Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-21-2006, 12:41 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Originally Posted by RC45
Again, the purpose of this isn't to test how much the hardware will affect one application; rather, it's a test to see how much improvement there will be with regards to multitasking.
The answer, not much at all.

I gave up an 8way dual core system (16 effective procs is what Windows saw) a while back - because it did nothing quicker than any other system with the same clock speed would do... even when using multi-proc aware applicaitons.

It's only value was bragging rights..
Well. Then there's no point then is there?

*kicks a can*
There is however a strong argument for dual core/dual proc...

You wont get anything done quicker than the same single proc system of the same clock speed... but you will be able to do "more"...

So you could in theory have a video rendering and then use the free cpu cycles to review the web or continue other work.. instead of having the system at 100% CPU and unusable.. or you could do 2 things at once (say render a video) and then have the system at 100% usage.

With the 8cpu 16 core system, Iw as aboe to render 12 videos at once - but since the system was only 1.2GHZ the 12 videos rendered slower than a single video rendering on a 1.5GHZ single proc box.. but - you get 12 times the work done - if you have the need that is.

There is no doubt that there is valid commerical (and even high end hobby need) for such systems, but you would get more fun out of 2 single proc dual core gaming systems for in house mini-LAN parties than a single dual cpu quad core system

Of course, if you have money to burn - then go for it, but don't forget to first donate $5 to JW...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
Sir_GT
Regular User

Again, the purpose of this isn't to test how much the hardware will affect one application; rather, it's a test to see how much improvement there will be with regards to multitasking.
The answer, not much at all.

I gave up an 8way dual core system (16 effective procs is what Windows saw) a while back - because it did nothing quicker than any other system with the same clock speed would do... even when using multi-proc aware applicaitons.

It's only value was bragging rights..
Well. Then there's no point then is there?

*kicks a can*
There is however a strong argument for dual core/dual proc...

You wont get anything done quicker than the same single proc system of the same clock speed... but you will be able to do "more"...

So you could in theory have a video rendering and then use the free cpu cycles to review the web or continue other work.. instead of having the system at 100% CPU and unusable.. or you could do 2 things at once (say render a video) and then have the system at 100% usage.

With the 8cpu 16 core system, Iw as aboe to render 12 videos at once - but since the system was only 1.2GHZ the 12 videos rendered slower than a single video rendering on a 1.5GHZ single proc box.. but - you get 12 times the work done - if you have the need that is.

There is no doubt that there is valid commerical (and even high end hobby need) for such systems, but you would get more fun out of 2 single proc dual core gaming systems for in house mini-LAN parties than a single dual cpu quad core system

Of course, if you have money to burn - then go for it, but don't forget to first donate $5 to JW...
Good thing you reminded me. I've just setup a new paypal account.

Let me just put money in and pay the big guy...

I'm still curious, so I'll still be doing quite a bit more research.