Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 03-28-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default How does this set-up sound to you guys?

I have been considering getting an SLR and have looked over what people have in the other posts.

This is the camera and lens that I have narrowed down to:

Camera: Nikon D50 body
--> Cheapest DSLR from Nikon or Canon on the market today
--> I want to use the money saved here on the lens instead

Lens: Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18 - 200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR
--> Lens has real good range and is nice in that I can have one lens that meets most of my requirements without too many negatives.
--> ED quality lens with Vibration Reduction

Some info on the lens here: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Well what will this be used for? Going by my 2005 experience:
- 2 car shows
- 3 auto races
- About 3-4 trips to state parks like Yosemite, other countryside photography

I believe the setup will retail for about $1400 for both lens and camera

I am ambivalent between Canon or Nikon. I want a camera and lens kit that is able to focus quickly on racecars zooming past without the use of tripods (if I can avoid it). But the lens should be also good for still photography as well.

Opinions?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

i dont know a lot about the nikon offerings... but the range of the lens you speak of is massive!

18-200... there may be some "tunneling" near 18mm, and soft; and soft towared 200mm... but that is something you'll find out specifically when shooting... what settings make for good shots etc.

one key thing is that the lens would virtually never need to be changed! that has its own benefits

it sounds like it isn't a bad quality lens at all... and you will absolutely LOVE VR... i have only tested it so far... but good god, its magic

my own opinion.... go for it
Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
ae86_16v
Regular User

I wish I could afford that lens, but it is just too expensive. Heard that there is a massive wait list for that lens though.

But that sounds like a cool set up, and definitely you pretty much never will have to change the lens.

I just picked up the D50 myself and still trying to get familiar with it.

Goodluck!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

18-200mm lens, god damn! I havent heard anything about that lens but I'm sure the quality is good. Definitely a good idea to go with the D50 and spend the rest of your money for a good lens, you should be good for a very long time with that setup.

After reading that article that you posted I think I might have to save up for one of these..
Old 03-29-2006, 12:39 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nikkor_18200VR.shtml

"...we found ourselves being able to hand hold and use the lens at shutter speeds about four stops lower than with lenses without the VR option, (1/8 sec at 200mm focal range)."

:shock:
Old 03-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

Yeah the damn lens is backordered now ... long waiting list. I guess I have to be patient and wait for it to appear on the market. The reviews seem pretty good. I would spend the $$ on the lens than on the camera where most of the features wouldnt be used much any way.

As I know very little about photography, I wanted to make sure that with my requirements for shootings still objects as well as race cars, I wouldnt be making a mistake. That's why I put to you enthusiasts

When I went to Ritz Camera to check out the camera, I was asking him how the Canon and Nikon Lens compare - he said that the Canon L lenses and Nikon ED lenses are very similar in quality. Does this seem right to you? Any of you have both Canon and Nikon?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 03-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
Zot09
Regular User

You have one big flaw in your list; you're not buying a Canon haha don't listen to my biased opinions. Wish I could help, but I don't have much experience with Nikons, best of luck!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:22 AM   #8
cooperluke
Regular User

I don't know that lens, but I also have, and had Nikons and they are bulletproof!!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zot09
You have one big flaw in your list; you're not buying a Canon haha don't listen to my biased opinions. Wish I could help, but I don't have much experience with Nikons, best of luck!

Old 03-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

well, the L series lenses seem to be the god of canon lenses; with UD glass elements... and will take some time for me to save up for damn, some of the lenses i feel i "need" cost a lot more then the camera body did
Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #11
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
well, the L series lenses seem to be the god of canon lenses; with UD glass elements... and will take some time for me to save up for damn, some of the lenses i feel i "need" cost a lot more then the camera body did
I agree some of these 2.8 aperture lenses with ED/L designation cost like $1500-$5000 ... mega money :shock:

Unless a miracle happens and I actually become good photographer there is no way in hell I will spend so much on a lens

Old 03-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I think you've picked out a great all around setup for the money. Digital has taken Photography to the masses, I am sure you will be extremely pleased with this purchase.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
DeMoN
Regular User

shiet over 1000 us $ for that!

What is a good camera for less than 800? and also, wtf is SLR?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:03 AM   #14
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ D50 w/ Kit Lens (18-55mm ED AF-S f/3.5 - 5.6g) - Cost me $600 @ BeachCamera.com

SLR = Single-Lens Reflex
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote