Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Bike Chat > Bike Pictures and Videos

Old 03-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
DI48LO
Regular User

Default My friend's new bike

He just bought another R1. It's a limited edition SP. With 180 HP it's a monster.

I posted pics of his other bike awhile ago:
DI48LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

AWESOME Looks great in black. Planning on any mods?

Is the older bike a moviestar edition?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
DI48LO
Regular User

I don't know what his plans are, he said he likes the old one better. The old one is a plain simple 98/99 R1 with the new(er) generation spoilers. It has some exhaust, a smaller cog-wheel (gear-wheel?) and not much other modification I know of. I made all the stickers for it. If anyone is interesed, I can make further more.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by DI48LO View Post
I don't know what his plans are, he said he likes the old one better. The old one is a plain simple 98/99 R1 with the new(er) generation spoilers. It has some exhaust, a smaller cog-wheel (gear-wheel?) and not much other modification I know of. I made all the stickers for it. If anyone is interesed, I can make further more.
He probably likes the older R1 better because of the more prominent grunt at lower RPMs. The 04-08 R1s don't really produce their power until much higher in the RPM range. Tell him to go down one tooth on the front sprocket, and up one on the rear. This will give him the low end pull that he wants.

Styla, they don't make a Movistar Yamaha. His bike was dressed up with decals to look like Rossi's M1.

DI48LO, tell your firend that isn't a real SP Edition (the immediate giveaway are the wheels and suspension). I hope he didn't pay a premium for it. If he did, have him go back and give the seller hell.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
DI48LO
Regular User

Actually he got it cheap. I noticed too that the wheels on this one is a bit different, but in the papers it says SP, and it has 180 HP. Where can I find the special number plate if it's really an SP? I saw a picture of the number plate, but couldn't tell where it's placed.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by DI48LO View Post
Actually he got it cheap. I noticed too that the wheels on this one is a bit different, but in the papers it says SP, and it has 180 HP. Where can I find the special number plate if it's really an SP? I saw a picture of the number plate, but couldn't tell where it's placed.
All 04-08 R1s have roughly 180hp at the crank, give or take a few hp (well, 180hp documented at least, since none are truly making anywhere near that). The SPs have essentially the same motor as the regular R1s. SPs come with Marchesini wheels and front and rear Ohlins suspension. If he got it cheap, I wouldn't worry about it. The previous owner probably took them off to keep for himself.

There should be a visible number plate on the upper triple tree. If you don't know what that is, it is the area right in front of the gas tank, between the clip ons (handlebars).

Last edited by Minacious; 03-08-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Minacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
Styla, they don't make a Movistar Yamaha. His bike was dressed up with decals to look like Rossi's M1.
I deserve banishment for my comment earlier... Thanks for the correction!