Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #16
Mattk
Regular User

No need to wait until tomorrow.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0405-9tcy.html
Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Thanh-BKK
Regular User

Hi.

Just so those Europeans can stay in bed a bit longer the races are timed in such a way that a simple rain delay makes it impossible to continue because it gets too dark!

So for those European TV watchers' convenience, thousands of locals pay VERY high prices for tickets only to see 30% of a race and a 40-minute "standing party" (those on the rest of the track saw an empty track for 40 minutes!)

I could imagine that next year those great stands will be empty.

Does F1 actually still care for the people who come to the races, or is it only about television now? Me being in Bangkok, Malaysia and Singapore are the only places where i *could* actually afford to watch a race live..... lucky i didn't waste my money on this farce.

Best regards....

Thanh
Thanh-BKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
5vz-fe
Regular User

For years, ppl has been saying that Brawn is master of Pit stop strategy, I think today is a pretty good showing of that.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #19
mts6800
Regular User

I think they waited in case weather cleared and they could restart the race. If they hadn't waited and the weather cleared then they would look pretty dumb for not waiting. A restart would have given more racing action for the fans and if they made 3/4ths of the race distance full points for those finishing in the first 8 positions.

On the other hand, it was too dark to safely drive the cars due to the start being set so late in the day.

They were dumb to start at 5pm and if they are smart they will at least start at 4 next year. They were in fact lucky the rain didn't start sooner and make them red flag the race before 1/2 distance was made.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
Mattk
Regular User

There has been lots of controversy over late starts, but Singapore went the whole hog and simply waited till the sun went down, before lighting the entire strip with spotlights, and that has gone down a treat.