Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default 'Z' Datsun Garage (Shiro Edition info)

I know most of the inhabitants here at JW are fans of the supercar, and let's face it..Datsun's are on the other end of the scale. but regardless, they played a big role for alot of enthusiasts. If it wasn't for Datsun, there would not have been a 300ZXTT let alone a 350Z.

So, as a tribute to the Japanese marque, here is a quick history of Datsun and their sporty little vehicles.

The name Datsun actually evolved out of complexities of the Japanes language. In 1911, Sotaro Hasimoto began the Kwaishinsha Company to begin building cars badged as DAT, after his three financial backers.

In 1930 a small car called a Datson was born. However, in Japanese, 'son' means lose, so the name was changed to Datsun.
'32-'34 Datsun Roadster:

'35-'41 Road Star:

'52-'58 DC-3:

in 1937 the cars were being sold as Datsuns in one market (Europe/US) and Nissans in the Asian market. This continued up until the early 1980's when Nissan forever dropped the Datsun name with the end of the 280ZX run in 1983.

In the 1950's Nissan/Datsun built up their business quite quickly by manufacturing British Austins under license for the Japanese market. Then they went to producing Austin copies of their own wihle developing their own range of small cars. The first of which was the S211, a 1.2L 60BHP engine in 1959. it lasted to 1963.

From '61 to '69, Datsun released a series of small engined roadsters. In Japan these were known as the Fairlady SP310 and 311 and SR311. in the European and US these were known as the 1600 and 2000 respectively.

these cars did well in the US, which is where the majority of the 40,000+ examples were sold and was a prelude to the legend that was to follow in 1970.

In 1967 Britain's Austin Healey 3000 had been discontinued and it's replacement, the MG MGC was highly unpopular and was ceased in 1969.
Nissan/Datsun pounced in 1970 and released the 240Z in the US and the Fairlady Z and Z432 in Japan.

The 240Z had a 2.4L single overhead cam 150BHP, 149Ft-Lb torque, inline six coupled to a 4spd trans. which was offered with different gearing and differential ratios. The Fairlady had a 2L engine but only produced 130BHP.

The limited production Z432 was a 2L dual-overhead cam 160BHP engine. only 413 of these were produced. The 432 in this badge represented the 4 valves per cylinder, 3 carb, 2 cam engine.

Nissan entered the car in international rallies, and it paid off. The little Z won the East Africain Safari not once, but twice.

North American sales were doing well. In 1971 10,000 of these little beauties rolled off of showroom floors. In 1973, sales had shot up to 52,500.

In 1974 the 260Z rolled onto the scene with a 2.6L inline six but it wasn't any faster than it's predecessor. Sales did even better in North America with the 260 and 280. 310,497 were sold. 230,128 of those were the US only 280Z, sold from '76 to '78.

The 260Z came as a 2+2 which had a 12in longer wheelbase and a backseat. The 260Z's also came with an optional 3spd automatic transmission (which tops the car out at 95MPH instead of 120 that the 4spd trans allows. I haven't driven the 5spd so i don't know what that top speed is.)

1979 marked the entrance of the 280ZX, and the last car to be badged with the Datsun name.

Much heavier than previous Z cars, they were longer and wider but more efficient in terms of aerodynamics. They drew complaints from vetran Z drivers that they had lost their edge, but due to the fact that they came with power windows and cruise control, these drivers were in the minority.

They came with the T-top option, and as a 2+2. The 2+2 was only 7.9 inches longer and 200Lbs heavier. In 1981, only the North American market recieved the 280ZXT which put down 180BHP.
1983 markedthe end of the 280ZX and Datsun.

1984 started the 300ZX line which marked Nissan's switch from the long inline 6, to the compact V-6. The 300ZX lasted until 1996 in the US and was incarnated in two body styles.
The first echoed loudly the 280ZX and also came as a ZXT. That lasted until 1989 when the body changed to the more rounded version that ran from 1990-1996 that came as the highly sought after ZXTT.

But since the 300ZX isn't Datsun, i'll leave it alone for now

2nd Gen. 300ZX, amongst 3 240Zs (240Z's have 2 styling cues that seperate them from the 260/280Z's. The front turn signals are under the bumper on the 40, and up above the bumper in the grill on the 60/80. The reverse lights on the 240 are incorporated into the tail light assembly, and on the 60/80 they are between the tail lights and license[number] plate)

(more pics coming soon)

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

a few Datsun club links...if you no of one that i didnt put in here, feel free to add it.

Northwest Datsun Enthusiasts
www.nwde.org

Washington Z club
www.zccw.org

Internet Z club
www.zhome.com

Desert Z Association (Arizona)
www.desertzassociation.com

Melbourne, Australia
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~donhill/

Germany
http://www.z-zx-club.de/

Britain
www.zclub.net

Old 12-10-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
gottacatchup
Regular User

My dad used to have a 300ZX he loved that car and wouldn't sell even after me and my brother were born and we moved to Alaska. Driving the car first thing to get studded tires on the solid ice was one of the most frightening experiences of his life. Especialy considering he'd never left Texas prior to that.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:27 AM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

lol, they always have been a bit squirrley on anything but dry pavement since they weigh next to nothing. In the rain, that's part of the fun. ice, though..that is a much different story

Old 12-10-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
bmwmpower
Regular User

pretty old datsun- 240 ZX i have about 10 types of toys with this car
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
TransAm
Regular User

Nice post ZfrkS62!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #7
BADMIHAI
Regular User

This car is absolutely gorgeous:

Thanks!
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmwmpower
pretty old datsun- 240 ZX i have about 10 types of toys with this car
sorry mpower, i don't mean to nitpick but it kinda drives me nuts when people refer to the 240 as a ZX. (other 240 owners are the same way) the Zs didn't get the ZX badge until 1979. But, yes they have developed quite the following.

with some mods, you can humiliate the living crap out of any ricer and in alot of states, they are now exempt of emissions laws (those states with 30 year rolling exemptions)

my first victory in my 240Z came at the expense of a Civic Si (also my first race ) Little punk never got further than the back of my door 8)

BADMIHAI- The Fairlady 432 is quite the object of desire for many Z owners worldwide. I was considering for a ong time trying to locate the 432R DOHC engine and trans to swap into my 240Z, but that was before i sold it

Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

www.zparts.com Thanks to these guys for this article. (also check out the project cars. someone twin turboed a Q45 engine and stuck it in a 240 )

THE S.U. VARIABLE CHOKE CARBURETTOR
Text & Illustrations by Malcolm Land Featured
Technical
Article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction
The S.U. carburettor is one of the simplest carburettors ever invented! Unfortunately, following discussions with many people, the operational principles of this carburettor appear to be poorly understood. SU carburetors have a minimal number of moving parts and are easy to tune, providing of course you understand the operational principles! It is the intention of this article to help clarify those principles in the hopes that many owners will be able to tune and maintain their SU carburtetors aided by better knowledge and less blind experimentation.

The correct technical name for the S.U. carburettor is VARIABLE CHOKE or CONSTANT DEPRESSION (see note)carburettor. This document will refer to the S.U. as a variable choke carburettor.
The variable choke carburettor inherited its name because a sliding piston, acting under the effect of engine manifold vacuum, automatically adjusts the size of the throat orifice (choke) causing the air velocity and the vacuum over the fuel jet to remain constant.
The letters "S.U". are actually stand for a brand name and represents the words "Skinners Union" named after three brothers who, back in the early 1900's, invented, patented and began the manufacture of this type of carburettor.

There have been a number of S.U. variable choke carburettors manufactured over the decades. However, the basic components that make up the carburettor and the principles of operation are the same.

The variable choke carburettor consists of the following major components:

§ The fuel bowl housing the fuel float and fuel flow regulating needle. In later S.U. models (HIF series) this is integral with the carbie body.
§ The carburettor body which houses the main jet, the butterfly and the cold start enrichment device (choke).
§ The piston (air valve) which includes the fuel metering needle and dash pot.
§ The piston (suction or bell) chamber containing the piston, piston spring and damper.

The Hitachi HJG46W carburettor installed in the pre-pollution Zeds is based on the S.U. model HS6. The later model 260's (the GS and GSR-30) utilised the Hitachi HBM46W variable choke carburettor highly modified to accommodate the stringent anti-pollution laws introduced in the 1970's. Unfortunately, this later model carburettor was not as reliable as the earlier model. I found this out after purchasing my GSR 30.
The later model carburettor is difficult to tune. Instead of adjusting the air fuel mixture by adjusting the jet height, similar to the HS6 S.U., the jet height is fixed. Additional air bleeds into the side of the carbie (just behind the piston) via an adjusting screw causing the air fuel mixture to run lean or extra lean. Unfortunately, the GS series Zeds, released in Australia do not have hardened inlet valve seats that don't like lean mixtures terribly well and tend to pit. This also is the reason that the later model Zed's should not be fed with unleaded petrol (ULP).

The component parts, which together, form the variable choke carburettor are detailed in Figure 1 and are defined below:

1. Air valve suction (bell) chamber
2. Air valve (piston)
3. Air valve (piston) spring
4. Air chamber to manifold vacuum connection (air less than atmospheric pressure)
5. Suction chamber air inlet (air at atmospheric pressure)
6. Dashpot
7. Dashpot piston damper assembly
8. Fuel needle
9. Jet
10. Jet retaining nut
11. Fuel bowl
12. Carburettor body
13. Throttle butterfly
14. Throttle lever (not shown)
15. Fuel float & fuel supply regulating needle (not shown)
16. Idle speed adjusting screw (not shown)
17. Choke cable (not shown)
18. Choke lever lowers jet to enrich mixture (not shown)
19. Choke cam - slightly opens throttle butterfly so not to starve engine of air when choke is used (not shown)
20. Choke return spring - ensures jet remains in the normal running position – choke is inactivate when engine is warm (not shown).

Most automotive combustion engines are effectively a reciprocating pump. The volume of air they draw over a given duration in time is proportional to their speed.

Example: Assume we have a four-stroke engine with a volume of 1 litre (61 cubic inches). If the idle speed is 1000 rpm, the volume of air flowing through the engine will be 500 litres (17.66 cubic feet) per minute.
At 5000 rpm, the volume of air will be 5 times that at 1000 rpm or 2500 litres (88.29 cubic feet) per minute.

Assume the engine to which the carburettor is supplying fuel is running at idle speed. The jet, fuel needle and piston spring are sorted to match the performance requirements of the engine. The dashpot assembly is filled with oil of appropriate viscosity. I’ll explain the meaning of “appropriate” later in the text.

The butterfly (throttle) is partially open under idle conditions (no air, no fuel – no combustion).
There will be restricted airflow into the engine and a large pressure drop across the butterfly when compared with that of the surrounding atmospheric pressure. (The lower pressure in the inlet manifold is a vacuum when compared with atmospheric pressure).

The vacuum on the engine side of the carbie throat connects to the top of the piston chamber via an orifice located in the underside of the piston.
The underside of the piston connects to atmospheric pressure via an orifice located near the throat on the air inlet side of the carburettor.

When the throttle is partially open the vacuum within the inlet manifold is allowed to communicate to a greater degree with the air/fuel mixture between the piston and butterfly. This in turn will draw air out of the bell chamber above the piston, causing a partial vacuum within this chamber. There is now a pressure differential across the piston (Low pressure above the piston, high pressure beneath it). This pressure differential will cause the piston to rise, pulling the tapered needle out of the jet, allowing more air and fuel to flow through the carburettor throat and into the engine causing the engine speed to increase.

When the engine speed is constant the air velocity (vacuum) past the jet is directly proportional to the volume of air passing between the bridge and piston, ie. piston height regulates the air speed over the jet, and piston height is proportional to engine vacuum.
Figures 2a and 2b indicate the piston and butterfly positions at low and high engine revs. In both instances the engine under load and is running at a constant speed. The air velocity over the jet in both instances is the same.

sorry guys. i'm going to have to find another way to get the rest of the figures to you. the pics aren't up anymore so i'll have to find a scanner and get them from the printout i have

PISTON SPRING
The spring within the suction chamber loads the piston in a downward (closed) position. The tension of the spring is selected such that the piston reaches its fully open position when the engine reaches its maximum air demand, that is maximum brake horse power output, not maximum RPM, at any given engine speed up to maximum BHP:

§ If the spring is too weak, the piston will be elevated to a level higher than its optimum position causing the engine to run too lean.
§ If the spring is too strong, the piston will not rise to its optimum position causing the engine to run too rich.

Why is this so? Surely, if the piston is higher than it should be, the engine will run richer, and if the piston is lower than it should be, the engine will run leaner?

Wrong! Remember the volume of air the engine draws is proportional to its speed.
So… If the piston rises too high the throat area will be larger than optimum, the vacuum between the piston and the bridge will be low. That is the air velocity across the jet will be low, drawing less fuel, thus causing the mixture to run lean.
The opposite occurs if the piston does not reach optimum height the throat area will be smaller than optimum… The air velocity will be high between the piston and bridge causing a larger volume of fuel to be drawn through the jet assembly causing the mixture to run rich

There are a number of springs available for the SU type carburettor each with a different compression loading. These are:

Blue 2.5 ounce
Red 4.5 ounce
Yellow 8 ounce
Green 12 ounce

I am unsure if Hitachi, via Nissan, released their variable choke carburettor with a range of different compression rate springs. I believe however, that the HS6 SU springs will fit the Hitachi carbie if a substitution is required.

I have not measured the spring compression rates of the Hitachi carburettor therefore I am unable to compare the ratings between the recommended spring used in the SU carbie and the Hitachi spring. Red springs are recommended where 13/4” SU carburettors are bolted onto the inlet manifold of an unmodified L24 or L26 engine.

DASH POT/DAMPER ASSEMBLY
The dashpot and damper assembly are also located within the suction chamber. The damper assembly, which is actually a one way valve, is contained within the dashpot filled with oil. The valve and oil work such that they impede the lifting of the piston, but allow it to fall rapidly once the speed of the engine decreases.

The dashpot serves two purposes. Firstly, it acts as a damper to prevent the piston following air fluctuations at low engine speed thus keeping the piston steady. Secondly, when the throttle opens it prevents the piston rising in unison with the opening of the throttle. If the oil in the dash pot assembly is too thin the piston will rise too quickly causing the air/fuel mixture to lean out.

Air and petrol, in a hydraulic sense, are both fluids and air is less dense than petrol. Therefore, air has less inertia than petrol. So when the throttle is opened more, air will be sucked into the carbie but the petrol will take a little longer before its flow rate catches up with the new air flow rate.

By damping (retarding) the piston movement with oil an accelerator pump action occurs, ie. as the throttle is opened, the movement of the piston is retarded a sufficient amount to cause a momentary enrichment of the mixture, enabling a sharp pick-up in engine speed.

What type of oil should be used?

Too often people use light duty (sewing machine or general purpose) oil in the dash pot assembly. This type of oil does little if anything to impede the upward movement of the piston as the throttle opens.
Engine oil can be too viscous (depending on climate). After 2 hours of driving it ends up in the bottom of the piston, the majority of it sucked into the engine. This happens because it is too thick to pass through the damper as the piston falls causing the oil to flow out of the top of the dashpot.
I use a mix of 20W-30 to 20W-50 and sewing machine oil. The ratio is three parts engine oil to one part sewing machine oil.
When you use the aforementioned oil mix if you attempt to raise the piston when the engine is cold you will find that a lot of force is required to move the piston to its uppermost position. When you release the piston, it will drop to the bridge quickly (less than half a second).

THE FUEL METERING NEEDLE & JETS
There are literally hundreds of needles available for the SU carburettor, the majority with profiles manufactured to suit particular vehicle engine systems. There are two types of needles available for the SU carburettor, biased and unbiased.

The biased needle has a collar and spring attached to the top of the needle. To eliminate droplets of fuel forming on the needle it is located within a bush located in the underside of the piston. The needle is a loose fit within the bush and is loaded by the spring in a downward direction causing the needle to lightly contact the side of the jet. All anti-pollution SU carburettors are supplied with biased needles.

OTHER FACTORS AFFECTING THE TUNING OF THE ENGINE/CARBURETTOR

SIZE OF CARBURETTOR
An alteration in the size of the carburettor should only be necessary if the breathing capacity of the engine has been altered substantially. This situation may be necessary if larger inlet valves are utilised simultaneously with alterations to the head, ports and cam, and/or an increase in engine capacity.

EXAMPLE

I installed a camshaft that gave additional lift to the valves and increased the inlet and exhaust valve duration.
I found that the red springs were inadequate, that is the engine speed would never reach redline, and the bottom end power was inadequate. At around 5500 rpm, it would miss-fire excessively.

I then uprated to yellow piston springs and found that the engine would rev to around 6500 rpm and then start miss firing. The bottom end power increased somewhat.

By finally changing to green springs the engine revs out well past red-line, about 95kmh (or about 60mph) in first gear (I have a 3.36 diff and a 2.9 first gear), and has plenty of bottom end torque. I did not need to change the fuel needles.

I don't have access to a chassis dynamometer so, the spring changes were done by trial & error. Had I made other internal changes to the heads, ie. larger valves or lumpier cam, I may have needed to replace my existing carburettors with twin 2” or triple 13/4” carbs.

AIR FLOW INTO THE CARBURETTOR
The medium, through which the air passes and enters the carburettor throat, can greatly affect the air fuel mixture entering the engine.
Air filters tend to reduce the airflow and lean out the air/fuel mixture entering the engine. The density of the filter element reduces airflow.

There are two types of filter element available on the market at present. These are the paper element type and the oil impregnated foam element type. Each of these have advantages and disadvantages.
Paper element filters tend to give less air flow restriction for a given element surface area but can allow more micro-fine dust particles into the carburettor which can build up inside over extended periods of time.

Oil impregnated filters tend to give greater air flow restriction for a given element surface area but are better at filtering out the smaller dust particles, provided of course they are maintained properly. Therefore, by fitting an oil-impregnated filter to the inlet side of the carburettor it may be necessary to enrich the mixture to accommodate the change of filter type.
Ram Pipes
Ram pipes, also known as ram tubes or velocity stacks, are horn shaped devices that can be fitted to the inlet side of the carburettor to improve the performance of the engine.

Comparing two identical carburettors, one fitted with a ram pipe and one without, attached to two identical engines. If both engines are idling and the carburettor butterflies are both in the same position, the engine with the carbie/ram pipe combination fitted will more than likely be running at a slightly higher rpm. This is due to the induction of additional air into throat of the carburettor and hence air/fuel into the engine.

More air flows into the engine due to the following factors:

§ the difference in the cross-sectional areas at the inlet and engine side of the ram pipe;
§ the cross-sectional shape (taken along the centre axis of the ram pipe);
§ inertia of the air entering the ram pipe (hot day = air less dense = less air into engine, cold day = air more dense = more air into engine).

the rest of this article is based on figure 5, but since i can't get it right now, it's not going to do any good. again, i will update this as soon as i can

Old 04-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #10
SilviaEvo
Regular User

thanks i will give the NW Datsun club to my friend who owns a 510
Old 04-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #11
coombsie66
Regular User

Good article, SU's suck though (quite literally) get a triple set of webber 40's on that Z!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:28 PM   #12
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Here's a fledgling Z forum i just found (i'm the 70th member to join)
http://www.cruez.com/forum/index.php

Good article, SU's suck though (quite literally) get a triple set of webber 40's on that Z!
HAHAHA!! yeah, they are little pain in the ass to get running correctly, but once they are, they're great. Easiest way i've found to do it is to use a combination of a UNISYN air meter and O-scope. Get the air flow matched and then adjust the mixture according to the firing voltages of the cylinders. As long as there are no vacuum leaks, it works fine

Old 04-20-2005, 10:35 PM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

here's another link for a performance store out of Phoenix, AZ:
http://conceptzperformance.com/

Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
oscargarza88
Regular User

ok ZfrkS62 finnaly!
sorry i was confused haha

some very usefull links! highly recomended:
www.z32club.com (very usefull!! freindly)
www.stillen.com (very good parts)

ohh and a friend in mexico has a 510 too , he is mechanic and the car is just :shock: !!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/422066
he uses it too!
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:58 PM   #15
ZfrkS62
Regular User

thanks oscar