Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 01-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
gobs3z
Regular User

Default Microsoft Flight Simulator X (pics)

Simply amazing!! i'm sure the version after this one will be impossible to distinguish from reality.
From gamespy.com

Microsoft Game Studios' Flight Simulator series has been around for over 20 years now, longer than just about any other PC game. How has the game managed to survive so long? By adapting and changing with the times. When games moved from DOS to the Windows environment, Flight Simulator was right there, and was even one of the benchmarks in determining whether or not a PC was compatible with Windows. In recent years, however, all but the most hardcore fans have slowly been abandoning the friendly skies in favor of other types of games. As gamers focus more and more on intense first-person shooters and elaborate RTS titles, it's once again time for the series to adapt to the new PC gaming environment. With Flight Simulator X, Microsoft is making a lot of improvements in an effort to bring both old and new fans into the mix.

From the moment our demo loaded, it instantly became clear that this isn't going to be your father's Flight Simulator. The demo took place in an eye-popping tropical paradise that featured sandy beaches, lush foliage, and crystal clear waters. One could seemingly see miles into the distance with perfect clarity, and there wasn't a bit of pop-in throughout the demo. Michael Gilbert, the game's Program Manager, zoomed in on the helicopter we'd be flying in to show off the stunning lighting engine. As he rotated the camera around the chopper, you could see reflections off of the windows, and there was even a bit of color change depending on the angle the fuselage was viewed from. There's no denying that this will be one of the best looking PC games ever released.

The first thing that we noticed when Michael took off was the fact that he was actually using an Xbox 360 controller (a PC-compatible USB version has been available for a few months now),rather than the joystick that many people prefer. He confessed that while he was a longtime joystick user, the 360 controller just felt more natural and made precise controls a bit easier. While flying around, he mentioned that while the previous games featured unrealistically sterile environments, the processing power found in today's high-end PCs makes it possible for the developers to create a living, breathing world. Flocks of birds flew through the air, dolphins frolicked in the surf, and cars drove down the roads we cruised over. All of it contributed to making the game much more immersive than its predecessors.

One of the biggest changes to this iteration of the series is the addition of structured gameplay. The previous games merely gave you a huge world to explore and fly around, but many gamers felt like they would be better served with some sort of direction. With that in mind, the team designed a number of missions, including point-to-point objectives and skill-based flying (barrel rolls, anyone?). Of course, you can still leisurely fly around the world if you'd prefer that to ferrying passengers or cargo around. We were briefly told that the online multiplayer game had been reworked, as well, but Microsoft declined to elaborate for now.

Thanks to the fact that the game will be released only on DVD (rather than the 4+ CD-ROM releases of the past), the developers were able to make everything up to 16 times more detailed this time around. You'll once again be able to fly anywhere in the world, landing at any of the over 24,000 airports on the seven continents. Using an advanced GPS technology, there are authentic road layouts, and you'll actually be able to fly over your hometown and navigate by the streets below. Flight Simulator X will feature approximately 24 real-life aircraft, including an Ultralite for those gamers who don't want to deal with dozens of dials and knobs.

There's no denying that Flight Simulator X is going to be one of the best looking games the PC has ever seen, but it's nice to see that Microsoft has done more than just slap a fresh coat of paint onto the series. From creating a deeply immersive world to providing more structured gameplay elements, they've done a lot to ensure that there will be something for everyone.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/flight-simu.../679528p1.html

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
a007apl
Regular User

Microsoft Flight Simulator series its good but Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator series its 100% better 8)
a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
sentra_dude

Definitely looking forward to this, although my computer will probably not be able to handle that...

Flight Sim 9 is really great...in some areas its amazingly close to real-life, so this one should be even better.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
DeMoN
Regular User

I like fighter planes only.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
Fleischmann
Regular User

Microsoft Flight Simulator was the first ever game I got for my PC, I could spend hours flying a learjet along the coast. I agree though, it would be more interesting if there were any modern fighter planes, but I bet the wyll be downloadable from various sites after the premiere.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
SFDMALEX
Regular User

You fellas mean some of this?

Well we already got that
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
sentra_dude

Hey SFDMALEX, whatever happened to that bet/flight you were going to do in a Cessna...land it the first time you flew it based off of FS and all? Did you ever go through with that?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
ARMAN
Regular User

I got always bored of it cause its too much time just waisted imo comparing to racing games And anyway I ilways crashed in the ground trying to make some great flips

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Hey SFDMALEX, whatever happened to that bet/flight you were going to do in a Cessna...land it the first time you flew it based off of FS and all? Did you ever go through with that?
My friend doesnt like the conditions of the runway. Says they are not doing a good job of clearning the snow.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote