Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-28-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default ALMS Murcielagos call it quits

KROHN-BARBOUR RACING DISCONTINUES LAMBORGHINI PROGRAM

Krohn-Barbour Racing has made the decision not to enter its two Lamborghini Murciélago R-GTs in the next round of the American Le Mans Series, the season finale at Laguna Seca, California, on October 14-16.

Krohn-Barbour Racing was established this year by successful businessman Tracy Krohn and sports car legend Dick Barbour, and has contested most rounds of the ALMS since taking delivery of the two Lamborghinis in mid-June, shortly before the second of the series’ nine races. The team’s two cars have been driven by David Brabham/Peter Kox and Tracy Krohn/Scott Maxwell.

Krohn explained: “With regret we’ve decided to say no to going to Laguna Seca, and to discontinue our racing program with the Lamborghinis. We always knew the Lamborghini would need some development work, being a new race car, but we went into this program having been promised a level of factory support that in my opinion was not delivered.

“Krohn-Barbour negotiated with Lamborghini ahead of the season and reached an agreement in good faith. Krohn-Barbour has honored all of its commitments. Unfortunately Lamborghini didn’t provide the draft contract until the day before delivery of the second car, and in my opinion this failed to reflect the original agreement. Discussions with Lamborghini at Petit Le Mans last weekend failed to resolve this.

“This is a disappointment, but it’s also an opportunity. There are other race cars and other types of race cars out there. Krohn-Barbour Racing has set very high standards in preparation, engineering, and presentation, and is evaluating options with a view to a new program in 2005 and beyond.”

“Looking back on 2004, I’d like to make special mention of our technical partner Pirelli. In particular, I’d like to thank Peter Tyson [Vice President, Advertising, Public Relations and Motorsports] and Guy Mannino [President and CEO of Pirelli Tires North America] for their commitment and support.”
Well, that sucks. I wanted to at least see them race, but they didn't bother to show up at the Road America race while I was there. The ALMS needs more entries, so while they have dropped out, I hope they secure another car for next year.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Ok now I officially will stop watching ALMS.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 PM   #3
tigerx
Regular User

wut a shame, but somehow, im not surprise.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
jorge
Regular User

jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Why? The ALMS isn't to blame. Lamborghini, Krohn, and Barbour are to blame. I'm sure they'll be back next year, just with a diffeent car.
Lets face it, the Murcielago needs a heck of a lot more development to win races.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
snacky
Regular User

I just think the Murciélago sux. It's too heavy and I can't even spell it ! (had to cut & paste "Murciélago")

The Gallardo: Now THAT's a RACE CAR !!!
Old 09-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
jamberl
Regular User

Originally Posted by snacky
I just think the Murciélago sux. It's too heavy and I can't even spell it ! (had to cut & paste "Murciélago")

The Gallardo: Now THAT's a RACE CAR !!!

I doubt the murc is that heavy once they strip it out and make it into a racecar.... And dont the different classes have minimum weight limits anyway?
Old 09-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Why? The ALMS isn't to blame. Lamborghini, Krohn, and Barbour are to blame. I'm sure they'll be back next year, just with a diffeent car.
Lets face it, the Murcielago needs a heck of a lot more development to win races.
Well, I dont want to see Vettes go in circlues. There is basicly zero competition in GTS.........GT is boring and LMP900 and 675 is not my type if thing,
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
666fast
Regular User

Yea, GTS is seriously lacking in entrants. i think they'll have that changed by next season. ALMS knows it's fields are small, they have doen extrememly well over the years making ALMS the best road racing in America, I don't think they'll just let it waste away.
The new C6-R's are to debut in January, hopefully they won't be as quick as the current C5'R's, that way there will be more competition.

If you ask me, the best class to watch are the 675's, or P2 whatever you wanna call it. Behind that is the GT class. The GT class I thought was very good this year. Right now it's a battle for points. Season champs will be decided for the 675's and GT class at the next race.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
callen
Regular User

i thought although tthey didnt win any races, the lambos were very competitive. its a shame that lambo didnt feel the same , since they apparently didnt support the program at KROHN-BARBOUR. i hope the lambos will find another team, but it looks like the factory doesnt care enuf to pursue it...
Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #11
stradale
Regular User

The Sport Auto article provided by st-anger not long ago will shed some light on this. The article mentions problems in ALMS with the Murciélago, mainly due to the difference between the ACO regulations (ALMS and LM) and FIA regulations (FIA-GT). The rear wing is allowed to be much bigger with the FIA regulations and Reiter (who develops the R-GT for Lamborghini) acknowledged that they haven't been able to sort it out yet.

It's a shame Krohn-Barbour is giving up so soon. The only way to make a car competitive is to run it and keep improving. The 550 wasn't a winner straight away either.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
DUNKiNUTS

perfect time for them to now come to the US and race
DUNKiNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #13
stradale
Regular User

Have you actually read the first post?