Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 01-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #226
frodefe
Regular User

Found a picture of an old poster that shows the gear ratio.
I also believed that the CTR only had 5 gears - but this proves me wrong.

With a rpm max at 7750 the maximum, theoretical speed in each gear:
1st: 80-85 km/h
2nd: 145 km/h
3rd: 205 km/h
4th: 260 km/h
5th: 295 km/h
6th: 365-370

To me this looks strange. The ratio between each gear decreases, but it looks like the 5th gear are awfully short, and that 6th are really long.
But then again, it's primarily geared for maximum velocity
Old 01-06-2006, 02:30 AM   #227
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by frodefe
Found a picture of an old poster that shows the gear ratio.
I also believed that the CTR only had 5 gears - but this proves me wrong.

With a rpm max at 7750 the maximum, theoretical speed in each gear:
1st: 80-85 km/h
2nd: 145 km/h
3rd: 205 km/h
4th: 260 km/h
5th: 295 km/h
6th: 365-370

To me this looks strange. The ratio between each gear decreases, but it looks like the 5th gear are awfully short, and that 6th are really long.
But then again, it's primarily geared for maximum velocity
well, the gear ratios almost definately dont look 959 ish... so im thinking that it may be another Ruf costom job...

you definately have a point that 5th gear looks stupidly short... it would, however make sence if the first 5 ratios were close for ideal track use, with a tall 6th for those amazing records.

thanks for the pic +info...
im going to look for the R+T article from this past summer with the 1 mile shootout... that may have some more info.
edit:
no new info; but if you missed the read; CTR specific
Old 01-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #228
sentra_dude

I read this on a Porsche forum: [discussing the 997]
This is a perfect example of how much abuse you put on the syncro's when shifting from neutral into first gear when the car is not moving forward. For those of you who are in the practice of taking the the car out of gear at a stop light, better think again. It is not only unsafe and unnecessary, but can prematurely wear out the syncro's, causing grinding and gear pop out. Keep the car in gear.
Now, this goes in opposition to most of what I have heard/been taught...is it true?

It was in response to this post:
Has anyone had a problem shifting into first gear when coming to a stop? A couple of times I was at a complete standstill waiting for the light to turn green and when I pushed in the clutch so I can put the car into 1st, it didn't want to go in. Almost like something was blocking it.

I put it into 3rd and then back into 1st and it went in. First time it happened I thought maybe I didn't push the clutch in all the way, but it has happened a couple of times already and it concerns me.

Anyone else?...

The guy also said:
The arguement that many people make as to why they put the car in neutral when at a stop light is to save the throwout bearing from wearing out. No other part of the clutch system is engaged when you clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. The throwout bearing was designed to last far longer than even the most quality clutch disc will last. They are as durable as your wheel bearings which spin continuously as you drive. It is EXTREMELY rare that the throwout bearing would have problems before you needed to replace your clutch.

So, rather than take a chance on wearing out a $20 bearing that would cost $1500 to replace INCLUDING the cost of a new clutch kit), they prefer to take a chance on wearing out the synco's in the transmission. Makes no sense to me especially with the price of a new tranny being what it is. It isn't even safe to be in neutral when you are at a light or anywhere else on the street. Most of these people have never driven a car without syncro's where, if you weren't in first gear before the car stopped moving, you had to turn the car off to get it into gear.

What do you Porsche experts think about this...?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:37 AM   #229
dingo
Regular User

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that aswell, it is something I've thought about. I usually leave it in 1st gear unless I can tell its going to be red for awhile, then i put it in nuetral.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #230
Wutputt
Regular User

I always leave it in 1st gear at a stop. When holding the clutch completely open there isn't that much strain on the diaphragm spring, cause it is in a second state of rest. There is almost no wear in this case.

When shifting to neutral and back to first at a red light you're using more components, and those components are more vital and expensive. Hence I always leave it in first with the clutch disengaged of course . The only time when I would put it in neutral is if I would have a lot of pain in the muscles of my leg and I would have to keep the car to a halt for a long time.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #231
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Interesting question - especially since I always put it in neutral
i never thought about it either...
but even on my own (at least) 180k mile 5 speed bronco... the tranny never suffered...

oh my Saab, my 2nd gear sincromesh had broken... somehow causing me to loose 1rst and 3rd, and later, to get stuck in 2nd... confusing
Old 01-17-2006, 11:49 PM   #232
sentra_dude

Hmm, I wonder about this, if it was such a big deal wouldn't car manufactures tell us more (maybe they do, but I've sure missed it). And if it is so bad, how come more transmissions are dieing...most of the time I sit at a light in neutral and then put it in 1st, and my 1st gear is fine, its my 2nd & 3rd gears that have worn syncros... :fadein:

------------
Old 01-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #233
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Hmm, I wonder about this, if it was such a big deal wouldn't car manufactures tell us more (maybe they do, but I've sure missed it). And if it is so bad, how come more transmissions are dieing...most of the time I sit at a light in neutral and then put it in 1st, and my 1st gear is fine, its my 2nd & 3rd gears that have worn syncros... :fadein:
shifting at higher revs, and hard transitions offers more damage to the individual syncros... i know they bolster usually 1rst, 2nd, and 3rd on proper sports cars (the STi, the 04 Cobra both have tripple cone syncros on 1-3rd) the Ford GT has then through 4th gear, and dubble cone on 5th/6th i believe...

cars like a sentra (if your driving one) im guessing 2nd and 3rd arent nearly as beefed up as 1rst... and im guessing you usually ease out of neutral at low revs, but shift progresively higher?

i have no real idea where i shifted my bronco at... as i didn't have a tach... however, i shifted where i felt i was loosing power, and was ideal to take the next gear... but that engine was very tired, so im guessing i never shifted higher then 3500 lol

this is definately a question for somebody who knows transmissions a bit better, however.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:34 AM   #234
ae86_16v
Regular User

Okay, this is going to be a stupid question judging by all the informative comments and post made here, but here it is. . .

What is going to happen to the 911 Model Designation after 999? I would expect after the 997, would be the 998, then the 999. What happens after that?

And here is the better question, Lakatu, are you going to continue with your "Is the Rear Engine Design Fundementally Flawed?" discussion?

Thank you all for contributing.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 AM   #235
lakatu
Regular User

Thanks ae86_16v for reading the article and liking it enough to request more.

I actually started out writing the final article with some concepts in mind and while doing additional research, discovered that I was wrong about some of those ideas. That combined with what appeared to be relatively little interest in the subject by others caused me to abandon the final article. Besides I struggled to find the time to write the article.

At this point I would say I don't think that there will be a final article. But you never know.

In regards to your question about model designation, st-anger addressed that question here http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...ight=999#32232 There also may have been another discussion about that topic. You might be able to find that using the search feature. It certainly is an interesting situation.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #236
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by sentra_dude
shifting at higher revs, and hard transitions offers more damage to the individual syncros... i know they bolster usually 1rst, 2nd, and 3rd on proper sports cars (the STi, the 04 Cobra both have tripple cone syncros on 1-3rd) the Ford GT has then through 4th gear, and dubble cone on 5th/6th i believe...

cars like a sentra (if your driving one) im guessing 2nd and 3rd arent nearly as beefed up as 1rst... and im guessing you usually ease out of neutral at low revs, but shift progresively higher?

i have no real idea where i shifted my bronco at... as i didn't have a tach... however, i shifted where i felt i was loosing power, and was ideal to take the next gear... but that engine was very tired, so im guessing i never shifted higher then 3500 lol

this is definately a question for somebody who knows transmissions a bit better, however.
Interesting points, and I am actually driving a Celica, not a Sentra as my name would suggest. That is pretty much how it goes, very easy on 1st gear, and occasionally hard on 2nd and 3rd, but for the most part I try and be very nice to my trannie, I want it to last.

I would guess since my car isn't a sports car, it doesnt have beefed up syncros on 2nd or 3rd, but I could be wrong.

------------
Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 AM   #237
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu

I actually started out writing the final article with some concepts in mind and while doing additional research, discovered that I was wrong about some of those ideas. That combined with what appeared to be relatively little interest in the subject by others caused me to abandon the final article. Besides I struggled to find the time to write the article.

At this point I would say I don't think that there will be a final article. But you never know.

In regards to your question about model designation, st-anger addressed that question here http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...ight=999#32232 There also may have been another discussion about that topic. You might be able to find that using the search feature. It certainly is an interesting situation.
Lakatu - Yeah, I enjoyed reading about your thoughts. But it felt like you were just giving the introduction into your piece and it did not feel like you really express or presented the entire arguement.

So, I for one, am looking forward to continueing the series .

And let us know what you thought was wrong and how you came about it. It should definitely be an interesting piece.

In regards to the Model Designation, St. Anger said it is mostly marketing anyways. But we still have at least 2 more models to go, which makes it another 11 years.

Which brings me to another question, Porsche doesn't have designated new model cycles do they? It looks like a quick search on Google shows arbitrary ranges of model cycles. Although both the 993 and the 996 lasted 6 years each. But the 964 lasted only 5 years, and so on and so forth.

Is there a reason why?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 AM   #238
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Originally Posted by lakatu

Lakatu - Yeah, I enjoyed reading about your thoughts. But it felt like you were just giving the introduction into your piece and it did not feel like you really express or presented the entire arguement.

So, I for one, am looking forward to continueing the series .

And let us know what you thought was wrong and how you came about it. It should definitely be an interesting piece.

In regards to the Model Designation, St. Anger said it is mostly marketing anyways. But we still have at least 2 more models to go, which makes it another 11 years.

Which brings me to another question, Porsche doesn't have designated new model cycles do they? It looks like a quick search on Google shows arbitrary ranges of model cycles. Although both the 993 and the 996 lasted 6 years each. But the 964 lasted only 5 years, and so on and so forth.

Is there a reason why?
I'm guessing it comes down to market demand. If everyone built a 3200lb 450bhp+ car then the 997 would probably have to be developed within 5 years. It also depends if they can actually match the 911 - even with those kinds of figures.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:22 AM   #239
dingo
Regular User

A question to any of the Porsche experts, or maybe just an opinion is more what I want.

What are your thoughts on PASM being a standard feature on the 997 GT3? I have no first hand experience, but from what I've read/heard it isn't necassary for the best laptimes.....so why make it standard on a track-oriented car?

I realise alot of people thought the ride in the 996 GT3 was too harsh, so maybe this is in response to those complaints?

Another thing, isn't it difficult to remove the shocks/springs etc and replace them with aftermarket items without creating havoc with the onboard electronics/computers? Where does this leave customers who want an even more track-inspired suspension setup?

Hope that rambling made sense and isn't full of too much BS...
Old 02-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #240
luwalira
Regular User

I think that installing PASM in the 997 GT3 is an excellent idea. Come on, we all ahve seen GT3s rolling on the road and I do think that those owners wouldn't mind some comfort when they aren't driving on a track.
luwalira is offline   Reply With Quote