Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

. I am referring to a production car, that successfully for the first time has gone to market with an evolutionary completely non-oil powered engine
Not a first there either.. I can show you plenty of electric cars on the market. They all have the same problems this one has and no one buys them.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
Not a first there either.. I can show you plenty of electric cars on the market. They all have the same problems this one has and no one buys them.

And how would you fill up int he middle of Arizona or West Texas? Plug in and wait till it charged up? With electricty generated by oil and coal fired power stations hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #18
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
And how would you fill up int he middle of Arizona or West Texas? Plug in and wait till it charged up? With electricty generated by oil and coal fired power stations hehe
But the time it's charged you be dead in the middle of the desert.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #19
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
That rocks
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
deuces
Regular User

In my opinion, the reality of the situation is that this will be a successful car, whether or not it is practical. For those who will buy this car, it will be one among many in their garage, so it's not like they care about practicality. Celebs and millionaires alike are buying it for the image of being green, or just buying it for the sake of being green. This will give Tesla the revenues they need to then build a more practical electric performance car in a few years. For now, it's just a necessary evil to build capital.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by deuces View Post
In my opinion, the reality of the situation is that this will be a successful car, whether or not it is practical. For those who will buy this car, it will be one among many in their garage, so it's not like they care about practicality. Celebs and millionaires alike are buying it for the image of being green, or just buying it for the sake of being green. This will give Tesla the revenues they need to then build a more practical electric performance car in a few years. For now, it's just a necessary evil to build capital.
You are assuming that car collectors are even thinking of being green. Movie stars... Tesla needs much better marketing to do that... Holywood types know the auto industry like I know the Russian Language. I may be able to pick out 5-10 words, but comprehension is nil.

50 years ago+ celebs + cars made a difference in sales, not including the Governator and his Hummer's.

Styla, if you think logically, rather then emotionally.. you would see the car is crap, didn't hold to it's promices, and ultimately isn't a fun car for what it is worth.... that battery wont run at 100% power repeatable 0-60 runs throughout the day, let alone throughout its lifespan..
Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Styla, if you think logically, rather then emotionally.. you would see the car is crap, didn't hold to it's promices, and ultimately isn't a fun car for what it is worth.... that battery wont run at 100% power repeatable 0-60 runs throughout the day, let alone throughout its lifespan..
I couldn't agree more with you, Nth!

My point was that this car is breaking the combustion-engine mould, and perhaps beginning a new direction in how cars as we know them, are powered. Can this point be disputed? RC will probably conject that oil is the be all end all of a cars power delivery . But aside from RC, most people would agree with the reality that is in 10, maybe 20 years time we will most likely be driving non-combustion engine powered cars!

Thus my point is that this car seems to be creating a platform for which the automotive industry must start moving toward.

Not for a second do I believe that the Tesla, could compete today with the market as we know it in performance, reliability, comfort (ride & power delivery) or cost. Unless it was a Daewoo. Anything is better than a Daewoo.

Uniqueness though? 5 stars.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post

Uniqueness though? 5 stars.
A friend of mine has an electric car that is 105 years old, and the technology used then is remarkably similar, if smaller in stature then what is used today.

My point is that I don't care that there will be electric cars, so long as governments don't regulate the production of petrol, or regulate things like "CAFE" and such... let me buy the car I choose to... let the market decide the answer, not a silly government.

in 20-50 years time, I see petrol still being the primary driving source of personal transportation, and enthusiastic recreation, since it is the best compromise for performance, economy, and usability.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #24
graywolf624
Regular User

My point was that this car is breaking the combustion-engine mould, and perhaps beginning a new direction in how cars as we know them, are powered. Can this point be disputed?
Not really.. I just got done watching an episode of top gear from 1991 that featured an electric car that was sold. The reality is it isn't even ground breaking. Hell its not even the first supercar. There was a top gear some years back about a 300000 super car electric car.
And yes this point can clearly be disputed. Why?
At present all the electric car has shown for the last 30 years (and trust me your prolly showing your age but this whole alternative fuel source thing has been tried before) is it doesnt work.

But aside from RC, most people would agree with the reality that is in 10, maybe 20 years time we will most likely be driving non-combustion engine powered cars!
If we are it won't be for the reasons you think. Oil isnt running out and won't by any means. If we are it will be because some alternative is cheaper. Can you look us all in the face and tell us this car even comes close to that line? Before you have a concept that does that you don't have anything significant.

Show me an equal car to a petrol in at least some aspects.. and youll have one of the alternatives of the future.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:28 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

I think in 25 years the once powerful 1st World West will be struggling under the weight of impending financial implosion and collapse under the self imposed "green non-oil" energy failures, whilst the then powerful 3rd/2nd World will be dominating the world with its oil powered industry

Sort a reverse industrial revolution - The reformed Soviet Union, China, Africa and South America will be prospering using their own and middle eastern oil - while the west will barely be able to feed itself as the price of corn/sugar ect will have skyrocketed to new heights and become the next "wealth builders" for the energy companies.

All the while there will be no electricity to recharge the electric cars as all the powerplanst will be shut down.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #26
rusrocket
Regular User

car and driver posted sub-5 second 0-60 times in their test runs
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
HeilSvenska
Regular User

It's not very surprising since electric cars produces instant torque.

This car, for example, produces 1000ft lb of torque to the rear wheels.

It not going to go anywhere fast, though since it only has one gear. (Tesla)
Oh, incidentally, Tesla claims sub-4 sec 0-60.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #28
nthfinity
Regular User

They originally claimed sub 4 second....

is it new test in c+d that ran 4.x 0-60?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Gah! I just specced a Tesla Roadster up to $105,750 without doing anything!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #30
graywolf624
Regular User

car and driver posted sub-5 second 0-60 times in their test runs
I dout it somehow. The Tesla CEO himself said 5.7 seconds:
Tesla Motors President & CEO Ze’ev Drori December 27th 2007
To help speed delivery of cars, we will begin production in 2008 with an interim transmission design. These transmissions will meet high standards for reliability and durability, but the car will not meet the original performance spec for acceleration, reaching 60 mph in 5.7 seconds instead of the promised 4 seconds. When the final transmission is ready, we will retrofit all cars, at Tesla’s expense, to meet the promised performance specifications.
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog2/?p=55

Car and driver must be quoting original numbers cause the man isnt going to low ball his car. My whole point was.. by going from sub 4. to now just barely sub 6.. the car is not worth it.