Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Default Advance Networking Help Needed

Hello MW users.
I have a question that is really messing me up with an upgrade I am doing.

Simple question. I need to make it to the point where whoever logs onto my network with either Wireless or a Wired connection goes to a certain web page when they open up their Internet Explorer or Firefox browser. Ex. If I connect to my password protected wireless network through a wireless access point I want to be redirected to a certain web page I have created and then from there the user must read the Terms and Conditions and then agree to them and click accept and then the user can use the internet as they wish.

Sounds simple but I'm just lost! I am assuming you need to do this VIA external Hardware connected to the switch and modem???

Also my setup is a Commercial Grade Comcast based Cable Modem. I have currently (3) 48 port switches which connect to a bunch of patch panels. Also from the switchs I will be connecting about 6-7 wireless Access Points.
Please let me know if anyone needs more infomation to help me out, and this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys.

*EDIT*
I forgot to mention, I spoke to one of my Tech Engineer friend I know of that works for the County and he suggested I use a Proxy Server. Do you guys think this will be a good idea or is there another way of doing this? I want to try out other ways out as well, but whichever is easier.

Last edited by Pimp Racer; 01-31-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Pimp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

Sounds simple but I'm just lost! I am assuming you need to do this VIA external Hardware connected to the switch and modem???
You can do this 2 ways. Proxy server or VPN. Either way you need additional software to do so.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
You can do this 2 ways. Proxy server or VPN. Either way you need additional software to do so.
Alright I was thinking something along those lines.
Now a small question what would you suggest? I was thinking Proxy but not so sure.
Also should I go linux based or windows based server? What are the hardware and software requirements needed to do this?
Also if I do a Proxy server, then the user who connects to my wireless does not need any additional software on their computer correct?
EX. The user logs on windows, longs onto my wireless connections using the built in wireless network finder in XP and then just open up Internet Explorer and bam they are directed to the website of my choice and then once they agree to the terms there they can do whatever they want? Thanks for the response buddy!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

Use m0n0wall.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/images/screens/s...tiveportal.png

http://m0n0.ch/wall/
Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Holy shit dude that looks like it might solve my problems! Let me see if I can try this out tonight. If it does man I can never repay you enough for the help!
Also just a quick question have you ever used this and if so how is it reliability wise? Just curious you know since I will need this up for 24/7 for every day forever. Altough I know that someimes you gotta reboot it which is no problem though. Anyways once again thanks man and I cant wait to try this out. I am about to go dig through my junk and try to set up a PC just for this!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
5vz-fe
Regular User

I have been using this for 2 years (not the portal part, but IPSec VPN). It is on 24/7 during that period.

Reboot only when there are new updates. It is linux, nuf said.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe View Post
I have been using this for 2 years (not the portal part, but IPSec VPN). It is on 24/7 during that period.

Reboot only when there are new updates. It is linux, nuf said.
nice that sounds good man. And yeah linux is pretty damn stable. Anyways the updates are optional so I think I will just pass up on those unless they are critical. I am about to download the Generic PC img, but before that I'm gonna actually read the whole entire documentation.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Alright guys an update. I got the mOnOwall firewall program working and now i just have one minor problem.
How do I hook up a wireless router to the thing? This is my setup.
Cable Modem -> mOnOwall firewall PC -> to a temorpary 8 port Linksys Hub -> Wireless router.

See if I have it hooked up just like
Cable Modem -> mOnOwall firewall PC -> to a temorpary 8 port Linksys Hub -> direct connection to computer it works fine and as it should.
But as soon as I put in the router and then connect VIA the router wireless or wired it doesnt work at all. Any ideas? Also is it possible to monitor what everyone that is connected is doing? Ex. If I see someone where they are not supposed to be can I kick them off or keep a log or something so I can ban them or something like that? Also is it possible to keep a log of who which MAC address has downloaded how much, what sites they have been to and what not?
Thanks guys once again and the help is very appreciated.
*EDIT*
Also forgot to mention when I was setting up the program I choose to disable the VLAN. I do not think I need it but I am not very sure.

Last edited by Pimp Racer; 02-01-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

You probably connected from your hub to the router's WAN port. You should connect to the router's LAN port. Disable DHCP server on your router.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Pimp Racer
Regular User

You probably connected from your hub to the router's WAN port. You should connect to the router's LAN port. Disable DHCP server on your router.
Thats weird I try that but my wireless still doesnt work BUT the wired in the router still works. WTF? I am soooo lost. Thanks for the help so far though man.
*EDIT*
BTW it is a WEP 64 bit 10 hex digits protected wireless and also the router is a Linksys WRT54GX2 if that helps.

*EDIT AGAIN*
I took a screen shot of the routers web management page and this is the default settings I guess if you can just point out which I need to change and to what it would be the easiest way.
CLICK TO MAKE BIGGER

The ones I changed were the Local Ip Adress to 192.168.1.2 and the Subnet to 255.255.255. 128
What else do I need to change to get the wireless working? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Pimp Racer; 02-04-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

DHCP server should be disable

remember, your subnet mask should match that of the m0n0wall.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Pimp Racer
Regular User

DHCP server should be disable

remember, your subnet mask should match that of the m0n0wall.
Alright man I finally got it working. The subnet thing was part of the problem and the other part was I needed to add the routers ip adress to the alia list and then it started working. Great news for me.
Now I just need to know why my WPA kicks me off after using it for like 6 hours straight but my WEP does not kick me off and I can continue doing whatever I was doing. I was thinking about sending the router back in to get it fixed or something but I do not think I have time for that.
Anyways thanks alot for the help man I owe you and the guy on the monowall forums a huge one!