Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 02-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
FoxFour
Regular User

Default My '96 Mustang Cobra

Here I am, standing behind my car, at a Mustang car show, wearing a Colin Chapman, Lotus shirt
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1323/img_1168.jpg
Sorry, could not get the picture to show up, just click on the link.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
gis
Regular User

nice cobra,i like the colour and looks very tidy,congrats

whats the performance of it?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

nice cobra, foxfour. these are one of the cars on my list that i'm considering for a new ride. how do you like it?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
FoxFour
Regular User

Well, the performance of the car is very good. Right now I just have some basic bolt ons that increase engine performance a little and I had some subframe connectors welded onto the chassis to increase stiffness. The suspension is still factory stock. The factory struts and shocks are still in good shape so I will not touch them now. I was thinking about upgrading the suspension pieces but I do not want to get lowering springs and such right now. In my opinion, the current Mustang's handling performance is a little under rated. I have been driving Mustangs since 1987, my prior car being a 1984 Mustang SVO; and you just have to be familiar with the car in order to attack corners with aplomb.
Hardcore- The current chassis Mustang is a great car IMO. Tight body, comfortable ride, nice ergonomics. Try to avoid the '96-'98 GT's. Those engines are not very powerful and the heads are a serious restriction in creating horsepower. If you are able to find a nice 5.0 powered '94-'95 GT or Cobra, '96-current Cobra or '99 and up GT; get it.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
Old 02-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #5
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

thanks, foxfour. i would like to get a early model cobra, or a Fox-body notchback with the 5.0
i guess it all comes down to what i can find in my area. its a little scarce.....
im just waiting for my tax reurn and i should be able to satrt looking for a new car. im sick of this crapbox im driving now.....ugh...
Old 02-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
hirev
Regular User

I gotta chime in here, in 1997 i bought a new GT convertible, 5 speed, it was a real lemon and a dog performance wise, but it had a great a/c, room for 2 little kids in the back, and sounded great. it also sprung a leak in the intake manifold, needed a new gearbox and then alwasy sifted like a truck even with a linkage package, the seat wore out, the window seals and exterior trim broke of fell off each month, and watch out in the rain.

I have always had a soflt spot for mustangs, had a gt convertible , 1989 also. that one was also mechanically junk, but fun. these are fun cars that don't cost much and you can mod them in a million ways, like miatas...they are also inexpensive to buy, new and used and are an american icon...but quality...not. the cobra i drove in 1999 had irs and that helped alot.
hirev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #7
jpatino03
Regular User

That's a nice Cobra, man. Does it have that great loud whine from the blower like the newer ones?

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #8
gis
Regular User

^^^^ now i aint no expert of american cars,but isnt the 2003 cobra the only model they did with a supercharger?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
FoxFour
Regular User

Yes, the 2003 -2004 model Cobras currently are the only ones that are supercharged. The engine doesn't whine, but it makes a higher pitch sound when the tach needle swings past 4000 rpm on it's way to it's 7250 rpm redline.
Hardcore- A 5.0 car makes a great first project. If the engine is in good shape, adding stuff like a hotter cam,heads, intake manifold, exhaust; etc can really make good power. Here are two pictures of my friends '93 GT, it currently dynos around 310 RWHP.

Adolf Galland
Old 02-27-2004, 11:41 PM   #10
hemi_fan
Regular User

wow, thats a nice car! very clean in and out, especially for an 11 y/o car! All the mustangs ive looked at were all rusted and beaten to shit by now.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:53 PM   #11
jpatino03
Regular User

Sorry about the error. I didn't know.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:42 AM   #12
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by jpatino03
Sorry about the error. I didn't know.
Nothing to be sorry about
Adolf Galland
Old 02-29-2004, 04:08 AM   #13
Riese1825
Regular User

That is fat as hell.
Riese1825 is offline   Reply With Quote