Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 PM   #16
Pwoarrr
Regular User

Thanks for the really informative post ZfrkS62!
I learned alot about z cars in this thread.....never knew there were so many datsuns leading up to the 240Z.
But I gotta say that 432 is gorgeous! Do you have higher res pics of it?

Btw, here are some links I found:

Japanese site that pays tribute to z cars....very well organized, worth a look!
http://www.zzzing.net

A site that talks about the contribution and history of the 240Z (especially its rally heritage)
http://www.z-point.nl/
Old 04-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #17
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Great sites Pwoarrr! Thanks alot Unfortunatley i don't have any higher res shots of the 432 I found it on the net somewhere awhile ago.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #18
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I figured for post #4000 i would do something big And since nothing new worth posting has popped up in BMW land, I would make a rather large Datsun update

In my search for Z car images, i stumbled upon this:

You Might Own A Z Car If...

1) you know the salespeople at the auto parts store / mail order Z shop by name.
2) you've ever heard the expression : "You oughta drop a small block in it!"
3) you have no idea what the car in front of the car you're behind is.
4) you've been asked: "What is that, an RX-7?"
5) you've had young girls ogle your car, and older women roll their eyes at it.
6) people can tell if you drove "your baby" by smelling you.
7) you drive a Nissan with parts from at least 3 different model cars installed on it.
8 ) you search and search the net for a plastic or die cast model of your car or any other Z.
9) you have a stock pile of extra parts sitting in your shop or garage.
10) you have tons of photos of every kind of Z on your hard drive.
11) you have looked up everything you could find on Wangan Midnight.
12) when playing Gran Tourismo 2 you strive to get the 240: also goes for Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero.
13) you have to tell the kid at the parts store to look under NISSAN for your parts.
14) you know where almost every Z car (and its condition) in every pick and pull is in your area.
15) you get raped every time you see your local dealer.
16) you wanna hurl every time you see a "STILLEN" logo.
17) people start talking about cars when you walk into your local barber shop/auto parts store/church...etc.
18 ) you know the specs on at least 5 other performance cars.
19) you imagine that you’re driving an exotic when motoring through the twisties.
20) you are always passing because you hate following traffic with your fiberglass front end.
21) at least every weekend at the "lot" where the local hot rods, and rice and imports hang out little girls.. like 13 or 14.. don’t know what it is.. it’s just yellow.
22) you know the whereabouts of all S30 Z's in a three county area and the story behind each one because one day you will own it when the current owner just throws in the towel and buys something else.
23) the guys at the local Nissan dealer find old Z car parts that won't be sold to the public in the back of the stockroom and they just give you the parts and ask questions like "When is that Z you towed out of the junkyard gonna be ready?"
24) you take delivery of a new base model 350Z (brickyard) and the same night you drive from Nationwide Nissan in Timonium, Md. to Lawrenceville, Ga. to buy a set of mesh wheels for your '86 300ZX hardtop; rationalizing the whole trip as a way to break in the new Z.
25) you get your ace ex-Nissan Master Tech. to perform a 4spd to 5spd swap and change a whole mess of coolant hoses, fan belt, and so on finishing at 10 P.M. on a Thursday night so that you can start the all-night pilgrimage to Daytona Beach to see the Rolex 24 in your newly acquired 1977 Datsun 280Z with 164k on the clock and the S.O.B. still gets 26 mpg with an '81 5 speed trans. w/ 149k on it.
26) since 1990 you've owned 35+ Z and ZX cars and the family wonders why you're still single at age 32.
27) you find a random bolt on your driveway and can tell exactly where on your Z its supposed to go.
28 ) you have three boxes of bolts, nuts, and washer in your garage...all from the Zs that you bought and or parted out to make your one good 240.
29) your girlfriend starts to spot Z cars for you on the highway just so she can say it first.
30) every time friends see or hear of a Z car for sale they call you because they "thought you might be interested."
31) your wife answers the phone and says, "He has enough already," it's usually one of these calls.
32) you can estimate the build date of a Z with an accuracy of plus or minus 6 months before it gets within 100 yards of you.
33) spotting the word "Turbo" on a low-mile Z at the wrecking yard elicits the same heart-pounding thrill as finding a couple of bags that have fallen out of the back of a Brinks truck.
34) you actually ENJOY the smell of gas fumes.
35) the Franklin Mint collectibles don't seem like quite so much of a rip since they came out with the 240 model.
36) someone says "Z car" you never, ever, think they mean a Z28 Camaro.
37) you can spot a Z in someone's backyard while your just driving by. Usually the car would be under some type of shed or barely visible at all.
38 ) you get physically ill when you see a salt truck.
39) you personally know the owner of every Z you see around town.
40) you finally got that killer brake upgrade.
41) when you drive down the road and see a Honda boy and think “I wish I was driving my car.”
42) your wife complains about all the money you spend on the car.
43) your wife comes out to the garage and most of the time she is talking to your feet on the side of the car.
44) you assure all the people you know that it is just a car that you like to have fun with to see just how fast you can make it.
45) everyone you know always asks about your car.
46) every time you call the auto parts store you have to tell them this is a custom application.
47) when you get emails from people who have been to your web page.
48 ) you live in a country (Belgium) with only 40 z cars and you are working hard to register them all.
49) people seem to stop 10 feet from the crosswalk when they pull up to next you at a light on Friday nights.
50) your twin brother owns a 240SX and people refer to you as the one "with the nice car."
51) you start wishing your car would get a job so you could have a little money left over for yourself.
52) people ask "is it turbo??" and you just sigh and change the subject while simultaneously making future plans for ridiculous performance upgrades in your head.
53) people ask if your z is a 96 when its a 90.
54) it takes twenty minutes to relax that smile from your face from the ride to your destination.
55) you're logged onto the forum at zcar.com when you're supposed to be working!
56) you look at the middle of the dash for vital engine information.
57) someone pops the hood open on their car for you to look at the engine, and you're expecting the hood to pop up from the rear.
58 ) people are impressed by your 160 mph speedo.
59) you've ever looked at a Viper, Jaguar XKE, BMW M3, hatchback, etc., and thought " Hmmm, that kinda looks like a Z."
60) you drive through the local speed trap 5-10 miles under the limit, 'cause you know they're looking for you, not the grey sedan whizzing past you.
61) you've ever been beside a semi's trailer on the highway, looked through to the other side and thought " I could make that!"
62) instead of being greeted with "How are you?" people say "How's the Z?"
63) you can turn a 5 minute gas station trip for a Coke into 30 minutes of driving.
64) you have each and every extra dollar already allocated to which Z part it's paying for.
65) you've driven more than 4 hours just to meet somebody else with a Z.
66) you’ve driven more than 4 hours out of your way just to catch somebody else in a Z.
67) stopped to look at cars on a lot and the dealership asks you to leave because people are trying to buy your car.
68 ) you've considered building a shrine to Mr. K. in your living room.
69) you can't stay mad at her.
70) driving without a stereo doesn't bother you.
71) your hood doesn't latch all the way down ("it's because of the monster under the hood")
72) there's a Vette at the light and everyone's eyeing your car, especially him.
73) you have a 4 speed and still get better gas mileage than your friend's F-body.
74) everyone's jaw drops when you tell them how much you paid for it.
75) there is NO such thing as a "destination." All you want to do is keep driving and driving.
76) you get pulled by a deputy, for doing 80 in a 55, who asks you "What IS this?"
77) you know the name of your local UPS driver, and he asks.."another part for the Z?"
78 ) your UPS driver curses you for shipping ANOTHER differential that he has to pick up!
79) your mechanic refers to you as his "residual income."
80) your vacations are always Z car related.
81) you spend more on your Z than you do on rent/mortgage.
82) you continually get into arguments over whether its a "Zee" or a "Zed."
83) while cruising you know for a fact that your Z or ZX looks sweeeeeeeeeeet.
84) you notice virtually every other vehicle on the road resembles a jelly-bean.
85) you always rationalize your next upgrade with the thought "Gee if I had a car payment then I would be out this much every month."
86) people you passed earlier are staring hatefully your way as you meet at the stoplight.
87) every rattle gives you pause and every noise a search and rescue mission.
88 ) people shake their head when they find out how much you spent but you just don't care.
89) you have browser bookmarks on Z car topics that outnumber all other bookmarks combined.
90) no matter how perfect your car is and no matter how much you have spent in time, money, aggravation, frustration, and alienation, you still have that next improvement project in mind for your car.
91) you wouldn't dream of selling your Z car unless there was another one you wanted more than your "baby."
92) no matter what car is beside you, you want to race it!!!
93) you tell the wife after not driving the Z for two weeks due to vacation - "Honey I'm just going to go out to the garage to make sure it starts," then don't come back for an hour.
94) someone tells you “I used to have a car like that once.”
95) your buddy calls it a 24 oz'er.
96) every time you get frustrated with the car and think about selling it, you go out to the garage and she's smiling at you.
97) you change your mind and add another $500.00 to your almost maxed out credit card.
98 ) you smile whenever you tell a couple of friends that you can't take them because your car only has two seats.
99) you've driven fast enough for red traffic lights to appear green.
100) your idea of a coffin (when your old and grey) is your pride and joy Z car.
101) you are getting very familiar with the way different performance cars look in your rearview.
102) you can figure out why your car is acting up within minutes, while in the driver seat, as you limp her home.
103) you get irritated when people get her name wrong.
104) you have removed creature comforts such as your heater, to outfit the center console for more gauges and switches.
105) you own more than 2 sets of wheels and tires for her.
106) all you have to tell people your giving directions to is "just look for all the Z's."
107) people in your neighborhood (that don’t know you) refer to you as the Z guy.
108 ) your wife hates riding in the Z so you arrive in separate cars.
109) you whine and bitch about having a car with only two doors, and then go and sell it to buy a car with only two seats.
110) you find you can no longer manage your money.
111) you have more invested in your Z than in your home.
112) you find something wrong with it everyday, but love fixing it and seeing those new parts shine.
113) you see another import, you think, "I can take it."
114) you have a little sticker on the bottom of your rear view mirror that says "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE LOSING."
115) your friends are jealous of your Z.
116) you get good remarks about your car at an auto store.
117) your parents or relatives just wish it was their Z.
118 ) you do a brake stand and your rear end stoops down telling you that you have lots of power in the car.
119) you'd rather clean your car than take your girlfriend to Checkers.

And now for the pics:
I located where they stuck the one picture of Jezebel (my ex-Z who now resides in Bellevue, WA and is apparently all fixed up now. Also the Z in my avatar ). I had the pic taken at the Desert Z Garage Day in Mesa, AZ back in August of 2003.

I credit her with alot of things. My career, my Z affliction, my thinning hair, and the reason why i don't have a bigger bank account
And now the rest of the pics
http://img233.echo.cx/my.php?image=airbrush7ty.png

http://img233.echo.cx/my.php?image=z2ph.png

DATSUN RALLY HISTORY

Datsuns began their rally history before WWII in Japan in as early as 1930. The first international rally appearance by Datsun was the 1958 Australia Mobil Gas Trial, basically an off road one lap of Australia that chewed up cars at an unbelievable rate. A Datsun 210, named the "Fuji-Go", won the rally. The team was initiated and led by a young up and coming Nissan exec from the marketing department, a certain Mr. Yutaka Katayama. Katayama, a car builder and racer in his own right, was one of many Nissan execs that believed racing and rallying was an excellent way to test and develop their cars and trucks. As a marketer, Katayama also knew that racing and rallying was a great way to sell cars as well.

Nissan made its first attempt at the East African Safari Rally in 1963 with a team of Cedrics and Bluebird 311's. No cars finished the race, but the Safari History is such a big story, that I've put it on a page of its own. Safari Page

In February 1967 a Bluebird 411 SSS ripped through Ontario, Canada, to win the Canadian Winter Rally... 101 cars entered the race, only 59 finished. 411's also took part in the Baja, along with at least one Datsun pick up.

Roadster entered in the 1968 Mont Carlo Rally

Nissan tried the Safari Rally with Cedrics again in 1967 and 68, again with little success. Finally they found a car that worked, the Bluebird 510sss which took class and team championships in 69, and won overall in 1970.

Frank Ball and Ron Thompsons SCORE rally 510, which also won the Baja.

The Z was entered in the 1970 RAC rally, but all 4 cars entered failed to finish due to differential problems. Edgar Herrmann drove one of the cars, another was driven by Tony Fall, and a third by Rauno Aaltonen.

In May 1971 a 240z driven by Tony Fall took first place in the Welsh Rally, came in 5th and tenth in the Monte Carlo rally and 19th in the RAC Rally.

The 240z, with Herrmann and Schuller, won the 1971 East African Safari Rally; Shenkhar Mehta brought his Z in second.

The Z managed to place 3 rd overall at the Monte Carlo rally in 1972, with Rauno Aaltonen at the wheel, but had little success elsewhere, finishing 5 th , 6th and tenth at the Safari rally. Aaltonen did finish second at the Southern Cross rally in Australia.

Back in America the 240z entered the US rally scene at the 72 and 73 Press on Regardless rallies, and with a 1973 BRE entry in the Baja.

Mehta in his 240z won the 73 Safari Rally over Harry Kallstrom and his Bluebird SSS on Penalty points, but only after Aaltonen rolled his Z. Herrmann did not finish.

Shekhar Mehta at the Scottish Rally

260z's were entered in the rally for 74, finishing in fourth and fifth. It would take several more years, and the Datsun Violet, before Nissan would see success at the Safari again.

Z cars would lead Nissan to 3 consecutive SCCA rally Championships from 1975 to 1977.

Just when it looked like Nissans star would fall in rallying, the Violet came along. Kallstrom and Andersson won the 1976 Greek Acropolis Rally, with Shenkhar Mehta and H.Liddon coming in third. This was only the beginning for the Violet.

The 1977 Acropolis Rally saw Kallstrom and Billstam place 3rd overall, with Siroco and Makrinos in 5 th . The charm was back on the Safari rally that year, with Rauno Aaltonen and Lofty Drews coming in 2nd overall in thier Datsun Violet.

510's still competed strongly in the SCCA's ProRally series, like Les Nelsons car pictured here. Check out Historic Pit Stop

1978 saw respective third place finishes in the Acropolis Rally and the Safari rally with Mehta and Mehta, and Altonen and Drews.

Greece was good again in 79 with Timo Salonen and Seppo Hajanne's Violet coming in second overall and Kallstrom and Billstam in 3 rd . Salonen and Stuart Pegg also came in 3 rd at the rally of Great Britain.

Then came the rise of Shenkar Mehta. Paired with co driver Mike Doughty, Mehta is the most successful Driver in Safari Rally history, winning 5 times outright, with 4 wins in a row from 1979 to 1982, all in the Violet 160J. No one has even come close to matching this win streak. Not only that, but Datsun Violets, led By Mehta and Doughty would sweep the Podium in 1981.

US Rally achievements

SCCA National Rally Manufacturers Championship 11 times -1971 to 1981

SCCA world Challenge Driver Championships
1993 Elliott Forbes-Robinson 300ZX Turbo

PRO Rally Manufacturers Championship 1975 1976, 1977(tied) 1978, 1979 and 1985

North American Rally Cup Championship 1977, 1978, 1979

SCORE off road Mini truck Manufacturer of the Year 1975-1978

Jim O'Connors Score Truck

SCORE off road Sedan Manufacturer of the Year 1979

Score off road World Championships(class 3 or 7)

1982 Roger Mears
1985 Sherman Balch
1986 Roger Mears
1986 Jim Conner
1987 Spencer Low
1989 Sherman Balch
1991 Roger Mears

HRDA truck series Championships

1984 Class 7s-Desert Spencer Low
1984 Class 7s-Stadium Mario Alesi
1984 Class 7s-Stadium Roger Mears
1985 Class 7s Spencer Low
1986 Class 7s Spencer Low
1988 Class 4 Jack Johnson
1989 Class 4 Jack Johnson
1989 Class 7 Roger Mears

International Rally Victories and notable finishes

1969 RAC Rally team prize Datsun p510

1969 Tap Rally of Portugal Jose Lampreia and Chris Melville 2 nd overall 510
"Chavna" and Loyens 3 rd overall
1969 E.A. Safari Rally Jamil Din /Maksood Minas 3 rd overall/first in class 510

1970 E.A. Safari Rally Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schuller 1st overall 510
Joginder Singh/ Bharat Bhardwaj 3 rd overall 510

1970 Australian Ampol Trial Herrmann and Schuller 1st overall 510

1970 Press On Regardless Rally Vanier Bros. 2nd overall 510

1971 E.A. Safari Rally Edgar Herrmann and Hans Schuller 1st overall 240Z
Shenkar Mehta/Mike Doughty 2 nd overall 240Z

1972- Monte Carlo Rally Rauno Aaltonen and Jean Todt 3 rd overall 240z

1973 Ivory Coast(Bandama) Rally Hermann and Schuller 1 st overall 610

1973 E.A. Safari Rally S. Mehta/Lofty Drews 1st overall 240Z
H Kallstrom/C. Billstam 2 nd overall 510

1973 Press On Regardless Rally J and C Smiskol 3rd 240z,J Rodgers/E Brooks 5th 510sss

1974 Rally of Portugal Harry Kallstrom/Claes Billstam 2nd in class 260z

Portugese Rally Z

1974 Rideau Lakes Rally E Jones/M Hathaway 5th overall 510

1975 Rally de Portugal Cortes/Gomes 5th overall 260z

1976 Acropolis Rally Kallstrom/Andersson 1st overall Datsun Violet
S. Mehta/ H.Liddon 3rd overall Datsun Violet

1977 Acropolis Rally Kallstrom/Billstam 3rd overall Datsun Violet
Siroco/Makrinos 5th overall Datsun Violet

1977 E.A. Safari Rally R. Altonen/ L. Drews 2nd overall Datsun Violet

1978 Acropolis Rally Mehta and Mehta 3rd overall Datsun Violet

1978 E.A. Safari Rally R. Altonen/ L. Drews 3rd overall Datsun Violet

1979 Acropolis Rally Timo Salonen/Seppo Hajanne 2 nd Violet
Kallstrom/Billstam 3rd overall Datsun Violet

1979 rally of Great Britain Salonen and Stuart Pegg 3 rd Violet

1979 E.A. Safari Rally Mehta/Doughty 1st overall Datsun Violet

1980 Acropolis Rally Timo Salonen/Seppo Hajanne 2 nd Violet

1980 E.A. Safari Rally Mehta/Doughty 1st overall Datsun Violet
R. Altonen/ L. Drews 2nd overall Datsun Violet

1981 New Zealand Rally Timo Salonen/Seppo Hajanne 1 st overall 160J Violet

1981 Corsican Tour de Course Rally Tony Pond/Ian Grindrod 3 rd Violet GT

1981 Rally of Argentina Shenkar Mehta/Yvonne Menta 2 nd overall Violet GT
Jorge Recalde/Jorge Del Buono 3 rd Violet 160J

1981 E.A. Safari Rally Mehta/Doughty 1st overall Datsun Violet
R. Altonen/ L. Drews 2nd overall Datsun Violet
Mike Kirkland/Dave Haworth 3 rd overall Datsun Violet

1982 E.A. Safari Rally Mehta/Doughty 1st overall Datsun Violet
Kirkland/Anton Levitan 3rd overall Datsun Violet

1983 New Zealand Rally Timo Salonen/Seppo Hajanne 1 st overall 240rs

1985 E.A. Safari Rally Kirkland/Anton Levitan 3rd overall Nissan 240rs

1988 E.A. Safari Rally Kirkland/ Robin Nixon 2nd overall Nissan 200sx
Per Eklund/Dave Whittrock 3rd Nissan 200sx

1989 E.A. Safari Rally Kirkland/ Robin Nixon 2nd overall Nissan 200sx

1992 Swedish rally Stig Blomquist/Benny Melander 3rd overall Sunny Gti-R

From: http://www.datsunhistory.com/rallyhistory1.html <= rally pics here

Old 04-24-2005, 07:24 PM   #19
SilviaEvo
Regular User

wow nice 4000th post! and yes i was looking for it!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:50 PM   #20
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^ i was wondering if i was enven going to find anything worth posting today Those were the best pics i could find that i thought were worthy of posting

I really need to find a replacement for Jezebel soon so i can finally take some pics worth posting

Old 04-25-2005, 12:39 AM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
lol, they always have been a bit squirrley on anything but dry pavement since they weigh next to nothing. In the rain, that's part of the fun. ice, though..that is a much different story
I don't think "300ZX" and "weigh next to nothing" should be in the same sentence.

It's a rather heavy lard bucket..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:00 AM   #22
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
lol, they always have been a bit squirrley on anything but dry pavement since they weigh next to nothing. In the rain, that's part of the fun. ice, though..that is a much different story
I don't think "300ZX" and "weigh next to nothing" should be in the same sentence.

It's a rather heavy lard bucket..
Compared to what was being produced at the time, yes they were light. the 83-89 300ZX was a fatass but the 90-96 was a respectable weight. All of them are squirrley as fuck though except for the TT with 4wheel steering, which is a little better.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:00 AM   #23
gottacatchup
Regular User

^^^the 1st gen 300ZX's were not however, and that is the car i and i believe Z were referring to
Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 AM   #24
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^^ If by first gen you mean 83-89 then IMO they are rather heavy.

I'm thinking it's time i added the ZX range to my list

Old 04-25-2005, 03:19 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

At 3500lbs the 300ZX was a lard arse..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:35 AM   #26
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^^I get 3,219lbs for the 1st gen (83-89) and N/A 2nd gen and 3,485lbs for the TwinTurbo HICAS equipped cars.

The 2nd Gen N/A 300ZX's that i've driven really havent felt all that heavy, thanks the their weight distribution, especially compared the 2300lb 240Z i was driving at the time.

I find it interesting you come into this thread just talk trash RC, but then again i must rememeber your Jackass Contract I'll take it as a compliment that you feel it's neccassary to try and put down the 300ZX. Although i would like to know if you have anything nice to say about it. But coming from you i won't be getting my hopes up

Old 08-19-2005, 02:11 AM   #27
ZfrkS62
Regular User

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/class...id/5050816.001

neat little article on, you guessed it, the Z

thanks goodduck

Old 09-17-2005, 06:23 PM   #28
ZfrkS62
Regular User

http://www.cruez.com/forum/index.php...;boardseen#new

RB26 engine awaiting a finished chassis 8)

The vid link in the topic is no longer any good unfortunately.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:58 AM   #29
sads
Regular User

Theres a couple of rb26 240z 260z drag cars that I've seen in action loved them. You hear the turbo's in action and the first thing you think is what the f!@#k its a z and by then there already 3 car lenghts in front
Old 10-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #30
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Thanks to corpse_grinder0 for this pic of his friend's Z. It apparently has 400rwhp from a 300ZXTT engine 8)