Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 04-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
sameerrao
Regular User

Superb!! It may not be the best lens (acc to the more knowledgeable ones amongst us) but for a layman like me it is superb and does the job!

Where did you buy it from?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Some nice shots you got so far.. What mode were you shooting in?

The first two pics of the purple flowers look over exposed but the last one looks great.

mmm.. bmer

Lookin forward to seeing your Yosemite pics!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #18
c0wb0y007
Regular User

Default Re: My New Rig =) - First Pics

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
ae86_16v,

Congrats with your new camera

You have made a wise decision buying a DSLR

The best of luck with it

Cheers
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

http://www.emotionworkshop.org
http://www.stunningnikon.com/
http://www.nikon.co.uk
http://www.sportsshooter.com
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/
c0wb0y007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:55 AM   #19
ae86_16v
Regular User

sameerrao - Picked it up from Beachcamera.com. I definitely like the results I am getting so far from the lens.

Dutch - Most of the shots were taken in Macro mode . Fully auto right now. Still learning the camera.

Cowboy - Thanks for your help earlier. Your and everyone elses opinion on this forum definitely help lean me towards the DSLR :good: .

Thanks for everyone's help again

Dutch, I'll try to get them up this weekend, will post in the Vacation forum .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
sameerrao
Regular User

BTW, the 18-55 lens is considered to be a good purchase... this is what I read here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#digital

"Mid Range Zooms for Digital back to top

The new 18 - 200 VR lens is all 90% of everything anyone would want for everything. It's a breakthrough. There's never been anything like it in my over 30 years of photography. Now that I have one it never seems to come off my D200! It's expensive, about $700. If you're considering it I'd advise just getting it. It's unlike any other all-in-one lens I've ever used. You'll love it! It's rare that I need anything longer.

On a more reasonable budget I'd suggest the 18 - 55, which you can get with a camera as a kit. It's inexpensive, about $140, and works as well or better than the more expensive 18 - 70 ($330) and 17 - 55 ($1,500) lenses. There's no reason you can't make thousands of fantastic images with just the 18 - 55. Of course each of those lenses is progressively heavier, more sensitive in low light and more durable, too. If you take care of your gear and make casual use of it I'd go for the cheapest 18 - 55. If you beat on your gear, or are a full time pro, by all means pay ten times as much for the 17 - 55, just don't expect to see a visible difference in the images.

BTW, I also just bought a D50 with a wide zoom lens (12-24mm). I am waiting for the 18-200 to re-emerge on the market.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 04-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #21
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

1 important thing about camera's: never believe Ken Rockwell!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #22
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo
Oh yeah? Why? Is he really bias?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #23
gigdy
Regular User

id say if u dont have a lense, and are not going to use it for action shots the 17-200 is fine. But id much rather have my 17-70 and 80-200 f/2.8 then that lense
Old 04-07-2006, 05:19 AM   #24
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Originally Posted by MartijnGizmo
Oh yeah? Why? Is he really bias?
Yup, a lot of people consider him to be a clown.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:40 PM   #25
ae86_16v
Regular User

Still learning a lot about this camera, but I think I am falling in love with the pictures that I produces:

Old 04-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #26
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Beautiful landscape photography.. Glad to see you're taking the D50 to so many nice areas.

You should try shooting in RAW or play with the saturation to make the colors really stand out.

I am still learning about the D50, there's just so much to think about when using a DSLR
Old 04-25-2006, 03:22 AM   #27
ae86_16v
Regular User

Couple more, criticism needed . . .

Old 04-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #28
sameerrao
Regular User

Looks nice! Though maybe a polarizer would help as the cranes look too white in the picture because of the direct sun on it.

Is this taken near the Jack London Square by any chance?

The Golden Gate picture is perfect. Very nice composition. The Bay bridge shot on the lower left has great panoramic effect. Maybe if you took the picture later in the day when the sun is behind, it might be better - you can see the sun reflecting off the water quite a bit. Try taking these pics at twilight with a tripod, I bet it will come out amazing

Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #29
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Beautiful landscape photography.. Glad to see you're taking the D50 to so many nice areas.

You should try shooting in RAW or play with the saturation to make the colors really stand out.
Thanks, well right now it is in default color mode which is IIIa. Since I picked up a 2GB Card, I shoot in both RAW + Basic JPG at once. I still have yet to go through 200 Raw files from Yosemite . JPG makes the job a bit easier.

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Looks nice! Though maybe a polarizer would help as the cranes look too white in the picture because of the direct sun on it.

Is this taken near the Jack London Square by any chance?

The Golden Gate picture is perfect. Very nice composition. The Bay bridge shot on the lower left has great panoramic effect. Maybe if you took the picture later in the day when the sun is behind, it might be better - you can see the sun reflecting off the water quite a bit. Try taking these pics at twilight with a tripod, I bet it will come out amazing
Actually this was taken west of Jack London, it's a brand new park just opened by the city. Polarizer huh? I will have to look into that.

As far as the sun is concerned it was taken late afternoon, to get the sun on the other side of the sky, I would have to wake up kind of early in the morning. And that isn't happening .

Thanks for the help so far!

And some here too:

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...25888&start=40
Old 06-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #30
ae86_16v
Regular User

Went up to Napa the other day and took some of these. . . what do you guys think?