Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Nissan GT-R
subzero 46 44.66%
cool 32 31.07%
uncool 16 15.53%
seriously uncool 9 8.74%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #16
silentm
Regular User

uncool - don't like the looks too much and the hype and 'marketing' surrounding the car
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
frenky12
Regular User

Cheap SuperCar
frenky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by frenky12 View Post
Cheap SuperCar
Except it's not cheap at all right now. I'm going to withold voting until I know more about it. Why is this car shrouded in rumors after rumors? It's not looking good.

Otherwise, in the subjective parts, it's so ugly and soulless that it makes me actually like R33 & R34 GT-Rs.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #19
Evo8
Regular User

How come it's not subzero yet? You might not particularly like the design - but look at it, the Japs finally did do some design work other than copy-paste. And its looks are quite unique.

The mini veyron is here
It's not mini veyron - it's how Veyron should have been done, were it to come from a better company than Volkswagen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordsch...test_lap_times

7:25 Nissan GT-R V-Spec
7:27.82 Pagani Zonda F Clubsport
7:29.03 Nissan GT-R
7:32.02 Porsche 911 GT2 2008
7:32.44 Porsche Carrera GT
7:34 Koenigsegg CCR
7:38 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren SLR 722 GT
7:40 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
7:40 Bugatti Veyron 16/4

That is what they call...
OWNED.

P.S. What's more, it's not like GT-R is
some racing Caterham or Radical - it's a perfectly road-suited, safe, relatively spacious, comfortable car.

Last edited by Evo8; 06-19-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Fast doesn't always equal cool. It may be fast, but it's still ugly as sin, and too big. No one car-savvy's going to be impressed with that gob or the flashy styling. Yes I said styling, not design. It's trying too hard.

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
it's a perfectly road-suited, safe, relatively spacious, comfortable car.

That somehow makes it less cool. It's not a dangerous hardcore car, which would be instantly subzero. Or were it a family car that happen to do under 8:00, that'd be subzero too. It's neither of those, and despite it not being a race car, the GT-R was bred specifically to go fast around Nurburgring.

I just realized that I haven't voted on it. Hmmmm.

On a side note, when the Japanese try to be just Japanese (not copying others) it's a very hit or miss affair. Just take a look at this.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
torrentjunkie
Regular User

whats better than thrashing round the nurburgring virtually in an R35 then jumping into a real one at the ring and realising very little has changed? PS3 on wheels, just they forgot to include the reset button. whats better than that? sub zero IMO.

>isnt that car ^^^ an ASL Garaiya?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #22
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by torrentjunkie View Post
whats better than thrashing round the nurburgring virtually in an R35 then jumping into a real one at the ring and realising very little has changed? PS3 on wheels, just they forgot to include the reset button. whats better than that? sub zero IMO.

>isnt that car ^^^ an ASL Garaiya?
Nope, that's the Mitsuoka Orochi

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
Evo8
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Fast doesn't always equal cool. It may be fast, but it's still ugly as sin, and too big.
Yes, a car may be fast, but ugly and so not cool. This car looks very nice for me. And size... Well, smaller than VW Veyron.

However, what I don't get is why people vote the also ugly VW Veyron to be cool, and this not. Veyron's key feature is performance - hello, this got lots more of it. And this is a car that will actually be raced, not just decorated in gold and driven by a rich dude's trophy wife at 40mph. Veyron is bling - Skyline and GT-R are true sports cars.

This car isn't hardcore like Caterham, but at least it has that *thing* that will keep non-drivers out of it. And it doesn't have that bling that makes it look like a piece of jewelry.
So why do people vote Veyron as cool and GT-R not? I think the reason is simple: lots of awes from the popular press on the Veyron, and much less on GT-R. Much less from popular sources.

It's neither of those, and despite it not being a race car, the GT-R was bred specifically to go fast around Nurburgring.
It was built for handling. All European manufacturers test it around Nurburgring - it's just a good indication. Nissan really did it this time.

Although I wonder how would it compare to a Skyline R34 beefed up to 480hp.
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #24
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
Y
So why do people vote Veyron as cool and GT-R not? I think the reason is simple: lots of awes from the popular press on the Veyron, and much less on GT-R. Much less from popular sources.
Why do you care what ppl vote? Vote is vote, everyone is entitle to their own opinion. I could vote a Ferrari 250 GTO seriously uncool and it's no body's business.

BTW, have you read much magazine and online review lately? It's ALL about the 7:29 anti gravity / physics GT-R.

As a side note: I do agree with you it's quite hard to vote uncool for the GT-R.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #25
Mattk
Regular User

I don't think it looks ugly at all. I've never seen one in real life, but extrapolating from the graphical depiction does not give a bad-looking result. It's cool.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #26
79TA
Regular User

See all related GT-R posts and you'll be able to figure out how I voted.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #27
Dubai
Regular User

Uncool.
The super speed that it caries is amazing, but no way it matched it's looks. Altho I would like to have one.
Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #28
sdijkstra
Regular User

Uncool.
It may be very fast, but as most other Asian cars it is simply another consumer product. Or a white good with wheels, as Mr. Clarkson recently put it.
sdijkstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #29
Evo8
Regular User

"White good"?? It's got perhaps the second most bold styling out of the last decade's production cars, after Caparo T1. Or, at least, some of the boldest. And the interior is another tale of uniqueness.
Sorry, if you call it a "white good", you know nothing about it, or are thinking about the older Skylines, like R32. But the R35 is one love or hate styling. It's as much a "white good" as a Salvadore Dali painting.

Having said that, a problem is that it's slow. Not only almost 1% slower than the Ferrari Enzo, but even beaten by Ariel Atom, though by a tiny bit.
Now the only hope is that the V-spec might fix it, but until then, it just hasn't done it. Although another hope is on tuners, the Skyline engines are known to easily pull out a lot of boost, wondering if this one keeps up. Being V6 and very heavy, it might. Still, the most important part is the ease of tuning, not the limit per se.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #30
Viceroy
Regular User

The mighty GT-Rs have lately been about technological wizardry but this R35 is too much. Uncool.