Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 09-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
pagani
Regular User

Default Chevrolet camaro zl1

The special one off the camaro zl1.
8)
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Re: Chevrolet camaro zl1

Originally Posted by pagani
The special one off the camaro zl1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeEphpnZcvE
8)
A JW member drove a ZL-1 Camaro some time back Let's see if Gray posts here about his experience
Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
PaulGT2164
Regular User

we have a customer who has a few original 69 ZL-1s

They were a dealer modified (under the COPO system) camaro that was powered by a 425+ hp 427 with aluminum heads. It also had the first time GM had produced a aluminum block as well. Its rumored that they actually made around 500hp. The original ZL1s were produced for public consumption with the intent that they would be used in the NHRA super stock drag class. They had 4.10 gears, and heavy duty suspension (F41) The amazing thing was the 4 speed cars have been documented to run 11.6X in the quarter with slicks and headers! It was the fastest production car chevy made for decades after it was available. These cars i believe started life as a SS 396 cars. The made a total of 69 of these cars.

Our customer has two, one is a all original never touched "survivor" that has 73XX miles on it! the other has been restored. Both are 4 speeds.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
graywolf624
Regular User

Ahh the prototype, later to be produced in limited 100k apiece quantities by gmmg. Very few made. Many of them were ls6 engined stage 1s. Others were 427 C5r block(the engine alone cost 20k) Stage 3s. I drove one of the cars a few years back and road in one of the other prototypes. The power is unreal.

Brakes were Brembo with Penske shocks all around. Lowering springs, better frame bracing, a huge ass exhaust (Coincidentally the one I have now bought and placed on my trans am). Probably the most raw insane car Ive ever been in, though crossing railroad tracks about knocked your freakin teeth out. In addition to the go fast goodies the cars got custom paint jobs and new wheels (I have a spare set of wheels that were taken off one of the cars that became a zl1. Bought them from the owner of GMMG, Matt Murphy, about 6 years ago.)