Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
ae86_16v
Regular User

Default Cars Owned By Rich Guys

William Gates III

Net Worth: $46.5 billion

Vehicles Owned: 1999 Porsche 911 Convertible; 1988 Porsche 959 Coupe

Source: State of Washington Department of Licensing

Microsoft founder, philanthropist and self-proclaimed "nerd" William Gates III vents his software stress behind the wheel of two Porsches. His daily driver, a 1999 Porsche 911 Convertible is ripe for replacement, especially considering that Porsche has totally redesigned the latest 911, the 997, for 2005. Now, after waiting some 10 years, Gates can finally enjoy his other favorite Porsche: a rare (1 of 230) 1988 Porsche 959 Coupe. In fact, due to the 959's questionable emissions and unknown crash ratings, it took a federal law signed by President Clinton for Bill Gates to legally drive his 959 on American roads. Rumor has it that Bill Gates and Paul Allen employed Microsoft engineers to write a computer program that could simulate the 959's crashworthiness, which helped in the bill's passage.

Warren Buffett

Net Worth: $44 billion

Vehicles Owned: 2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

Source: Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles

With a license plate that reads "THRIFTY," it could belong to no other than billionaire investor Warren Buffett. The car behind the license plate is also relatively thrifty: a 2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Despite his license plate, one can only wonder why the billionaire splurged on the Signature Series Lincoln Town Car with its stylish half-length vinyl top instead of saving a few thousand dollars on a Ford Crown Victoria. Regardless, Buffett prefers the Lincoln's wide bench seats and will take an American Town Car over a Cadillac or Lexus any day.

Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud

Net Worth: $23.7 billion

Vehicles Owned: Infiniti FX45; Hummer H1; Volvo XC90; Rolls-Royce Phantom; Daewoo Matiz

Source: French news magazine program, "Zone Interdite" on broadcasting network M6

Rolls-Royce Phantom
As the nephew of Saudi King Abdullah, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud is no stranger to the finer things in life. His free-spending attitude is easily seen in his garage, where he always buys a duplicate of every one of his vehicles. Two Infiniti FX45s, two Hummer H1s and two Volvo XC90s all take up residency inside the Prince's lavish garage. The reason for such excess? The Prince buys one vehicle for himself and an exact duplicate for his body guards. A glimpse inside the Prince's garage also reveals a vehicular absurdity: parked next to two Daewoo Matiz' are two Rolls-Royce Phantoms. The reason for such an odd placement? The Prince holds a significant stake in Daewoo, the Korean car company now controlled by GM.

Ingvar Kamprad

Net Worth: $23 billion

Vehicles Owned: 1993 Volvo 240 GL

Source: Financial Times

Founder of the Swedish furniture and home goods company IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad is the proud owner of a 13-year-old Volvo 240 GL. Though he may own a Volvo, Kamprad still takes the bus and even uses his pensioners' discount card, as he explained in a rare 1999 interview. Despite being a double-digit billionaire, Kamprad also still flies economy class and avoids luxury hotels. In fact, in his self-scribed 1976 Bible, "A Furniture Dealer's Testament," Kamprad decries that "IKEA people do not drive flashy cars or stay at luxury hotels." Indeed, Ingvar Kamprad practices what he preaches.

Paul Allen

Net Worth: $21 billion

Vehicles Owned: 1988 Porsche 959 Coupe (pictured above); 1988 Mazda B-Series Pickup

When not sitting at the captain's chair of his 413-foot yacht, Octopus, Allen can be found cruising the autobahn in his 1988 Porsche 959 Coupe. Originally, Allen planned to drive his Porsche on American soil, but stringent emissions standards and crash-test ratings kept his and Bill Gates' 959s impounded in customs. Frustrated, Allen gave up and decided to ship his 959 back to Europe, where he enjoys driving it today. When he is in Seattle, Allen has a 1988 Mazda B-Series Pickup that he uses to get around.

Lawrence Ellison

Net Worth: $18.4 billion

Vehicles Owned: 2006 Bentley Flying Spur (pictured above); Bentley Continental GT

Source: Business Week magazine

Known as the "Oracle," Larry Ellison does not shy from the limelight like some other billionaires on the list. He has a penchant for adventure, be it in his MIG fighter jet or his America's Cup racing Yacht. Strangely, though, Ellison doesn't drive a BMW as one might assume given that his company co-sponsors an America's Cup team with the Bavarian company. Instead, Ellison prefers the finer things in life, like the British luxury, style and refinement found only in a Bentley. As the most powerful luxury sedan, the Bentley Flying Spur provides Ellison with the perfect balance of driving exhilaration and four-door practicality.

Jim Walton

Net Worth: $18.2 billion

Vehicles Owned: 2002 Dodge Dakota Pickup (pictured above); 2000 Acura Integra; 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport; 1999 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup; 1959 Cadillac

Source: Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles

Growing up, Jim Walton worked for his Dad at Wal-Mart sweeping stores and stocking shelves. Today, he presides over the largest family empire inside a non-descript building in Bentonville, Ark. that he shares with around 20 employees. For Walton, vehicles are a means to an end. This might explain why his daily driver is a 2002 Dodge Dakota pickup. When payload capacity is of concern, Walton might drive his 1999 Chevrolet Silverado pickup to the dump. But most days, he prefers his Dodge Dakota or 2000 Acura Integra, a nimble vehicle that returns superb fuel economy.

Alice Walton

Net Worth: $18 billion

Vehicles Owned: 2006 Ford F-150 King Ranch

Source: Texas Department of Transportation

A rough-and-tumble woman who isn't afraid of rolling up her sleeves and breaking a nail, Alice Walton lives in Texas on her ranch. Her history with vehicles is bumpy. According to the Springdale, Ark. police department, on April 4, 1989, Alice Walton struck a 50-year-old woman who walked into the path of her 1987 Porsche. No citations were issued to Walton, though the woman later died from her injuries. Also, about nine years later in Springdale, Walton was cited and later fined $925 for driving while intoxicated after she lost control of her 1997 Toyota 4-Runner and slammed it into a gas meter. Walton now has a 2006 Ford F-150 King Ranch, which provides her with an ideal blend of luxury and towing capacity.

Michael Dell

Net Worth: $16 billion

Vehicles Owned: 2004 Porsche Boxster; 2005 Hummer H2

Source: Texas Department of Transportation

The King of the personal computer, Michael Dell's empire has allowed him to create a life of luxury. On sunny days in Austin, Texas, Dell can be seen sans top in his 2004 Porsche Boxster. But when the weather turns nasty, Dell enjoys the comfort and security of his latest toy: a 2005 Hummer H2 SUV.

Steven Ballmer

Net Worth: $12.1 billion

Vehicles Owned: 1998 Lincoln Continental

Another Microsoft billionaire, Steven Ballmer grew up in Motor City, USA. With oil running through his veins, one might assume that Ballmer would have a fleet of Ferraris, Porsches and Rolls-Royces. Wrong. Steven Ballmer stays true to his Detroit roots by driving a 1998 Lincoln Continental. Though more sporty than Warren Buffet's Lincoln Town Car, Ballmer's maroon Lincoln Continental is no red Ferrari. On the horizon: a Lincoln Zephyr, but expect Ballmer to pile on at least another 10,000 miles first.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
SilviaEvo
Regular User

are these all the cars owned by the people listed? i thought Ballmer, Gates, or Allen had an Enzo that i saw cruising around
Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
lorbmw69
Regular User

no Enzo's in that group i'd say...these billionaires seem to be pretty conservative

1995 Saab 900 Turbo
lorbmw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #4
sameerrao
Regular User

I doubt this is a full tally of cars for all of them. The Gates mansion has a 10 car garage. I doubt that he has only 2 cars - besides his wife will need a car as well... It might be licensed under her name which is why it doesnt pull up under his name.

Alwaleed has mansions in Europe and elsewhere and has two kids in their 20s ... he has to have more cars.

Larry Ellison had a McLaren F1 which was recently sold and has a 360 Modena I believe. I am sure he has more cars.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

good read! the blurb for alice walton just makes me hate wal-mart even more. im glad she got away with vehicular manslaughter.. helps to have money i guess
Old 03-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

her brother Rob Walton has a Ferrari 250 GTO and some other rare cars ... makes up for her

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Pav
Regular User

Well, they must have more cars.

King Abdullah is a collectionner himself.
Tho, many don't care about cars, you have to be a car freak to have a 50-car garage.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Shinigami
Regular User

Bill Gates is a big fan of Porsches. another article mentioned him having even more then just two cars, some of them impounded at the port since they are/weren't street legal in the US...

hmmm

Anyway, whilst it's true someone with 50 cars should be a car fan, that's only possible if you're very, very rich. I think anyone with 4 or more "personal" cars is already someone who takes driving a bit more seriously I think personally, even if I was very rich, I'd only keep a maximum of 20 cars... probably closer to ten. That's a good number if you wanna be able to drive 'em all. If I wanted to be a collectioner, then that's another story.

But I don't always see fans as being the same thing as a collectioner. A collectioner will just try to get all the rarest examples of whatever they search. Do they really even have to be fans of the subject matter at hand? It helps, but I don't think it quite goes hand in hand *shrug*
Old 03-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

kinda lame cars for the money in question... :roll:

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #10
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Some nice bit of interesting info there..

but what the fuck does this mean?

"program that could simulate the 959's crashworthiness"
Old 03-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
StanAE86
Regular User

Same List?

http://www.jumbojoke.com/baby_you_ca...y_car_654.html
Old 03-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
DeMoN
Regular User

wtf is as if they dont want to spend to try to be in top 10 most rich doods.