Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 11-14-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
deth
Regular User

Default I need your help!

Hey guys, basically the problem is that i've moved into a new apartment about 3 months ago. i'm renting it from some guy, but am communicating w/ him through the head of security who happen to manage these suites. basically since i;ve moved in i;ve been asking him to fix things ie. the drawers are broken, cabinet doors are missing, fixtures are broken etc. its really starting to piss me off...i cant even get a hold of the actual landlord, cuz he hasnt given me back the copy of the contract (after 3 months!!!) i'm getting really pissed since this place aint cheap for a student ($1250CDN/month for a one bedroom), and dunno what to do.

thanks,
deth
Old 11-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
jon_s
Regular User

I don't know any Canadian Law, but your first move should be to get hold of a copy of the contract. Are you renting directly from the land lord or through an agency? Is is a short term lease? i.e less than a year?
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:45 PM   #3
deth
Regular User

from the landlord...but through the head of secutiry who is in charge of the suite.. the security guard wont give me the contract. evey time i ask he;ll say 'sure, i'll give it to you later.' etc.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:53 PM   #4
jon_s
Regular User

In future, try to get a photocopy of the contract before you give it to the landlord.

Your best bet would be to find your local Law Center. I found this place, it can advise you on what to do next:

http://www.legalline.ca/

It is all free, it is not legal advice, but an 'opinion'. If needed, they can take a case on for you. I think that they would have the best idea of your position. Also, if they cannot help themselves, they will be able to tell you who can.

Good luck

In fact, here is a list of all the places that can help:

http://www.legalline.ca/d1.html
-goto Landlord&Tenant
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
altezza
Regular User

Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations
http://www.torontotenants.org/
Free Hotline: (416) 921-9494

give them a call and see if they can help you (or give some advices to you)
Old 11-14-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
jinmin803
Regular User

and if you are a student, there might be an organization within your school that deals with these kinds of issues with landlords. I know that my school does, and this might depend on each school.
jinmin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:08 PM   #7
deth
Regular User

right..i'll try all of those! thanks a lot guys!
Old 11-15-2003, 06:49 PM   #8
maalox
Regular User

Which school are you at? Most universities have law practices where law students do pro bono work for other students. Obviously one of the biggest issues is tenant-landlord stuff. Check in with them. Also, look over the Tenant Protection Act. It covers many standard issues encountered with landlords and overrides and contract you may have signed. (For example, the TPA states that you can have pets no matter what your landlord might make you sign.) Hope things work out dude.
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote