Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Real Jesus-mobile: V8, 400hp, 500lb ft, 180mph, AND 110mpg?!

...all in a 1987 Ford Mustang.

NAPOLEON, Ohio - Doug Pelmear has lots of secrets beneath the hood of his black 1987 Ford Mustang on which the only outward hint of individuality is a series of stickers.

But looks can be deceiving. Mr. Pelmear's 21-year-old pony car has enough technological innovation to quadruple the classic Mustang's original gas mileage while almost doubling its available horsepower.

That's 80 miles per gallon and 400 horsepower, folks. And the 48-year-old electronics engineer and master mechanic is not done yet.

The third-generation automotive tinkerer hopes that next year his Mustang - more specifically its engine - will help him win the $10 million Progressive Automotive X Prize: a "race" to find an affordable, marketable automobile that gets at least 100 miles per gallon, or its equivalent.

"I'm an optimist, and I think people need to know there is hope out there," Mr. Pelmear said. "That's why I decided to enter the X Prize race. I could have sold this [technology] off, but then people might not have seen it.

"It's not about the money. Our country really needs this."

The Progressive Automotive X Prize is sponsored by the X Prize Foundation to focus attention on and improve technology for real-world fuel economy.

Private teams compete in two categories, mainstream and concept, and compete against one another in a staged race that will judge performance, fuel economy, and marketability. There are no official entrants yet, but scores of teams have signed letters of intent to participate in the races, scheduled for 2009.

What radical technology did Mr. Pelmear introduce? His patents are not fully in place, but he said it mostly is a matter of electronics and precision.

"We redesigned a lot of different things on the [engine] block," the engineer said.

"It's still a rod-and-piston engine; it just has a lot more electronics on it."

Mr. Pelmear said that traditional gas engines operate "at a very low efficiency, like 8 to 10 percent, and our engine is like at 38 percent efficiency."

He said he could greatly increase even that number if his car used traditional gasoline instead of a mix of gas and 85 percent ethanol, which burns hotter but releases fewer hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

His engine also would be more efficient if he had sacrificed some of its 400 horsepower or 500 foot-pounds of torque, but Mr. Pelmear said his design is intended for "real-world" uses, not the laboratory.

"I'm not the highest-miles-per-gallon vehicle entered in the X Prize, but I think I'm the more consumer friendly, more down to earth, more conventional," he said.

Mr. Pelmear's Mustang is entered in the X Prize's "mainstream" competition against other modified pro-
duction cars.

According to the X Prize foundation, he will compete against several dozen other vehicles from around the world.

Mr. Pelmear, president of Horse Power Sales.net Inc. in Napoleon, already markets one of his fuel-saving, performance-enhancing inventions: a "girdle" that strengthens engine blocks by spanning the valley of V-configured engines.

After spending what he said is more than $1.4 million pursuing patents and his design work, he recently picked up a new partner: Rocket Ventures, a venture capital arm of the Regional Growth Partnership in Toledo.

Todd Davies, business development manager for the public-private Rocket Ventures, said the firm's involvement with Mr. Pelmear's firm fits in with the venture company's mission.

"He has a new technology, and what we help do is build the business around new technologies," Mr. Davies said. "This could be an American-built engine that could save the American auto industry."

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...SS02/807010341
Surely it was 11mpg, not 110?

Anyways, if this works, this... will be our salvation. (too sacrilegious?)
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Spiffu
Regular User

Pics or it didn't happen.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Would you believe it even with pics?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
graywolf624
Regular User

They have pics of the car, but he hasnt shown anyone the engine.. Something about no patents yet.. Sounds like snake oil to me.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
marcefer
Regular User

Wow
Isnīt it too good to be true?
If itīs a scam, itīs a good one..
If this is to promote his company, heīs doing it well.
If this is true, heīs a clever guy, but endangered.

How far do you think the OIL boys will let him go???
marcefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

Maybe if he does well in the race people will believe him.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

9 gallons of methanol and 1 gallon gasoline mixed, driven 100 miles, mean you went 100 miles, per gallon of gas...

No secret there
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
graywolf624
Regular User

He could be looking at instantaneous fuel going down a hill. Some of those older cars use to shut down the injectors under no load
Old 07-13-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
79TA
Regular User

my theory is that he misunderstood the idea of mpge (miles per gallon of equivalent.)

Soo, if he's running E85, his mileage in terms of gasoline only are quite augmented by a factor of 15! (divide by .15 for the 15% gas in the E85 mix)

So if that's the case, he'd be getting an understandable 15 mpge. Whatever, I'm guessing we'll be hearing lots of optimistic nonsense from some of the entrants in this contest.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote