Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1
subzero 20 29.85%
cool 27 40.30%
uncool 15 22.39%
seriously uncool 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #31
Vansquish
Regular User

Not as good-looking as the other C6 Vettes. Yes it will be extremely fast, but it's still not going to have the same sort of panache and cachet that other similarly-performing vehicles (price notwithstanding). The rear lip spoiler is awful, the window on the bonnet is absolutely tasteless as are the new, enlarged vents behind the front wheels, and the interior doesn't look any more special than the standard 'Vette's. I would love to love this car, but I can't bear to think of doing so. Seriously Uncool, as it is the American iteration of the Veyron...the ultimate pissing contest...

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #32
eduardo3x
Regular User

V8 is Incredible!!!
eduardo3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #33
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish View Post
Not as good-looking as the other C6 Vettes. Yes it will be extremely fast, but it's still not going to have the same sort of panache and cachet that other similarly-performing vehicles (price notwithstanding). The rear lip spoiler is awful, the window on the bonnet is absolutely tasteless as are the new, enlarged vents behind the front wheels, and the interior doesn't look any more special than the standard 'Vette's. I would love to love this car, but I can't bear to think of doing so. Seriously Uncool, as it is the American iteration of the Veyron...the ultimate pissing contest...
Looks are all subjective. To me the C6 base coupe is bland and broing looikgn and the stock wheels are faceless.

The C6 Z and the ZR1 rear spoilers are great looking and very functional, not unlikeother marques spoilers.

The fender gills are a key component of Vette styling as have fender vents/coves been on other marques - again, no issues there.

How is the hood window tasteless? If thi sis true then the Carrera GT mesh, the engine cover windows of countless other mid-eniged cars and the engine window on the Testa Rossa were also tasteless.

ALl subjective opinions on a car you either like or dislike.

Take the 550/575 - a shape I love and the 599 a shape I detest - all a matter of taste
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #34
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Hairdresser's Z06......
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #35
graywolf624
Regular User

To me the C6 base coupe is bland and broing looikgn and the stock wheels are faceless.
Which Base wheels? Remember the base wheels changed in 08 significantly.

And let he who doesn't drive an ugly notch back with flip up headlights throw the first stone
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #36
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex View Post
Hairdresser's Z06......
For that it would need to be automatic, slower, with less power and have skinny wheels... like a BMW.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #37
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
Which Base wheels? Remember the base wheels changed in 08 significantly.

And let he who doesn't drive an ugly notch back with flip up headlights throw the first stone
To me the C5 base coupe is boring and bland lookign and the base wheels are faceless...

I had this opinion the day I saw the C5 coupe at the autoshow debut. Reminds me of the NSX - too clinical from any angle.

Its just a matter of taste
Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #38
graywolf624
Regular User

Taste? Who said anything about taste? I drive a Trans Am that vaguely resembles the old batmobile... I don't think taste ever factored in
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #39
Mattk
Regular User

It looks ugly, therefore looks uncool. It may drive well and have lots of space, but if I'm spending money on a car, I want it to look good from the outside.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #40
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Looks are all subjective. To me the C6 base coupe is bland and broing looikgn and the stock wheels are faceless.

The C6 Z and the ZR1 rear spoilers are great looking and very functional, not unlikeother marques spoilers.

The fender gills are a key component of Vette styling as have fender vents/coves been on other marques - again, no issues there.

How is the hood window tasteless? If thi sis true then the Carrera GT mesh, the engine cover windows of countless other mid-eniged cars and the engine window on the Testa Rossa were also tasteless.

ALl subjective opinions on a car you either like or dislike.

Take the 550/575 - a shape I love and the 599 a shape I detest - all a matter of taste
I'm not trying to pick a fight RC, and I absolutely agree, that everyone should be allowed their own opinion and so forth, but the ZR1 is just not as tastefully-styled as the Z06, or the standard Vette (about which I agree as being somewhat mundane, at least the ZR1 cannot be accused of THAT hehe). I rather like the wheels on the ZR1, and the fact that it looks lower, wider, and meaner even than the significantly low, wide and mean-looking Z06. However, the ZR1 lip spoiler is, to me at least, quite unnattractive. It looks fairly tacked-on compared to even the Z06. It may well be beautifully functional, but I think that even a plain gurney flap would look better than the tri-level arrangement on the ZR1. It looks like an afterthought to me even if it isn't. As far as the gills, yes, they are also necessary, but they look a bit too flashy to me, too much like an afterthought as well. I imagine that the job of extracting air from the engine compartment could've been as well accomplished by a set of vents that were more fluidly integrated into the fenders, and the same goes for the brake-cooling ducts ahead of the rear wheels, they look a bit like afterthoughts.

As for the hood window, again, it looks like an afterthought, a window to show how macho the car is without being there for any true performance-oriented purpose. The clear hood scoop on various Ferraris over the years have been a means to channel air to the intake trumpets for the engine. The CGT mesh is again multi-purpose, as it provides cooling to the engine as well as providing a view of an attractively-styled set of airboxes and engine components. OK, some of the cars out there that have windows to their engine compartments have them for the same reason as the ZR1 (Gallardo, etc...), namely to show off the attractive engine that lies beneath. The ZR1's is more like a porthole though, not a display case for the greater part of the engine, nor of anything more interesting than the plastic top for a supercharger intake, and that is why it's tasteless. It performs no real function, and could have shown something much more interesting, and it could have been integrated more smoothely and fully than what is on the ZR1.

I guess what I'm saying is that GM had a great place to start, with the Z06, and could certainly have put together a more cohesive and attractive package. For instance, imagine some more Stingray-inspired styling queues, or simply gone for something that had a larger power dome with a larger Naca intake duct, and a more smoothly-integrated gurney flap could've gone on the rear. They could even have gone for something more along the lines of the C6R and the car could've looked quite a bit better as a result.

As for the 550/575 vs. the 599GTB, I think I'm in your camp there. I'm not a huge fan of the 599GTB's styling. It's nowhere near as pretty as the 550/575 were. Sometimes newer isn't better....

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote