Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Mercury gone by 2012?

Sadly, I'd rather have it go away than for it to continue on as a pathetic excuse for a brand. Mercury had nothing unique to offer for so many years. Sigh.

Mercury will soon join Oldsmobile and Plymouth in Valhalla until the second coming of the automotive golden age when they will be called to fight once more. (probably against each other.)

SANTA MONICA, California — Although Ford officials still won't confirm the impending death of Mercury, supplier sources tell Inside Line that the midlevel luxury brand has no products planned after the 2012 model year.

The last model standing is likely to be the Milan midsize sedan as it will get a midcycle refresh early next year along with the Ford Fusion. Other models like the Sable, Grand Marquis and recently refreshed Mariner will continue until roughly the 2011/2012 model year as well.

None of this comes as a surprise, as Mercury has been absent from the auto show scene for quite some time. When Lincoln revealed the MKT crossover concept at this year's Detroit auto show, there was no mention of a Mercury version.

It was much the same story when a photo of the next-generation Ford Taurus leaked out last month. Ford's CEO Alan Mulally confirmed that a new Taurus was on the way for 2010, but said nothing about a Mercury version.

In a subsequent interview with Automotive News, Mark Fields, Ford's President of the Americas, was equally evasive about the future of Mercury. "We've laid out a strategy to focus a lot of our efforts going forward on the Lincoln side of the franchise," Fields said when asked about Mercury. "That's where a majority of our focus is going to be, and Lincoln will become the dominant portion of the Lincoln-Mercury franchise, which is a flip from the history."

-edmunds
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
torrentjunkie
Regular User

Great news! now there's more metal available for REAL manufacturers who dont build cars as disposable items
Old 06-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
79TA
Regular User

uhm, real manufacturers, whether you like it or not, do design with disposal in mind. It's only realistic. While I generally find this distressing, I am thankful as well. I look forward to the future knowing that thousands of econobubble Toyotas and Nissans will be dead, gone, and mostly recycled. We can only hope that their replacements have some semblance of soul.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote