Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Default Professional Photography Portfolio with Behind the Scenes

http://www.davehillphoto.com/

Some real amazing photography. Almost as if these were carefully painted instead of shot with a camera.

Check the behind the scenes section to see how he setup the lighting.

Thanks to strobist for posting it on the blog and martijn for posting the link to his blog here
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

But in this day and age, how sure can you be how much is the "lightining" and how much as PhotoChopping
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

Thats Amazing, never seen anything like it! :shock:
Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
But in this day and age, how sure can you be how much is the "lightining" and how much as PhotoChopping
Well obviously there is extensive post processing in Photo Shop, but what really makes a photo great is attention to where you point the light.

You can clearly see the difference in photos by using lighting equipment as Martijn shows us more and more of his work
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Originally Posted by RC45
Well obviously there is extensive post processing in Photo Shop, but what really makes a photo great is attention to where you point the light.

You can clearly see the difference in photos by using lighting equipment as Martijn shows us more and more of his work
Of course - lighting and compoaition ia photography, but with such extensive post-processing its more an attestment to the guys creativte artist geniuse, than the photos

Not saying they don't look amazing, but the truely great photographers all died 30 yeasr ago

The rest are all superd "post produciionists"
Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

But all those dead folks are all wishing they could be making the photos that the photo shoppers are making today

I've taken a bunch of film courses and although I do miss getting my hands dirty in the dark room, it's just so much easier to do things that would usually take you a full day at the lab in Photo Shop.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
I do miss getting my hands dirty in the dark room, it's just so much easier to do things that would usually take you a full day at the lab in Photo Shop.
But isnt that the point though? Once it becomes "easy" and simply requires a mouse click, it's no longer a "skill"

Technology is great - and will always advance, but along the way it does cheapen the skills of the artisan.

Take the Home Depot - 40 years ago youhad no choice but to hire a skileld craftsman to build a thing in the back yard, these days youjust get a DVD and rent the Home Depot truck
Old 03-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yup, technology is hear to replace you and your job Luckily my job is to keep on top of technology, so I will be able to see the end coming.