Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 10-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
hemi_fan
Regular User

Default 2005 Mustang Abuse

Reverse Burnout = :roll:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/images/2005Mustang.wmv

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
FoxFour
Regular User

A brand new car, not even properly broken in and it's abused like that :fist: Even though the announcer was saying the man's name, I bet you that was not his car. Probably the sales manager got his hands on one of the first ones out and now he will sell it at serious overcost. How about another finger? 0X
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Vansquish
Regular User

Has anyone read the new Motortrend test yet? The '05 GT Automatic transmission equipped car recorded a 5.1 second 0-60mph time, and it costs $25k usd.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
racer_f50
Regular User

i dont' see why you guys consider that abuse...
its a Mustang for fuck's sake, its made for dropping the clutch and doing burnouts. the only thing being abused are the tires i'd say.
not like its an expensive car to replace parts on anyways.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
Mustang_66
Regular User

A friend of mine, his brother works for ford and he was told that the new GT's are having problems with the chassis twisting due to the amount of power they are putting out.

-Markus-
Mustang_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:28 AM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

A friend of mine, his brother works for ford and he was told that the new GT's are having problems with the chassis twisting due to the amount of power they are putting out.
well... not exactly 'twisting'
problems seem to arise out of how rigid the chassis is, and internal ford pollitics of 'who needs to know first' etc. :roll:
i must point out, working for Ford is different from working on the mustang

hmm... i havent recieved my new motor trend in the mail yet...
Old 10-03-2004, 04:18 PM   #7
hemi_fan
Regular User

How is that not abuse!! The forward gears are perfectly capable of handling the power durring a burnout, but in REVERSE!?! The reverse gear is not built to handle that kind of abuse. Im surprised it stood up to it. Also, the engine is most likely not broken in yet, and shouldnt be abused that hard!

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

that engine already has about 50,000miles on it. These days manufaturers are breaking in the engines at the factory and running them at high RPM for long stretches. Just how long they do it varies from company to company but it's somewhere between 48 and 72 hours.

The reason for this is because the average consumer doesn't know how to break an engine in properly. But the companies will tell you its quality control.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #9
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
that engine already has about 50,000miles on it. These days manufaturers are breaking in the engines at the factory and running them at high RPM for long stretches. Just how long they do it varies from company to company but it's somewhere between 48 and 72 hours.

The reason for this is because the average consumer doesn't know how to break an engine in properly. But the companies will tell you its quality control.
So in 48-72 hours they acumulate 50,000 miles on the car?
Then I want a Mustang since in your logic it can go roughly 1000 mph and that's damn fast.

And unless the Reverse gear is built onto one of the Syncros it is pretty much just as strong as the rest of the gears even beeing a Dog gear but yes it would be a little weaker if on the Syncro but they aren't that weak, every gear is built to handle the car in stock form, you have to worry about the Friction disc first.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #10
ZfrkS62
Regular User

so my figures aren't exact. my point is the engine is already broken in and can handle that sort of punishment.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #11
FoxFour
Regular User

Would you buy a new $25.000 car like that?
Originally Posted by racer_f50
i dont' see why you guys consider that abuse...
its a Mustang for fuck's sake, its made for dropping the clutch and doing burnouts. the only thing being abused are the tires i'd say.
not like its an expensive car to replace parts on anyways.
You must be really rich, drive a car like that all the time and then say hello to buying and installing parts for it all the time. Of course, you could take it to the dealership to have it fixed under warranty, till they find out that the owner has been doing burnouts with it. There's driving a car hard and then ther's abuse. That's abuse.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #12
sentra_dude

Isn't that what American cars are made for though?

Yea, its a bit of an asshole thing to do, but its not like its a Ferrari...

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:18 PM   #13
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by FoxFour
Would you buy a new $25.000 car like that?
i wouldn't buy a Mustang to begin with.

Originally Posted by FoxFour
You must be really rich, drive a car like that all the time and then say hello to buying and installing parts for it all the time. Of course, you could take it to the dealership to have it fixed under warranty, till they find out that the owner has been doing burnouts with it. There's driving a car hard and then ther's abuse. That's abuse.
I've seen it posted before that Ford tests their Mustangs for drop-clutch launches and stuff on a drag strip over and over and over. They're not going to put a weak clutch in a car like this, cuz they know that people who buy Mustangs are going to do lots of burnouts. Sure theres probly one or 2 guys who actually buy them and don't, but around here its mostly girls and cocky guys who buy them cuz they think they'll look cool.
Even replacing the clutch wouldn't be very expensive, and i doubt you'd have to do it very often. As for the reverse gear, that guy probly won't be doing burnouts in reverse very often, and i'm sure Ford's gears are fairly heavy-duty. The only thing i'd worry about on a car like that would be the tires, but you can get some cheap tires for like $40 a tire and do burnouts all day and you own't be out much money. I'm not saying i'd do any of this, but it shouldn't be such a shock to see a Mustang owner doing this.
If this were a Ferrari, sure it would get really expensive really quick, but since its a Ford, you can fix it yourself pretty cheaply.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #14
Kal-EL905
Regular User

That was a cool video. I love the styling of the new Mustang.

1994 Nissan Sentra--2000 1st place winnner- Tuner ET class-Toronto Motorsports Park
-1.6 litre engine, 5 speed
-Intake, custom exhaust

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
-350 cu.in. engine
-Intake, custom exhaust
Kal-EL905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:28 AM   #15
noliebro
Regular User

what a proper american car, excellent video!

In a Porsche 911, you're going to have a very good time actually driving the thing, but everyone is going to hate you. They're going to give you dirty looks as you drive by, call you names at the lights, vandalise your paintwork in the night and never, ever let you out of a side turning. That's a given.

In the Vantage, everyone's going to want your babies.
-J.C.
noliebro is offline   Reply With Quote