Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-02-2004, 06:12 AM   #1
interceptor_01

Default Short facts, the official facts about the new M5

Official press release:

1. BMW Concept M5.

– The world’s first V10 high-revving engine in a saloon car.
– The world’s first 7-speed SMG in a saloon car.
– The best power-to-weight ratio in its market segment.

Precisely 20 years have already passed since the BMW M5 established a new segment, which has in the meantime also been discovered by other car manufacturers. And that car – the original – is still by far the most successful player in the high performance saloon car segment. Spread over three generations of production, more than 35,000 units were built – initially manually at the BMW M plant in Munich and later at the 5 Series
assembly line in Dingolfing. These units were then sold worldwide.
The secret of the BMW M5’s popularity has always been the successful synthesis of unobtrusive yet powerful appearance, combined with a
high-performance power unit – a sports car featuring Formula 1 technology and at the same time a saloon car offering premium comfort.
In terms of driving dynamics, the BMW M5 had always set standards in its segment. It not only excelled due to its high performance, but due to the way in which M power was produced and developed. It appeared as if this first-rate car’s inexhaustible power reserves had created a totally new dimension in effortlessness.

BMW M5 parameters: Performance, style and driving fun.

Due to the change of model within the 5 Series, the BMW M product portfolio is currently presented without a BMW M5, even though the demand for such a car has never diminished. For this reason, BMW M designers have begun designing a possible successor based on the new BMW 5 Series. This car is a far-reaching concept on an appealing subject: the BMW Concept M5.

Such a car could undoubtedly serve as a stimulus and offer solutions for a future series-production vehicle. Totally in keeping with the high demands of our clientele, whose main reasons for purchasing a car are performance, style and driving fun, the BMW M5 Concept makes its living out of contrasts: the principle of optimal performance wrapped in a discreet but, by comparison with the 5 Series, distinctive body design.

When seen alongside the new 5 Series, the exterior design of the
BMW Concept M5 has its very own uniqueness. Modified front and rear air dams and side sills, a slightly lower body, side air vents, an exclusive
wheel design as well as the four M-type tailpipes, visually accentuate the vehicle’s claim to being a sports car.

The first V10 high-revving power unit in a saloon car.

The heart of every M automobile, and that includes the BMW Concept M5, must be its exclusive high-performance power unit with high-revving air intake technology, an engine which sets a benchmark in this field. With this
engine, BMW M is presenting a masterpiece in power unit technology that undoubtedly has just what it takes: the figure 5 is predominant with a
5.0-litre capacity producing around 500 bhp (368 kW) and a maximum torque of at least 500 Nm, these being the kind of figures BMW M considers worthy of a possible new M5.

And the figure ten will also gain in significance, as, for the first time in
BMW history, a series-production saloon car is to be powered by a
ten-cylinder internal combustion engine, the sound and power of which is closely related to the engine currently providing monstrous power to the
BMW Williams Formula 1 racing car, without a doubt the most powerful car
on the starting grid.

The engine powering the BMW Concept M5 should be in a position to mobilise the enormous power reserves required to assist this unique sports saloon car in achieving a remarkable driving performance. Engineers at
BMW M envisage the car accelerating from 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62 mph) over the classic distance in well under 5 seconds, the 200 km/h mark being reached in just 13 seconds.

It is not power alone that makes an M power unit so unique.
The technology of this newly-developed ten-cylinder engine should not be perceivable by single-dimensional power or sheer performance alone, but first and foremost by the method of achieving such performance. M power featured in the new BMW Concept M5 will once again rise to the occasion and become a perfect example of what is technically feasible and appropriate.

This is evident not only in the extremely appealing design of a BMW high-performance engine. Needless to say, this specially developed BMW M engine incorporates typical features such as high-pressure VANOS, individual throttle butterflies, engine electronics designed by our own engineers and based on knowledge gained from Formula 1 racing as well as traverse force-regulated oil supply.

--

Big pictures on the Concept car

http://www.uploadit.org/ascariss/bmw_m5_new_02.jpg
http://www.uploadit.org/ascariss/bmw_m5_new_03.jpg
http://www.uploadit.org/ascariss/bmw_m5_new_04.jpg
http://www.uploadit.org/ascariss/bmw_m5_new_05.jpg
http://www.uploadit.org/ascariss/bmw_m5_new_06.jpg

"only" 500hp and only SMG, so sad I really love manualgearboxes. Say it isnt true ....
Old 03-02-2004, 06:21 AM   #2
altezza
Regular User

Thanks for the info, Zafiro!
and welcome to JW
Old 03-02-2004, 06:25 AM   #3
interceptor_01

Originally Posted by altezza
Thanks for the info, Zafiro!
and welcome to JW
thank you!
Old 03-02-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
yg60m
Regular User

Thanks for these informations , i was curious of the figures, 5.0 or 5.5, 500 or 550 bhp ... the torque is the same as the older M5 so i don't know how they will reach 200 km/h in 13 s, it's almost the F40 time !!!!!

ps : welcome onboard Zafiro.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:40 AM   #5
interceptor_01

Originally Posted by yg60m
Thanks for these informations , i was curious of the figures, 5.0 or 5.5, 500 or 550 bhp ... the torque is the same as the older M5 so i don't know how they will reach 200 km/h in 13 s, it's almost the F40 time !!!!!

ps : welcome onboard Zafiro.
"maximum torque of at least 500 Nm" , Im expecting 550Nm, well i hope so..

and thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
cho_888
Regular User

thats real cool, i want one! thats on powerful sedan, do you think it will change much when the production model is released.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
interceptor_01

Originally Posted by cho_888
thats real cool, i want one! thats on powerful sedan, do you think it will change much when the production model is released.
I'm sure it will get a little spoiler on the trunk, we have already seen it on prototypes. And also BMW M3 concept didn't have spoiler too, but prodution version had it.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:23 AM   #8
jon_s
Regular User

Hahaha, that is a good bit of information! Thankyou!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #9
interceptor_01

This sounds like fun "V10 up to 9.000 is to be stable /min" :shock:
Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 AM   #10
PATo355
Regular User

Thx for the information Zafiro , very complete , interesting posts for a newbie , and please update your profile and get an avatar i bet you will be a regular here

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
sentra_dude

Cool, thanx for the info Zafiro.

Can't wait for that car to come out and take back it's crown, hehe. 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:31 AM   #12
kteo2003
Regular User

if they maneged a 5.lt engine to rave till 9000 well i think there is nothing else to say....
kteo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 PM   #13
coombsie66
Regular User

^^ That aint the impressive thing, its retaining the superb torque spread al the way from low down, to the red line. And making a reliable engine that makes it so amazing!
I presume this one has a 7 speed SMG due to this engine being more revvy than the old one?
No manual then!? Thats a shame, and i think a few people bought the current M5 over the E55 due to the option of a manual box. It was certainly a strongly contributing factor for my dad.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
Tomerville
Regular User

Thats a shame, and i think a few people bought the current M5 over the E55 due to the option of a manual box. It was certainly a strongly contributing factor for my dad.
Very True. Is it an SMG a la BMW? or will it be a true SMG found in BTCC cars and the TVR T440R which has a clutch pedal you use on down-shifts and starts? The BMW SMG is just a modified automatic. er, manumatic.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:07 PM   #15
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by coombsie66
^^ That aint the impressive thing, its retaining the superb torque spread al the way from low down, to the red line. And making a reliable engine that makes it so amazing!

Oooooooooooooooh YES! Spot on. Not that you ever are not

7 gear...blimey! Soon be having enough gears to rival big rigs and trucks!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote