Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default Tesla production slated for march 17.. car has already failed you heard it hear first

The Tesla has been approved by the feds for sale. It goes on Sale March 17th... But.. the car is a shell of its former self.

If you recall I pointed out they were experiencing problems with getting the transmission to work with the car and it would be significantly slower.. Well guess what..

Your 100,000 dollars buys you 0-60 in .... Wait for it.. 5.7 secs..
and 200 miles per charge.

Ladies and gentleman.. "Gasoline has left the building"<sic>
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10471
Old 01-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
styla21
Regular User

Gray. Why exactly, do you think this has failed?
For a complete alternative to oil based fuels, regardless of performance or mileage, this is still a dramatic breakthrough. Isn't it?

From a business stand-point, replacing all the gearbox's seems expensive!! They must have a real incentive to bring this to market.. Quickly!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
graywolf624
Regular User

For a complete alternative to oil based fuels, regardless of performance or mileage, this is still a dramatic breakthrough. Isn't it?
What exactly is it an alternative too? 200 miles a tank means its not a gt car. 2 seater means you cant carry people.. so not a people carrier..
5.7 seconds means its not a supercar as originally billed despite having all the negatives of one.
In fact 5.7 seconds is at best as fast as, what?, a hot hatch or a upper level Miata. The problem is these cars don't cost $100,000. So How many 5.7 second sports cars cost 100000? 0... So not competing there.

Finally we touch on the environment. Pollution.. 6000 Lithion batteries. That just went out the window.

The key was to be competitive wasn't it? Instead what we have is a elise that costs 2x as much, costs more to maintain, doesnt help the environment, is a second slower to 60, weighs signifcantly more... Seems like a step back to me.

Last edited by graywolf624; 01-26-2008 at 12:30 AM.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
What exactly is it an alternative too? 200 miles a tank means its not a gt car. 2 seater means you cant carry people.. so not a people carrier..
5.7 seconds means its not a supercar as originally billed despite having all the negatives of one.
In fact 5.7 seconds is at best as fast as, what?, a hot hatch or a upper level Miata. The problem is these cars don't cost $100,000. So How many 5.7 second sports cars cost 100000? 0... So not competing there.

Finally we touch on the environment. Pollution.. 6000 Lithion batteries. That just went out the window.

The key was to be competitive wasn't it? Instead what we have is a elise that costs 2x as much, costs more to maintain, doesnt help the environment, is a second slower to 60, weighs signifcantly more... Seems like a step back to me.
Regardless of the car's performance, isn't this car an evolution in technology that finally moves away from oil, or a part oil-based engine. The model T wasn't outstanding in its performance in its time, but within a decade, man's natural ability to enhance and improve its technologies had been demonstrated.

This car is not a logical purchase for you or I today, but does it not provide the template for cars we may be driving in 10 years time? Or otherwise can be described as, a "breakthrough"?

Last edited by styla21; 01-26-2008 at 01:59 AM.
styla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
graywolf624
Regular User

What your defining is a concept car not a production car. Certainly not a production car that was originally touted as a super car and went from 4 seconds to almost 6 seconds during realization.

The model t was competitive with the cars in its era for price per performance. The point is, it had practical value. What value is this car over whats out there? What entices the buyer? Thats the difference between a production car and a concept car. Even Im not cinic enough to believe the car is going to sell enough to stay afloat just because it has a different engine. If that were all that was needed I can show you about 50 local electric car companies that would be worth millions.. Instead Ive only ever seen them on the golf course and the show room floor.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
RC45
Regular User

The Model T built a nation by allowing the ordinary man to be mobile.

That is why it helped establish ther automobile, an industry, a region and unltimately an entire culture, way of life and empowered a nation....

This piece of crap does nothing - it doesnt even help reduce global warming..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
What your defining is a concept car not a production car.
I understand your point. I am referring to a production car, that successfully for the first time has gone to market with an evolutionary completely non-oil powered engine. A concept car has simply remained that - a concept. The Tesla, is going to market with what may be the most evolutionary step in the life of the engine. Big statement I know.

I cannot comment on the telsa's environmental impact - I do not profess to have your technical understandings, or knowledge in this area. It may turn out to be much worse than the petrol engine!! But the point is that this is an evolutionary tear-away from the automotive industry so long dominated by oil-based engines. The oil-tit, if you will, may have been weaned?
I agree with everything you are saying.

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
The Model T built a nation by allowing the ordinary man to be mobile. That is why it helped establish ther automobile, an industry, a region and unltimately an entire culture, way of life and empowered a nation....
And this all sounds great; but it is irrelevant. I asked whether the Tesla may be an
"evolution", not a revolution.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
And this all sounds great; but it is irrelevant. I asked whether the Tesla may be an
"evolution", not a revolution.
Actually very relevant - the Model T allowed millions access to personal transport... because it was cheap.

That allowed it to be evolutionary. The Tesler is so expensive it is going to be the 'enviorinmental fashion statement of the wealthy' - and at 4 times more expensive than the Toyota Prius which failed to be the "evolutionary" car of the 21st Century, what hope does the Tesla have?

Many would buy a hybrid or electric car - only if it was cheaper to buy than the cheapest gasoline car - and so far this has not been possible.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
pagani
Regular User

Cool

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
The Model T built a nation by allowing the ordinary man to be mobile.

That is why it helped establish ther automobile, an industry, a region and unltimately an entire culture, way of life and empowered a nation....

This piece of crap does nothing - it doesnt even help reduce global warming..
Electric cars suck
It's creating global warming.
The internal combustion engine is still the future in some form.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

its just another car to sucker people in the cloud of 'smugness', and time will forget the car.... not the man (Tesla).
Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
pilotvtm
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
its just another car to sucker people in the cloud of 'smugness', and time will forget the car.... not the man (Tesla).
nice saying there. nothing compares with the sound and feeling of an gasoline car!!!

pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pilotvtm View Post
nice saying there. nothing compares with the sound and feeling of an gasoline car!!!
I don't mind that there are 'alternative' fuels and such out there, as long as I (everybody) still have my freedom to buy, and drive whatever I want.

To me, the most true symbol of freedom is the automobile...
Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
pilotvtm
Regular User

I don't mind that there are 'alternative' fuels and such out there, as long as I (everybody) still have my freedom to buy, and drive whatever I want.

To me, the most true symbol of freedom is the automobile...::::::so true!!!!11
imagine a World Rally electrical powered car...LOL

pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by pilotvtm View Post
To me, the most true symbol of freedom is the automobile...::::::so true!!!!11
imagine a World Rally electrical powered car...LOL
That would be boring.
What would be next electric f1 cars ?
The internal combustion engine is still the king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
pagani
Regular User

Thumbs up

I agree 100% whit you