Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Default '62 Testa Rossa Spyder - Highest Ferrari auction bid @ $9M+

Winning bid + 10% commission fee: €6,875,000 = $9,252,375

Originally Posted by 4wheelsblog.com
RM Auctions and Sotheby’s just concluded an historic auction at Ferrari headquarters that produced the greatest price ever paid for a Ferrari.

Among the nearly $50 million worth of Ferraris sold, the record LeMans-winning 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rosa Spyder was won by anonymous telephone bidder for the price of €6,875,000.

While the ‘62 Tesa Rosa Spyder didn’t go for enough to make it the most expensive car auction ever (that record’s held by a 1931 Bugatti Type 41 Royal Sports Coupe that was sold by Christie’s back in 1987 for $11 million), it’s certainly near the top. It does, however, make the car the most expensive Ferrari every auctioned.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

!!!

Results of the auction
http://www.rmauctions.com/auctionres...salecode=ff07#

RM Auctions Press Release for the event
RM AUCTIONS IN ASSOCIATION WITH SOTHEBY'S, RELEASES CATALOG OF SIGNIFICANT FERRARIS OFFERED AT MARANELLO AUCTION
Ferrari – Leggenda e Passione

Le Mans winning 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa graces the cover of RM Auctions’ recently released Ferrari: “Leggenda e Passione” auction catalog, featuring an unprecedented collection of significant sports and racing Ferraris to be offered for sale by RM Auctions in association with Sotheby’s, in Maranello, Italy - May 20, 2007

London, England (May 7, 2007) – RM Auctions in association with Sotheby's, are pleased to announce the much anticipated auction catalog of historic and notable Ferrari sports and racing cars that will be offered for sale on Sunday, May 20, 2007 at the legendary home and birthplace of Ferrari in Maranello, Italy. The auction event “FERRARI: Leggenda e Passione” will be highlighted by such significant automobiles as the 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa (Chassis 0808) that was piloted to victory at the 1962 Le Mans by world champion Phil Hill and Oliver Gendebien - one of the most valuable and important Ferraris ever offered at auction.

The full-color 250 page auction catalog features many significant milestone automobiles from nearly every decade of Ferrari’s 60 years of motoring history from the earliest 1953 Ferrari 340/375 MM Berlinetta Competizione, to the recent Grand Prix winning 2006 Ferrari 248 F1 race car. Other important consignments include many of Ferrari’s most desirable and iconic sports cars and legendary racing models, each factory certified for authenticity through Ferrari’s Classiche Division. Also offered at this special event is an oustanding collection of automotive memorabilia from Ferrari’s own archives, many with a connection to the greatest legends of motor sport – Nuvolari, Fangio, Hill, Mansell, Schumacher, and the current team of Massa and Räikkönen. Complete event details and auction lot listings can be found at: www.rmauctions.com

The purchase of the RM “Leggenda e Passione” auction catalog available for €65 Euros / $80 US (plus shipping) also includes admission for two at the event when presented at the event entrance located at Ferrari’s Fiorano racetrack. Catalogs are available for purchase from RM Auctions at: www.rmauctions.com or by calling +1-519-352-4575, and also available at Sotheby’s in London +44 (0) 20 7293 6000, the Ferrari Store and Galleria Ferrari in Maranello, and online at www.ferraristore.com Special activities and events for the Press are planned for Saturday, May 19th.

The weekend event schedule for Leggenda e Passione is as follows:

Friday, May 18, 2007 Public Viewing 10:00 AM - 17:00 PM Saturday, May 19, 2007 Public Viewing 10:00 AM - 17:00 PM Cocktail Reception 19:00 PM - 22:00 PM (by invitation) Sunday, May 20, 2007 Public Viewing 10:00 AM - 13:00 PM Auction 13:00 PM - 18:00 PM Location Ferrari S.p.A. 41042 Fiorano, Maranello, Italy

About RM Auctions, Inc. Celebrating nearly 30 years in the collector car industry, RM Auctions Inc. and its associated companies are responsible for acquisitions, restorations and sales of the world’s rarest and most valuable vintage automobiles. In 2006, RM Restorations achieved unprecedented accolades, when its restorations earned “Best of Show” honors at the world’s top three collector car events in a single year. www.rmauctions.com

About Sotheby's Sotheby's is the parent company of Sotheby's worldwide auction, private sales and art-related financing activities. The Company operates in 34 countries, with principal salerooms located in New York and London. The Company also regularly conducts auctions in 14 other salerooms around the world, including Australia, Hong Kong, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Singapore. Sotheby's Holdings, Inc. is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol BID.

About Ferrari S.p.A. Exclusivity, technological excellence, precision engineering and outstanding performance are the hallmarks of Ferrari S.p.A. a unique sports car manufacturer. Based in Maranello, Italy, Ferrari delivers to its clients about 5,700 individually crafted cars annually, each a work of art. Since the car first appeared in 1947, the famous Prancing Horse on a yellow shield has represented the motoring and racing ideal among Ferrari fans around the world.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

There were a couple GTOs that sold for more ... read here --> http://www.ferraris-online.com/Articles/SCM_0209.html

In fact, I recently saw a current ad of a black 250 GTO for sale for a princely $30MM. Fucking crazy price! I think $8MM is a fair price now for a true GTO.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

there was that one GTO that sold for over 12M.. in the 80s i think..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

They claim it was the highest price paid for a Ferrari in an auction.. :bah:
Old 05-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Erez
there was that one GTO that sold for over 12M.. in the 80s i think..
6M i believe... i used to have the link.

the most expensive car sold to date was post-auction, when the auction winner was having his photo taken in the Bugatti Royal, the bidding loser ended up paying $15 million. This Bugatti was once used to deliver a Pizza
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

well then maybe the one i'm talking about wasn't auctioned :bah:

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Hmm.. there are a couple GTO's that sold for very high prices missing from that list.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
SilviaEvo
Regular User

i thought they sold one already for around 9m that was like some guys daily driver?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
sameerrao
Regular User

Why dont you all read the article posted above in my first post --> it has a lot of answers to your questions.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by sameerrao
Why dont you all read the article posted above in my first post --> it has a lot of answers to your questions.
We are lazy.

ops:
I did - the article is missing a number of high priced GTO sales
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #12
sentra_dude

Quite a bit of money! I've seen this car in person, what a glorious V12 sound and amazing presence! The best thing about it was the (previous) owner used it how it was meant to be used. He was not shy about taking it on the track or even driving it to work. 8)

From French Quarter Classic 2005:

I wish I'd taken more pictures of it when I had the chance!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
sameerrao
Regular User

Nice pics Sentra.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Cool photos dude, can't imagine having to sit in traffic on my way to work in that thing :shock:
Old 05-28-2007, 01:14 AM   #15
sentra_dude

Thanks for the compliments.

I also heard he drove his F50 to work on a somewhat regular basis (I think he has since sold it as well), and that it was one of the highest mileage F50s in North America... 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote