Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
komotar
Regular User

Default Photoshoot, Seat Leon FR and Renault Megane RS

Ok, here's the catch ...
... both cars have a diesel engine. The Leon had 170 and megane has 175 hp.
The difference between the engines is huuge, as is the difference with the cars all together.
The megan's engine is IMO better, but not the more exciting of the two. It's more refined, it runs smoother, is easier to live with. But there is a big downside to the whole thing. The thing is, that I have also tested the laguna and the espace with the same engine. It blend's excellently with those cars, because it's just so well behaved. The turbo starts sppining very early, well below 2000rpm and it pulls strongly untill almost 5000 rpm. Well it does ease off a bit at 4200-4300, but not much. But all the speed gaining is done with such ease and refinment, that, well, it's just borring. That's too bad, because the megane RS is not borring when you look at it, or when you drive it. They should have done something to the engine, to make it a little bit more edgier. And the car itself? Well, from the outside it looks really agressive and even cool, which is a strange thing to say about the megane ...
It's a shame, that the whole visual drama doesn't continue on the inside. Well, except the pedals and the steering wheel, everything else is just so bland, and the driver could easily forget that he is sitting in an RS if it weren't for the excellent recaro seats! The body is firmly held in the right place the whole time.
And the suspension and all the thing's you can't see? The really important bits? Well, I can safley say that this car is a great blend between comfort and sporty character. It's a bit soft, but is still hadles very well. There is a surprising amount of grip, tha back end is very light, the car gave me oversteer on demand ... The brakes work very well, almost fade free.... but I must admit I didn't try very hard.
And the minuses? Well, first off, the gear stick travels like half a mile, before it get's into another gear, the steering is soooo fucking soft and too light, but when pushing, you adapt very quickly and the thing that irritated the hell out of me is tha fact that if you turn off the stability control (which I do alot), the car, or should I say Renault turns it back on when the driver reaches 50 km/h (30 mp/h). And this is just STUPID. It's an idiotic and forced compromise.
All in all, I think it's a good car, not because of the sporty part, but because it put's sporty and really, really comfortable in the same sentence. It's a car for a man (or a woman), that want's to save fuel and is at the same time not ready to make the commitment to go for the hardcore 230 or so hp petrol version. You could easily have an average of just 7l per 100 km, but of you like to also drive hard, you'll still stay below 9l which is a great thing.

ok, on to the leon, and I'll make it short. It's harder, much sportier than the megane and it really is a hot hatch even if with the diesel engine. The engine is a bit of a hooligan. It's oldschool, a bit rough around the edges and it makes the car go like a rocket. The trouble is, that there isn't much going on untill you pass 2000 rpm, which makes it a bit of a pain to drive it around the city. All the torque is available so late in the game, that I stalled it a couple of times, and if you can doodle around in almost every diesel in second gear at pedestrian speed, you just can't do this in this car with thise engine ...
On the outside, the car looks very good with thie white colour, I think it's the best colour for this car imo. Insid the drama continues. The seats really deserve the word bucket, the steering wheel is chunky and sporty as hell. It sits well in the hand, the gearstick is precise, but the shape is just aquard and not ergonomical at all. The plastics in the cabin are still the weakes point of this cars interior.
On the road the car is swift and very happy to play along no matter what the speed is. The turn-in is good, the car reacty fast to driver's input's. It's a fun car to be in first of all because it's so willing to go fast. The power delivery is always there, well when at least you reach that 2000 and something rpm's.
The downsides? Well, not many. The plastics inside, and that's about it ...oh well to be honnest, it's still a bit boring and, I guess it comes with the VW territory
This car show's that a diesel can work in hot hatch territory, it's not a screamer like the petrol engines it doesn't rev but it's effective and I can undrstand why people would buy one. I on the other hand would still pick the petrol, when talking about hot hatches or any sports cars ...

forst the megane pics. I'm quite pround of the first ones. It was -8 deg C and it took me almost an hour to make them. I think some of them are very good...

and the leon pics ...
the panning's are not good at all, it was also cold like hell, the wind was blowing an it was getting dark, so I made all of them in about 5 minutes. I just wanted to get in the warm car again :blush:

oh, and I was playing just a bit in the photoshop with two of the pics, the dead centre front and back pics of the leon ...(the 4th and 5th pic) the windsheeld and the back window are totaly black, it doesn't lookg good, but I saved the pics and put them on the cd before I wen't home ... when they will be posted together with the test on our site, they will be normal, because it doesn't look good this way ...
hope you like them ....

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

The first batch of frosty pics look totally great! I wonder if a red or any other bright colored car would have improved them, but I doubt!

Thanks for the report and the pics!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Excellent shoot! Those are two cars I wish we had in America. I think if VW had the reputation it did in Europe (stodgy, boring - GTI aside) they would import Seat to brighten things up a bit, but definitely not Skoda.....
Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Smartdriver
Regular User

Another awesome work Komotar!
I really love your shots!

www.italiansupercar.net --- My first website about modern and classic supercars
www.smartdriver.it --- My Car Enthusiast website about Smart
Smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
silentm
Regular User

wow the first batch of shots is just pure excellence. very elegant and crisp!

nice writeup too, i enjoyed reading it
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote