Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Lamborghini

Lamborghini Everything Lamborghini

Old 10-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
bmagni
Regular User

Default No Miura or retro designs and possible SUV in the future

Lambo’s brief flirtation with retro design – epitomised by the January 2006 Miura concept – is over, says boss Stephan Winkelmann. ‘The Miura was a celebration of our history, but Lamborghini is about the future.

‘Retro design is not what we are here for. So we won’t do the Miura, even as a limited edition.’

Lamborghini unveiled the updated Miura to celebrate the original supercar’s 40th birthday. But a plan to build the car stalled, when the business case didn’t stack up.

Winkelmann also said that other iconic nameplates – such as the Espada 2+2 or the LM002 SUV – were unlikely to be resurrected either. ‘The concept of a Lamborghini 2+2 or an SUV is possible, but we wouldn’t use the name Espada or LM002.’

The rumour mill suggests an SUV will be the next all-new Lamborghini. The high performance 4x4 should share the underpinnings of Audi’s forthcoming Q5 crossover. The Cayenne rival, expected in 2008, will have typically outlandish styling.

‘I want Lamborghini on the edge,’ said Winkelmann. ‘Our brand values are uncompromising, extreme and Italian. And I want our product to match the brand. Lamborghinis must be lower, wider and more sharply styled than our rivals.’

To tide us over, expect more versions of the existing range. A roadster version of the LP640 is expected in late November, and stripped out versions of the V12 Murcielago and V10 Gallardo are also on the cards. The Gallardo might even go rear-drive, to save weight and boost agility.

But Winkelmann vows Lamborghini will not grow too quickly. This year, Sant’Agata expects to sell a record 2000 cars. ‘It would be easy to sell more than 2000 cars next year, but I want a sustainable business and we don’t want to risk the brand. And I don’t want customers to have to wait longer than 12 months,’ said Winkelmann.

Words: Phil McNamara
This is just perfect. Car manufacturers as Ferrari and Lambo should't be doing retro cars (even if theyre super cool like the P 4/5 or Miura Concept, or as horrible as the 599 GTO) but instead bringing new innovative designs (as they're doing). Its much better to have new things rather than the same old boring car, like the 911. I don't approve the possibility of the SUV but oh well.
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
TopGearNL
Regular User

I read an article recently in TG magazine where Richard May said they shouldn´t do retro cars, and explaining why and everything and I got to say he does have a point !

But please don´t tell me they´re doing a SUV aswell :roll:
Old 10-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
r2r
Regular User

Great to hear about Lamborghini's lack of interest in retro design.

Stripped out versions of the Murcielago and the Gallardo sound very promising, but the SUV idea I'm not to sure about,
unless they can make it look drastically different form other SUV's, in a Lambo type of way.
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
yg60m
Regular User

Too bad they choose the possibility of an SUV over a modern Espada ...
Old 10-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
davide
Regular User

RWD gallardo sounds really interesting but a SUV... ?
Save those cash and lighten the gallardo more to compete with the Ferrari CS
Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by davide
RWD gallardo sounds really interesting but a SUV... ?
Save those cash and lighten the gallardo more to compete with the Ferrari CS
Exactly
Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
acmarttin
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
now if they plan another Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 style SUV... then forget what I'be said
I have a sharp fear that a $100k + Q7 is what we should expect. :cry:
Old 10-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
blue8
Regular User

Just as most, I don't approve of the Lambo SUV. But who am I to make that decision? Anyways, a stripped Murcielago and Gallardo is definitely something to look forward to if those plans push through. Finally a Lambo that doesn't have to weigh like an actual bull! And here's to hoping for the end of superficial updates/variants or whatever it's called like the Gallardo Nera and LP640 Versace (fashion conscious Lambo?!?!). They may be exclusive and eye catchers but it just doesn't bode well with the raging bull emblem.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
a007apl
Regular User

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...9012&start=240
:roll:
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
blue8
Regular User

Originally Posted by acmarttin
Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
now if they plan another Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 style SUV... then forget what I'be said
I have a sharp fear that a $100k + Q7 is what we should expect. :cry:
If i'm not mistaken, it will be based on the upcoming Q5. And from a computer-rendered image i saw, though it's unlikely, it will have the same headlamps as that of the Gallardo. :shock: i don't want lamborghini to apply the same creative input as porsche did with the cayenne...
blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
fsandys
Regular User

With the Espada and Miura out of the picture, the next all-new Lamborghini model could be an SUV based on Audi's upcoming Q5 — a compact four-wheel-drive vehicle in the mold of the recently introduced Q7. Winkelmann says a performance-based SUV could fit well with the Lamborghini brand, but he doesn't hint when it is likely to arrive.
What this means to you: Rumors about Lamborghini's future have been flying thick and fast since it was purchased by Audi in 1998. Some of them, including talk of a SUV successor to the LM002, appear to be on track.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117246

Oh dear!

Surely this is not good news for Lamborghini ?
fsandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

:bad: i still had hope for the miura..
I agree they should go and make new radical shapes, but sometimes retro has place, like the Z8, ford GT and the miura could have been a great one..
..very bad news for me..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote