Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 09-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Default Xbox360 to support 1080p VIA SOFTWARE UPDATE!

Well this is great news for all you Xbox360 owners with a 1080p TV and bad news for all of yall Playstation and I suppose Nintendo fanboys.

Also the price for the external HD-DVD player for the 360 will be a pocket cleaning $170 USD!!! And its not very slim at all if you have seen video some guy took of it next to the 360 at some very big Tech show the past week.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4237

1080p support announced for XBOX 360 at Tokyo Game Show - dashboard update coming this year

2Old2Play has posted an article with some early coverage from the 2006 Tokyo Game Show. According to an announcement made early this morning, Microsoft's XBOX 360 game console will receive a dashboard update this year to enable 1080p support.

The forthcoming dashboard update will enable support for 1080p (1920x1080) resolution; however, the current lack of an HDMI cable for the XBOX 360 means this resolution will only be supported over component and VGA. Existing games and DVDs will be able to take advantage of this resolution through the upscaling feature of the XBOX 360, but no "native 1080p content" has been prepared for release as of yet.

With the advent of the HD DVD add-on drive and the rumors of a new XBOX 360 with an internal HD DVD drive, the update to include 1080p support may be part of the "surprise" Microsoft claimed was in store to counter Sony's PlayStation 3, scheduled to launch in Japan on November 11 (November 17 for North America).
Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

That's good news, although I don't think I'm going to get an Xbox 360 till next year. Maybe they'll have somesort of bundle sale, or a new spec of Xbox 360 out then.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
That's good news, although I don't think I'm going to get an Xbox 360 till next year. Maybe they'll have somesort of bundle sale, or a new spec of Xbox 360 out then.
Yeah well I have been hearing rurmors of the 360 coming with a built in HD DVD drive for cheaper than the current 360's. I also have heard of the Barebone version of the 360 which I think is like 50 bucks cheaper but you have to assemble everything yourself.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
evoWalo
Regular User

According to ATI's hw engineers the 360 really had 1080p hw support since the beginning. Guess Microsoft got around to updating their drivers.

With 12% HD display penetration right now I dont see the High Def video to be a deciding factor on who'll win. Only Nintendo has the cheapest console at below $250. Only Nintendo is making a profit on each hardware product sold. Both Microsoft & Sony are losing money on each console sold and they're both very expensive with Sony toping it off at $500-600.

Content & innovation are key. Pretty graphics gets tired after awhile