Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Chevrolet Camaro Grand Sport Race Car Prototype

In trad Sunoco livery!!!!!!!!

"The new Camaro is a 21st century sports car for the young and young at heart," said Ed Peper, GM North America vice president, Chevrolet. "Wherever your automotive passion lies, the Camaro complements it with world-class design and an exciting driving experience. The concepts unveiled at SEMA accentuate those qualities and trigger the imaginations of countless enthusiasts."

Camaro GS Racecar Concept: One of the most iconic cars of the legendary Trans Am road racing series was the distinctive blue-and-yellow Camaro of Mark Donohue. He was a dominant racer in the series and drove his #6 1969 model to the series championship that year.

With the assistance of GM's High Performance Vehicle Operations, North Carolina-based Riley Technologies re-created the look and feel of that standout racecar with a tribute that looks, sounds and drives like it's ready to do battle with its contemporary pony car competitors. In fact, the heritage-inspired racer is more than concept. It is an early prototype for the Grand Am Koni Challenge GS racing class. Racecars like the GS Concept are offered and manufactured by Riley Technologies for the 2009 Grand-Am season.

The GS Concept features the race-ready suspension, reinforced chassis and drivetrain conform to the specifications required of racecars certified for the series. In fact, this racecar has already logged many hours on the racetrack as Riley team members worked to dial-in the chassis and powertrain. Additional features include:
• Seam-welded production Camaro body-in-white
• Carbon fiber hood, trunk lid, doors and fenders
• Production LS3 V-8 engine (used with solid engine mounts)
• Tremec 6060 six-speed manual transmission with close-ratio gearing
• Three-inch exhaust system with Coast Fab mufflers
• C&R racing aluminum radiator
• Upgraded engine oil cooler
• Transmission and differential coolers

The GS Racecar Concept is shown at SEMA just as it was last driven off the track, with the grime, brake dust and body imperfections commensurate with a day's worth of racing. Indeed, it isn't a car that spent hundreds of hours in a body shop in a quest of sheet metal perfection. It displays the bruises of competition and wears them as badges of honor.

Like Donohue's '69 Camaro racecar, the GS Racecar Concept wears a deep blue paint scheme that is accented with yellow graphics, a yellow-painted interior and yellow racing wheels.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
79TA
Regular User

YEEESSSSSS!!!!!! If they can get the Challenger in on the Koni Challenge series, we'll have a modern Trans Am style pony car war on our hands! Even without the big Dodge, seeing Camaros and Mustangs battle it out will be amazing . . . now if we could only get them to the Long Beach Grand Prix. That Camaro is also HOTT. This and the Raptor made my day. I think I'll be happy tomorrow no matter what happens during the election.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
79TA
Regular User

ZOMG that thing is freaking hott!

Now that NASCAR and Grand Am are owned by the same people, hopefully Grand Am will be promoted well enough to get more network or Speed Channel coverage.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
YEEESSSSSS!!!!!! If they can get the Challenger in on the Koni Challenge series, we'll have a modern Trans Am style pony car war on our hands! Even without the big Dodge, seeing Camaros and Mustangs battle it out will be amazing . . . now if we could only get them to the Long Beach Grand Prix. That Camaro is also HOTT. This and the Raptor made my day. I think I'll be happy tomorrow no matter what happens during the election.
Nice idea in theory... buuuut.. as you are aware there is an election today... and the very idea of such wasteful expending of fossil fuels "some" groups find personally insulting... surely you jest
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
pitfield
Regular User

I'm moving to America!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote