Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Default Using AAA for free towing when buying a vehicle

Starting to look for any deals on a nice motorcycle and was wondering if I would be able to use my 100 miles of free towing AAA service to transport a motorcycle with no tags to my house.

I have a feeling AAA doesn't tell their customers can do this, but I had never had issues with getting AAA to tow a car that wasn't owned by the AAA member.. just don't know if they will say something when/if they notice that the bike doesn't have any tags.

Anyone ever try to do this?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

I do know that people around here are "running out of gas" on the road, and getting a "free" gallon of gas .... and repeating the step for a few extra gallons a day/week/ month....

I say "free" because that affects everybody's rates :-\

You could call your agent, and see what he has to say... towing/transporting 100 miles is pretty significant tho.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Haha.. wow, those people must have a lot of time to take advantage of AAA like that.

The 100 mile towing service is what we pay for.. I'm pretty sure if I call an agent and tell them exactly what I want to do, they will say no.. They won't even let you use the service unless your name is on the member ship account (although I've towed numerous vehicles and I'm not listed).

I have a feeling I won't have any problems, especially if I find some plates to slap on the bike..

Just wondering if anyone has done it.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yeah, as long as you are there in person, they should not have any problems with this. They just need someone to sign off on it.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
79TA
Regular User

Yea, when I picked up my fox body last march, it wasn't in running condition so I just called AAA. They really didn't care so much about the car, just so long as I was an actual member etc.

You should be onsite with the car though; you can't just blatantly use them as a retrieval service. Of course, you should look at the bike yourself before buying so it doesn't seem like it'd be an issue.

My suggestion is to find a buddy with a pickup or trailer of some sort and then pay for gas and supper.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Good to hear it is exactly as I thought. I hope to find something close by, but nice to know I won't have to shell out extra doe for shipping as I am out spend the least amount of money to get me riding on two wheels.