Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 10-25-2004, 01:55 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default ((Chrysler 300 + Wet New Eng roads) - ESC) = SlipSliding Fun

Well - it's only the 250hp V6 - but that's more than enough power to have the Super-Slip No-Grip stock tyres spinning for 100 yards in the wet when ESC is turned off...

The car is so-so... roomy, decent view all round - except for looking over your left shoulder when the head rest gets in the way, nice leather appointents and a semi-tasteful elegent interior.

Not bad for $28,000 or so - but on the road it feels like my 2001 Lincoln Town Car with 50 extra hp... which is good and bad.

Good because it has 50 extra hp and pulls better than the Town Car did... but bad because it is about as numb and wallowy and loose in the steering and handling.

I now know why the Town Car only had 200hp... that wallowy land yacht setup with 50 more hp is not a good recipe.

The ABS handled some hair brained stops and turns and traffic circles in the wet - and the ESC system saved me twice while making U-Turns on wet roads...

I sure as hell hope the 340hp Hemi version has better road handling manners... :shock:
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:12 AM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

LOL

I am renting a Grand Prix GT for the last week - am out in California on work. This car is pretty sad - no traction in the wet unless the wheels are pointed straight . I took it to the twisties in the Marin headlands and the car was begging for mercy ... pretty disappointing.

The Grand Prix GTP that I drove last week at the Houston in the GM driver experience seemed better.

This car has hopeless rear 3 qtr visibility - with a thick C pillar and pinched rear window. Also I found it difficult to judge its extremities.

BTW, I drove the C6 Vette in manual and auto form last week - it was nice ... not as tight as the Z06 but pretty good otherwise. The crazy thing is the button it has for releasing the door - it is pretty illogically placed and hard to find - what is wrong with a simple door handle? The seat controls are also burried deep in. Looks-wise I like it as much as the C5 though it looks like a cut-price Modena unlike the C5 which looked like itself.

I also drove the Hummer H2 on the offroad course (nice on the 30 degree slopes) and the BMW 530i - it was pretty nice on the handling course but not as good as the 325i which was the best car experience there....

Drove a lot of SUVs just for the heck of it

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
PeleProdigyGTO
Regular User

How'd you get in that Vette'? Just a test drive or what?
PeleProdigyGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by PeleProdigyGTO
How'd you get in that Vette'? Just a test drive or what?
He attended the GM "In Motion" car show... and event where they hand attendees the keys to various competitors cars and the GM equivalent for you to do back-to-back comparisons.

A worth while event to attend if it ever crops up in a city near you..

If I had not been on the road so much this year would have liked to have had a go at getting kicked out of the event for reckless driving - as I was last year.. ...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

[quote="RC45"]
Originally Posted by PeleProdigyGTO
If I had not been on the road so much this year would have liked to have had a go at getting kicked out of the event for reckless driving - as I was last year.. ...
Well your doppelganger showed up - there was one guy who got kicked out for the same thing - he was caning a GTO and didnt get to drive the Vette

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
detsan
Regular User

Come on RC45, tell us the story!
Please!