Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #16
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by antonioledesma
Originally Posted by Global Hemisphere
Originally Posted by antonioledesma

the prius and accord hybrid will be waste once they come up with better engines and mpg
Well on this point I think you are wrong just because there are so few used hybrids in the market place and the fact that new hybrids are still pretty expensive. Even when they do come out with better hybrids the old ones will be in VERY high demand for years to come. If I were a used car dealer I would look at any hybrids I could get my hands on as solid gold!!
NO NO no... I'm never wrong
well... of course right now hybrids are the hottest thing in the car industry. And if hybrids were sold here in mexico and I still were selling used cars, I would buy some. Of course this in other timeline, space-continium

I don't have a clue of the current value of an used hybrid. As I know they are pricy in the used market. But I would not bet that hybrids will retain their current value in the next 4-5 years.
Why? simply because they will cool off and start loosing their used value.
IMO
Well I agree but you need to adjust your timeframe to more like 10 years. Hybrids are going to be RED hot for at least the next 5 years new. Every major auto maker is scrambling to add more hybrid models as soon as possible. I have seen some estimates that 50% of the cars on the market will be hybrids in 5 years. I don’t see the used market for these cars cooling off for a long, long time simply because the used market is so over saturated with cars right now and just a tiny % are hybrids!

Would I want one? Hell no. Would I want to buy one if I was a used car salesman? It would be the #1 car I would be trying to get!!
Global Warming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #17
5vz-fe
Regular User

Just a little fact for u guys to argue on (:flameproof jacket on

It's quite risky owning a hybrid after the battery warranty is gone. Altho manufactures say that batteries will last 150k ~ 200k (link), it might last less and replacing a battery will cost thousands of dollars.

Toyota offers a 100,000 mile warranty on emission components and battery pack, and that Honda offers an 80,000 mile warranty on the same—on top of the traditional 3-year/36,000 mile warranty on the conventional systems
Old 07-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #18
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Just a little fact for u guys to argue on (:flameproof jacket on

It's quite risky owning a hybrid after the battery warranty is gone. Altho manufactures say that batteries will last 150k ~ 200k (link), it might last less and replacing a battery will cost thousands of dollars.

Toyota offers a 100,000 mile warranty on emission components and battery pack, and that Honda offers an 80,000 mile warranty on the same—on top of the traditional 3-year/36,000 mile warranty on the conventional systems
Good point. but as hybrids become more common, which they are about to like none of us can imagine!! Like DVD over VHS, speed! That battery replacement will become MUCH, MUCH cheaper.

Like it or not Hybrids will change every aspect of our car world in the next few years...

I mean come on, in 5 years Jiffy Lube will be doing battery replacements.
Global Warming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:49 AM   #19
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Is that for the US only though? Because here, the 7-series depreciates like mad. It's the 3-series, M cars, X trucks, and Z cars which hold their value over here. The "standard" saloons (MB C,E; BMW 5,7) all lose nearly 60% in their first 3 years.
Yeah I am sure this is USA only. And our Accord is not the same as your Accord. Your Accord is our Acura TSX. Our Accord is called the "Inspire" in Japan.

P.S. do you guys have a hybrid TSX (a.k.a. euro accord) over there?

I think you do have a diesel version of it though that we don’t have in our accord or TSX...
Nope, no hybrid TSX/Accord yet. In fact, there are still very few hybrid cars in the market over here, simply because the most well known one (Prius) looks like crap.

In London, it doesn't matter what powers your car... it's how your car looks. Style reigns supreme.

That might change though... Lexus has already brough out the Hybrid RX300 (?) SUV which should, to my knowledge, be free from Central London's £8 congestion charge.

If so, and the same applies to Merc's upcoming S class (which will released with a hybrid engine), then you could expect hybrids to explode over here. It's just at the moment, everybody (who is concerned with consumption) would rather get a diesel.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:26 AM   #20
inso
Regular User

Only reason for 7series holding it´s price so well is, new bangle designed 7-series. Btw Mini is also bmw, so there is 3models high up from bmw. And minis are crappy british built cars..
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:05 AM   #21
5vz-fe
Regular User

Is that for the US only though? Because here, the 7-series depreciates like mad. It's the 3-series, M cars, X trucks, and Z cars which hold their value over here. The "standard" saloons (MB C,E; BMW 5,7) all lose nearly 60% in their first 3 years.
Yeah I am sure this is USA only. And our Accord is not the same as your Accord. Your Accord is our Acura TSX. Our Accord is called the "Inspire" in Japan.

I think you do have a diesel version of it though that we don’t have in our accord or TSX...
Nope, no hybrid TSX/Accord yet. In fact, there are still very few hybrid cars in the market over here, simply because the most well known one (Prius) looks like crap.
So u guys don't have this model? http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8779

Interesting, since gasoline in UK (or Europe in general) are more expensive than NA, it will make more sense if Honda also sell their Hybrid Accords and Civics over there.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #22
Sydbom
Regular User

usually porsche boxster "wins" these kind of lists but here its not even on it..... something is strange!
and BMWs most expensive cars falls like rocks as soon as you open the door to the dealer so whats up with that?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #23
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe

So u guys don't have this model? http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8779

Interesting, since gasoline in UK (or Europe in general) are more expensive than NA, it will make more sense if Honda also sell their Hybrid Accords and Civics over there.
We don't even have that accord model you just linked. That's the model Honda released in SE Asia, but here, it's your TSX.

It does make more sense to sell hybrids here, but I think the manufacturers are all doing a bit of wait-and-see with regards to the viability. As I've said, the Prius is doing poorly over here. That may have led to the slight delay of other brands in introducing hybrids to the UK... now if the RX300 hybrid or the S-class hybrid sells well, then we should expect a huge rush of hybrids in the next 5-10 years.

If anything, Europe needs the Frenchies (Renault, Citroen, Peugeot) to introduce hybrids to the masses. That's the only way they'll crack the "cool" barrier over here. Japanese brands (excluding Subaru) are generally seen by European masses as "pensioner" cars, so even if Honda brings out a TSX/Accord hybrid over here, it still will not trigger a demand for hybrids, just because of the perception of the brand.

So... as long as the BTFF (Big Three French Frogs) choose to promote diesel over hybrids, it'll still be quite some time before the public starts accepting hybrids.

Sydbom: You're in Europe as well. That Forbes list represents the US.

Besides... you're partially incorrect. Only the 5 (bar the M5) and 7 lose more than half their value. All the other models hold their value incredibly well.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:11 AM   #24
sameerrao
Regular User

Some other cars that hold value well

- McLaren F1 - sold new for ~$1MM on sale now for $1.2MM
- Ferrari 360 Spider - trading almost at list price three years down

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote