Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
mattgk
Regular User

Default My new 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4 Door MT

Picked the little grey guy up on August 29th.

It's a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S (AKA Golf) 4 Door with Manual Tranny in United Grey Metallic with the Art Grey interior. Options are the Electronic Stablitization Program, floor mats, and the 16" Magny Cours Alloys. Got a decent deal since the 2008 still has the 4/50,000 warranty and the 2009 goes to 3/36,000. The 2009 also does not have a manual available in the 4-door.

Really loving it - drives like a dream and is a ton better built than the 2004 Saturn I traded in. So far, average MPG over 357 miles is 26.73 MPG, good for mixed driving.

Proof of ownership:

These were taken near Pewaukee Lake in Pewaukee, WI

These were taken on the site of the former Lynndale Farms Raceway in Pewuakee, WI.

mattgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
zenvar
Regular User

Nice car! Wish I could afford a decent car!
zenvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
silentm
Regular User

wow this is a surprise i didn't think these actually sell in the US

congrats on the car i hope it will be good to you!
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Very nice. Everytime I see any of the "newer" generation Golf, I realise just how small, cramped and rinkydink the original Golf I was - it seems to continue growing into relatively bigger car each year.

Its almost as if the Golf/Jetta has become the Passat, and the Polo has become the Golf.

Interesting that even VW is dropping back to 3/36,000 for the warranty.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
79TA
Regular User

Looks like a fun little car, enjoy!
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
mattgk
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Very nice. Everytime I see any of the "newer" generation Golf, I realise just how small, cramped and rinkydink the original Golf I was - it seems to continue growing into relatively bigger car each year.

Its almost as if the Golf/Jetta has become the Passat, and the Polo has become the Golf.

Interesting that even VW is dropping back to 3/36,000 for the warranty.
I think a lot of cars are that way now - the Civic is now the size of the 80's Accord, etc... I know my uncle had a 70's VW Rabbit, but I was too small to remember being in it.

This is my first real VW Experience . I did drive a mk IV Jetta with my wife but we bought a Mitsubishi Mirage instead (cheaper). I also had a totally dreadful MK II Jetta as a loaner when my Altima was being repaired, but that was a beater trade and I figured they weren't all that horrible. Needless to say, the Mk V Rabbit/Golf is quite a nice machine.

What I can't believe is how roomy it is despite the size. In theory I have less legroom than my Saturn did but where the Saturn I had to drive with the seat completely all the way back, in the Rabbit I actually have to move it forward quite a bit but still am comfortable. Amazing.

This is also the first car I've had where the OEM tires are probably not rubbish for the car but we'll see how they hold up in the Wisconsin snow - I'm sure I'll enjoy stability control, since I loved having ABS/TC on my Saturn.

Odometer has crossed 1,000 miles now and mileage is still averaging 26.80, which is about where the EPA says it should be in mixed driving.

I am surprised VW is going to 3/36 (not sure if they are keeping the 5/60 powertrain or if that drops too) since I would think that the 4/50 would be incremental for cost but bring more buyers into the showroom.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
sprakzilla
Regular User

i got the 2007 city golf and the thing is a lemon. i wonder how well the rabbit will stand.
sprakzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
mattgk
Regular User

Originally Posted by sprakzilla View Post
i got the 2007 city golf and the thing is a lemon. i wonder how well the rabbit will stand.
Consumer Reports recommends the 2008 VW Rabbit, which is good. The reliability ratings are above average, also good.

My understanding is that the City Golf is the MK IV Golf, the Rabbit in the US is the MK V Golf. Hopefully since the MK V is now 5 years into production (from 2003) the major bugs were worked out. I wouldn't have wanted a MK IV since those had lackluster reliability.

Either way, the factory warranty should last me as long as I have the car I drive about 10-12K miles a year and usually only keep a car about four years anyhow.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
MUS911
Regular User

congrats...
i have a very pleasing experience with VW
Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
Mattk
Regular User

My father considered purchasing the Mark V Golf a few years back but settled on the Mazda 3. It was cheaper, and ran on regular unleaded.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
dfarah
Regular User

Originally Posted by mattgk View Post
Picked the little grey guy up on August 29th.

It's a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S (AKA Golf) 4 Door with Manual Tranny in United Grey Metallic with the Art Grey interior. Options are the Electronic Stablitization Program, vw parts like floor mats, and the 16" Magny Cours Alloys. Got a decent deal since the 2008 still has the 4/50,000 warranty and the 2009 goes to 3/36,000. The 2009 also does not have a manual available in the 4-door.

Really loving it - drives like a dream and is a ton better built than the 2004 Saturn I traded in. So far, average MPG over 357 miles is 26.73 MPG, good for mixed driving.

Proof of ownership:

These were taken near Pewaukee Lake in Pewaukee, WI

These were taken on the site of the former Lynndale Farms Raceway in Pewuakee, WI.
This is my friend's target car now. He is still makng up his mind for he is also planning to get the subzero.

Last edited by dfarah; 07-27-2009 at 08:58 PM.
dfarah is offline   Reply With Quote