Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default GTA 4 and Dumbass Kids

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06272008..._li_117455.htm

TEENS BUSTED IN 'GRAND THEFT AUTO' SPREE

By KIERAN CROWLEY

ROLE MODEL: A group of teens, including (from left) Stephen Attard, Samuel Philip, Dylan Laird and Jaspreet Singh, randomly attacked innocent bystanders in an effort to emulate the ultra-violent hero of "Grand Theft Auto IV," cops say.

Last updated: 6:37 am
June 27, 2008
A gang of teens in love with the blood-drenched digital killfest "Grand Theft Auto IV" - in which players slaughter hundreds during endless crime sprees - copied the video game's violent hero with a two-hour campaign of real-life robbery and brutality on Long Island, cops said yesterday.
The wild rampage featured such staples of the mega-popular game as a mugging, several break-ins and attempted carjackings at an intersection in tony Garden City, police said. They even allegedly knocked one man's teeth out.
"They decided they were going to go out to commit robberies and emulate the [lead] character Nico Belic in the particularly violent video game 'Grand Theft Auto,' " said Nassau County Police Detective Lt. Raymond Cote. "These teens have difficulty separating fact from fiction, fantasy from reality . . . It was quite alarming."
The series of attacks started at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, allegedly carried out by a gang of four teens led by 15-year-old Brandon Cruz. The youths had been sitting in Memorial Park in New Hyde Park, looking for something to do, when they allegedly decided to live out the game.
In "Grand Theft Auto IV," players assume the role of Belic, a criminal who murders and robs to rise to the top of the underworld in "Liberty City," which closely resembles New York City.
"They were bored, and they decided this was a good idea," Cote said.
Cruz and his pals - Samuel Philip, 16, Gurnoor Singh, 14 and Jaspreet Singh, 17, no relation - allegedly found their first victim waiting at bus stop near the park. The teens, all of New Hyde Park, beat him and stole his cash, police said.
"They knocked his teeth out," Cote said.
They then broke into garages and sheds and stole bats and crowbars, police said.
They soon met up with other kids. Two of them joined the original four, police said, and they decided to take their crime spree to another level by acting out "Grand Theft Auto's" signature crime - carjacking.
The teens went to nearby Garden City and allegedly set up a human roadblock.
There they menaced a 23-year-old woman in a 2008 BMW with bats, cops said. She sped away and called cops.
When police arrived, the youths were trying to rob a man in a van, cops said.
All four of the teens were arrested, along with the two youths who joined them, Stephen Attard, 18, of New Hyde Park and Dylan Laird, 17, who was visiting from Southborough, Mass. They were all charged with first-degree robbery, except for Jaspreet Singh, who was charged with possession of stolen property.
Philip, Cruz and Gurnoor Singh were held on $300,000 bond. The others were slapped with lesser bails. None of the teens was able to post bail after their arraignment yesterday.
After the hearing, Gurnoor Singh's dad admitted his son played the game but said he was innocent. "We don't believe anything," he said.
[email protected]

Hopeless

Last edited by 5vz-fe; 06-27-2008 at 12:04 PM.
5vz-fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Gurnoor Singh's dad admitted his son played the game but said he was innocent.
Sigh. You don't let your 14 year old boy play any game that lets you have sex with hookers then kill them afterwards.

There's some really negligent parents out there.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

LOL - this is hilarious.

They are only blaming GTA4 because their lawyers advised them to. Random violence and teenagers acting as worthless thugs has bene around for decades.

Its pretty telling that the "gang" is pretty cosmopolitan... by last name it looks like a Messikan, 2 Pakis and a Honky.... what happened?? They couldn't find their other "brutha" Snoop before they left on their "video game" rampage?

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Sigh. You don't let your 14 year old boy play any game that lets you have sex with hookers then kill them afterwards.
Why not? Main stream global entertainment is full of such stories - with no age restrictions... just see TV at 7pm every night.

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
There's some really negligent parents out there.
There ar efar more unbalanced teens as a result of porr education models that refuse to present or teach mortality in schools and int he same breath restrict parents access and "control" over their kids.

When last did a 10 or 12 year old boy who was being an arsehol get a good thrashing from their mother/father with a belt on their backside to pull them in line?

Spare the rod and spoil the child... no - spoil the nation
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
enzoferrari
Regular User

So stupid!!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by enzoferrari View Post
So stupid!!

Stupid is an understatement. Drink and drive is stupid, trying out Jackass stunt is stupid, but running around car jacking and beating ppl up is illogical. Messed up brains.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
CarlZ
Regular User

^retarded is the word you're looking for
Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Lightbane
Regular User

I like how when anything like this happens, no matter what is being blamed, be it movies, video games, or music, somebody always claims that kids/teenagers have trouble seperating reality from fiction. Does anyone here recall at any point in their life not knowing the diffrence between what they saw on the T.V. and what they were doing in RL? Even as a wee little tyke of 5 years old or so I knew that those Thundercats were cartoons and that if I went around swinging a sword I'd be in trouble. And how about good ol G.I. Joe? Just before a Cobras jet gets hit with a big honkin missle the pilot bails out. I was in the first grade and I would STILL yell out a big old "THATS SO FAKE!!"

The point is, kids know perfectly well what they are doing. Parents and other adults have repeated phrases like "Oh they're just kids. They don't know any better." so many times that now kids know they can use it as an excuse when they do something they knew was wrong in the first place! "Gee judge, it's not my fault. I'm just a kid who played to many Video Games. Do you mean to say that I'm not suppose to attack people with a crowbar? Is that a new law?"
Lightbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Kaz
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Spare the rod and spoil the child... no - spoil the nation
might want to look into research contradicting that statement

http://nospank.net/
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

I'm surprised these kids were named. That's not allowed in Australia as it ruins their lives in they're innocent and prevents appropriate rehabilitation if they're guilty.

Nevertheless, this sort of stuff has been going on forever, well before video games were invented. Can't blame video games. You can only blame the parents, who the kids seek guidance from.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
might want to look into research contradicting that statement

http://nospank.net/
I dont need "research" - I just have to read the lead story.

Fact:

Spare the Rod Spoil the Child.

Ban Guns Violent Crime Increases.

Its simple really - remove the consequence and the actions will continue.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
I'm surprised these kids were named. That's not allowed in Australia as it ruins their lives in they're innocent and prevents appropriate rehabilitation if they're guilty.

Nevertheless, this sort of stuff has been going on forever, well before video games were invented. Can't blame video games. You can only blame the parents, who the kids seek guidance from.
They are fucking criminals - damn straight they should be named.

And when did Australia become a nation of pussy faced do-gooders, cowards and whiners?

Wow - and here I used to think that Australia was a nation of real men and real women
Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Mattk
Regular User

^We are. Kids are very often sent to adult prisons for long stretches. They get few favours. In fact, the trend has been to reduce the operation of doli incapax. However, some things stay the same and they just aren't named.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
^We are. Kids are very often sent to adult prisons for long stretches. They get few favours. In fact, the trend has been to reduce the operation of doli incapax. However, some things stay the same and they just aren't named.
Whew... all is well with the world again
Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
Lightbane
Regular User

I sort of lean towards people not being named in the press until after they're found guilty. Yes these dumb asses are guilty but generally speaking if you were innocent and accused of a crime you wouldn't want your name dragged through the mud. I've always found it rather stupid that in rape cases the womans name is withheld, as it should be, but the guy accused is put out their for all the world to see. Never mind he might be innocent. And even if he is found innocent in court later what are the odds he's gonna get himself a date after that?
Lightbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
Mattk
Regular User

^The rape thing is interesting, but ultimately, not guilty is not guilty and their lives do recover. I once read a feature article profiling those who were falsely accused and one of them, a swimming instructor, said his business was booming because he's famous now.