Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #16
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Hmm... if I am not mistaken Hennessey already showed his cars are faster than the Veyron in a back to back test...
they did, but that was with heaters on tires and ice on the coolers seconds before the run while Veyron was not specialy prepared
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by turpija View Post
they did, but that was with heaters on tires and ice on the coolers seconds before the run while Veyron was not specialy prepared
19-20 seconds to 200 mph for the car and driver 0-200-0 tests was done tire warmer, and ice free.

The veyron runs to 200 mph in 24 seconds.

the Viper also has a much more lasting transmission when "only" at 1100 hp.

Additionally, the 950 hp Ford GT ran 19 seconds in the same conditions
Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
Spiffu
Regular User

Lets not forget the veyron is hauling a thousand more pounds on average than the cars it's running against.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #19
eunos94
Regular User

Plenty of cars are faster. Heck look at top fuel dragsters. The Hennessy is faster than the Veyron one run at a time and usually takes a few attempts to do it all the while leaving a trail of broken parts in it's wake. The Veyrons party trick isn't it's speed. It's that it can attain those speeds time after time with out breaking all while keeping the driver air conditioned, entertained with an excellant audio system sitting in the absolute lap of luxury. Heck you could even take a hand off the wheel and place a non chalant phone call all at 250+ mph.

That my freinds is what makes it such a fabulous vehicle perhaps even the finest sporting luxury car ever produced. The Concorde of the super car world.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 AM   #20
Spiffu
Regular User

That and the veyron doesn't feel like it's flying apart at those speeds. As people have atested, 250mph feels like 70 in the veyron.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #21
pagani
Regular User

The only production car that comes close to the veyron i therms of engineering and feel is i guess the r35 gtr
And they failed.
1450HP Hennessey Viper Blows Tranney on Record At
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
That and the veyron doesn't feel like it's flying apart at those speeds. As people have atested, 250mph feels like 70 in the veyron.
Lets be real though - how many owners have actually driven their Veyron to 250mph??

200, sure - 210, no doubt - 220, probably quite a few - 230, I think we are approaching the single digits now - 240, low single digits, if any - 250, uhm, without proof I say none.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #23
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Hennessy earned a well deserved reputation fro bein a dishonest business man a number o fyears ago - perhaps he has cleaned up his act now, but he ripped off a number of people on his way to the top.

At one time he was known to take 1 customers money, then use that money to finish aother customers car - in the mean time leaving the second customers car unfinished and even forcing people to take legal action to either get their cars back or get the work done.
The people at viperalley still seam to like him.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
pitfield
Regular User

the point is that if you want pure acceleration, just build a drag car, if you want a useable car, go for a Veyron, although I hanker after a GT3, corners exist near my house, and the way you go round them is more important than full on speed.

In fact, I have had some seriously satisfying times in an Astra 1.6 recently, just because it woud not go any faster along that road than it did, power is not the be all and end all.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
the point is that if you want pure acceleration, just build a drag car, if you want a useable car, go for a Veyron, although I hanker after a GT3, corners exist near my house, and the way you go round them is more important than full on speed.

In fact, I have had some seriously satisfying times in an Astra 1.6 recently, just because it woud not go any faster along that road than it did, power is not the be all and end all.
Oddly enough, the only people you ever hear say that have never really felt real power

Seriously - after I spent almost 250 laps getting very intimate with a Caterham Superlight over a 2 month period, I thought I had found the perfect car - light, nimble, handles lke a dream - feels like a 4 wheel motorcycle... and it only needed 220bhp to accomplish its task.....

"This is the perfect car... power isn't everyhting... " is what I said to myself..... as a Carrera GT blasted past me on outside of the exit of the carousel at MSR.... it was at that moment I realised... I NEED 600bhp+ to have the perfect car
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
eunos94
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield View Post
power is not the be all and end all.
Stereotypically uttered by a PUSSY!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #27
pagani
Regular User

Smile

Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
Stereotypically uttered by a PUSSY!!!
Btw the supra's all set the records whit less power than the viper.