Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Lamborghini

Lamborghini Everything Lamborghini

Old 06-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #16
saadie
Regular User

maybe the new engine overwhelms the old vicous 4wd system
this is bad news :roll:
Old 06-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #17
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

You can't expect such a heavy car with that much power to be safe. Why do you think the Veyron is held back by computers..
Old 06-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
You can't expect such a heavy car with that much power to be safe. Why do you think the Veyron is held back by computers..
A standard Murcielago isn't that heavy, at 3,600lbs, and the LP640 is supposed to be lighter than that, more than likely putting it in the high 3,500lb region, which isn't that heavy at all for a car the size of the Murcielago with AWD and a 6.5L V12.
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater
Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
A standard Murcielago isn't that heavy, at 3,600lbs, and the LP640 is supposed to be lighter than that, more than likely putting it in the high 3,500lb region, which isn't that heavy at all for a car the size of the Murcielago with AWD and a 6.5L V12.

Quick google search came up with 3671 lb for the LP640's curb weight..

Now, the regular Murci is just as heavy, but not as powerful.. more Power, same heavy body (yes 3,600lbs is FUCKING HEAVY when you're talking about a sports car).

The only reason the Bugatti isn't so deadly is because of the constant electronic aids.. (putting on the breaks, cutting throttle, shifting the suspension, etc)
Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #20
StanAE86
Regular User

With the CGT lawsuit, I'll bet Lambo is watching it closely. I wouldn't be surprised if Lambo pulls this car from US distribution. Why bother and take the chance some yahoo wrecks and sues?

I don't understand why they can't put all the computer aids in it, and a dial that allows different degrees of aggression, like Ferrari's newer cars. Normal, Sport, and Race..even more settings might be good, allowing more increments of aggressiveness by the computer.

Balboni might be getting a little old now. I remember meeting him in Monterey's Concorso Italiano, he looked to be in his late 50s to 60s. It might also be that we didn't hear about the cars he wrecked before. Maybe he laid out a few Diablos and Murcs before those hit the market too. With the internet, good news travels fast and bad news travels faster. I hope he's okay.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #21
nickthaskater

Ah yea you're right, it is 3670, I didn't realize the final weight had been published (didn't come across it in my initial search).

Regardless, that's still not horribly bad. Look at the Merc McLaren SLR for example: 3734lbs, 617hp, 575lb-ft. The current range of Lamborghinis have electronic aids as well (thank you Audi), so really, who knows what's causing these crashes. The LP640 does have a retuned suspension system in it, maybe there's a flaw in there? I really don't think you can put the blame on it weighing as much as it does though.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:22 PM   #22
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Man, it's amazing that the SLR weighs that much and it doesnt even have AWD or a V12.

Reviewers of hte LP640 do say it is a very different beast from the Murci.. So maybe they were just going for that cut throat driving experience..

Call me old fashioned, but I'm just sick of these new exotics. With technology these days auto manufactures are straying away from the idea of driving as an emotion, being apart of the car.

I'm sure a lot of you can agree with me that a 2,000lb RWD car with 400hp(give or take) would be way more fun and safe..
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #23
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by bmuller
Jesus, Car and Driver just finished crashing a brand new Ferrari 599 last month, and now they wreck an LP640?
Actually "they" didn't wreck it, if y'all read the original post you'd know it was balboni who wrecked it
I did read it, though I guess I missed the part where it said who Balboni was, because to be honest, I have never heard of him until this point, so I figured it was just someone driving for C&D.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #24
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by 30cm_penis
I did read it, though I guess I missed the part where it said who Balboni was, because to be honest, I have never heard of him until this point, so I figured it was just someone driving for C&D.
Balboni has been the Lamborghini tesdriver for ages... and if I'm not mistaken - he started in the company as a mechanic - being now the most important figure in Lamborghini's history after Ferruccio Lamborghini himself
From the mail room to management eh? That's pretty cool, thanks for the info
Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #25
chest3r
Regular User

Man, this guy really should learn how to drive I'm available to give him some lessons
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #26
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

^ LOL

Yeah I think it's time for Lamborghini to let him go and hire me as his replacement
Old 06-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #27
nickthaskater

/sends in application
Old 06-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #28
RC45
Regular User

This is possible?

Car ethusiasts who don't know who Mr Balboni is?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #29
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
This is possible?

Car ethusiasts who don't know who Mr Balboni is?
i didnt' think it was possible!

honestly, i guess i didnt know til i was about 16; but, before then i didn't really care much about cars
Old 07-01-2006, 12:33 AM   #30
sentra_dude

All the talk of three crashes being excessive for a new car before being released...hmm, I think if we could get a more inside look at car testing in general, and specifically sports/exotic-car testing, we'd see a lot more crashes...we just don't hear about them, because its obviously really bad press. As someone already said, we have the internet now, and with that we have very extensive networks of insider information, that give us news that normally wouldn't become public for along time, if ever (obviously not in this case). Bad news travels really fast.

Just because Balboni crashed one car doesn't make him a bad driver or the car dangerous/bad, he was after all pushing the limits of the car. I would venture to guess he has crashed at least half a dozen Lambos in his career (probably more). Maybe not, but its not unlikely, and Lambo hasn't fired him yet. Driving a car, ANY car, fast and on the limit, is inhertenly dangerous.

I've heard the great Walter Rohl tanked three CGT's during testing, and that's a much more limited production car than the LP will be... I'm sure plenty of Diablos and Countachs and Miuras were crashed during testing as well, its a fact of life.

ANY car with ANY driver can crash, no matter how good the car is, and no matter how good the driver is...

Originally Posted by insane
No way. This has to put a lot of people thinking of buying one off. I mean if three have already been crashed before its release....and one by the official test driver.

Seems like the Lambo "safeness" that appearad with the original Murci and the Gallardo is going away again.
I doubt it will put too many people off, how many people were put off by the crashes of the CGT during testing?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote