Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Default Question for laywers or persons familiar with law

Let's say a person got into a car accident. It wasn't his/her fault (guy hit the car from behind). The person that got hit has neck pain, but no fracture. Could the person with the neck injury get some money from the insurance company? For me it would seem only fair, as the person has to live with the neck pain, and it makes his/her job harder. What do you guys know about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
antonioledesma
Regular User

First... maybe you need to ask someone who knows laws in Canada (of course).
Here in my country you must pay a bail for any injuries and the bail or fine goes for something like this:
-for injuries that heal in less than 15 days
-for those that heal in more than 15 days
- permanent injuries or scars in the face,
-injuries that don't allow the person to perform some jobs,
- etc.

As far as I know, you can sue the hitter for some money for those injuries, but as always you must know what you're doing.

I'm supposing someone you know was the evildoer, if not the one hitted. Neck pains can dissapear forever or stay hidden until another hit, accident, etc. brings them. I've hitted and been hitted, and I get neck pains only when I fall down playing soccer

hope no one of your loved ones is hurt
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Thanks alot for your help. It is someone very close to me that was the victim of the accident and he/her has frequent neck pain from the accident .
Old 07-24-2004, 12:43 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Stop wondering and retain the services of a personal injury lawyer...

Simple as that.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 03:04 AM   #5
Toronto
Regular User

if your neck hurts you could get money i know that, one of my friends got into a car accident and hurt is leg (not broken) and he got money plus someone to clean up his house for 3 weeks because he was "un-able to do so"
Old 07-24-2004, 07:38 AM   #6
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Stop wondering and retain the services of a personal injury lawyer...

Simple as that.
I am sure there are some scum of the earth, I mean no win no fee PI lawyers in Canada.

In principle I think there may be grounds. Unfortunately it is never as simple as that though. Seek professional help, also, the quicker you do it the better.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
BADMIHAI
Regular User

scumbags that get huge amounts of money for minor injuries.

But that's the thing. He/she is in constant pain from the injury. It's not like he/she was just like before the accident (in which case it would seem absurd to ask for money IMO). To all the American guys: no medical bills were required to be paid, since this is Canada and healthcare is free. I will go with RC's idea and just phone up a professional. Thanks for your help, guys!
Old 07-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Quote:

scumbags that get huge amounts of money for minor injuries.

But that's the thing. He/she is in constant pain from the injury. It's not like he/she was just like before the accident (in which case it would seem absurd to ask for money IMO). To all the American guys: no medical bills were required to be paid, since this is Canada and healthcare is free. I will go with RC's idea and just phone up a professional. Thanks for your help, guys!
i know in America, there is something called the Statute of limiations. what that basically means is that if you wait too long, its null and void from prosocution... except when it comes to taxes of course lol... that is generally held at 7 years time, and it seems like "he/she" was in the accident more recently