Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default Internet Issues Heating Up

Net Neutrality:

http://www.google.com/help/netneutrality.html
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060613-7043.html
Old 06-14-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i really doubt this is as big an issue as people are making it out to be.

The internet is too expansive to be subject to highest bidder gets best bandwidth situation and any Supreme Court judge worth his ass will rule any kind of corporate bias as illegal under anti trust regulations.

That and which ever senator or representative votes to allow this, will be revealed as the whore they really are, being obviously bought off.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Umm.. It is a big issue.. and now Google is trying to get you involved.. that should say enough.

The current US Administration is doing a lot to take away the freedoms of the internet.

In the next few days, the House of Representatives is going to vote on a bill that would fundamentally alter the Internet. That bill, and one that may come up for a key vote in the Senate in the next few weeks, would give the big phone and cable companies the power to pick and choose what you will be able to see and do on the Internet.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

see, i think this is a load because when anything like this comes up, the Bill number is always listed. This one isn't.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
see, i think this is a load because when anything like this comes up, the Bill number is always listed. This one isn't.
This was on the bottom page
Latest News

Update 6/8/06: For those who are interested in the legislative nuts-and-bolts, we support amending the House bill through the Markey-Boucher-Eshoo-Inslee Amendment to preserve network neutrality, which would add meaningful net neutrality provisions to H.R. 5252 [PDF], the Communications Opportunity, Promotion, and Enhancement (COPE) Act. We believe anything less than this amendment would be a loss for freedom and innovation on the Internet.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

ah. Missed that obviously.

In any case, I think this is getting blown out of proportion. as i said earlier, the net is too expansive to pull that kind of bullshit.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
FoxFour
Regular User

Our politicians have more important things to do than to get these things through. It took a huge outcry from the American citizens to get them, both the guys in the Capitol and the White House, to finally do something about the illegal alien invasion. They're too busy dealing with stupid stuff like this. Big money special-interest groups doing their thing, obviously.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Perhaps it will be best if they screw it up totally.

I mean these companies think thaty 467 brazillion dollars will fall tou of the sky if they suddenly charge people "transfer" access style fees...

But all that will happen is people will back away from the internet as an entertainment and information source.

Period.

Commercial use is one thing, but personal use is quite something else.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

It's not just that.. if this Bill get's passed say good bye to your Internet freedom..
Old 07-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
It's not just that.. if this Bill get's passed say good bye to your Internet freedom..
...and say hello to guerilla servers. The US can lockdown stuff on their shores, but not everywhere else.

You'll be seeing a lot more dot somethings very quickly if that's the case. Too many countries that don't accept US jurisdiction in existence. This is major moolah for them.
Sir_GT is offline   Reply With Quote