Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by fordgt84 View Post
dude go on and save for the C6 Z06, ain't nothing worse than spending loads of money on another car that's a little similar to the one u want and then regreting it... keep on checking ebay, u might find an angry divorcee trying to piss of her ex-husband by selling one for 2 dollars
I wish!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #17
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
I could have told you any Vette Coupe would be a wallary over weight plastic pig compared to any Z

But chances are the C6 Z will also be "too much car" for you
Hehe, I think I may be starting to understand your humor. I think.

Don't worry I'm never going to complain about a car being too much haha. I'll just shit my pants quietly. I've been seeing Z's everywhere I look. I followed one today on the way home and talked to the owner for a bit, nice guy too. He said he was getting the new one, the 100k one asap. He then pointed out that his z06 handles better than ferrari's and I was going to love it. Which I dont doubt.

I love the way the car looks , but Im still in shock at the interior. When i went to test the c6 I took a look at a z06 and sat in it for a little while. It smelled like the epoxy they used to glue the interior together so I jumped out before I got intoxicated by the fumes and really started flying.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI View Post
It smelled like the epoxy they used to glue the interior together so I jumped out before I got intoxicated by the fumes and really started flying.
That was the smell of you own bile man.. you must have puked your lungs in fear of "the Beast"
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
graywolf624
Regular User

In summary, felt like i was driving the M3, felt like the C6 was driving me. Granted the torque on the C6 is awesome and the car didnt feel quite as slushy as I expected. Love the gearing and the presence of the vette, but the M3 as a car is much more refined and filled with technology.
Im guessing you drove an 07.. go drive an 08... The C6.5 is like a completely different car in this respect.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
04RCSTI
Regular User

That was the smell of you own bile man.. you must have puked your lungs in fear of "the Beast"
Hahaha, I just got back from my test drive. While its not the fastest car I've been in, it was definitely the most powerful.

I came in to see this..

Which led to this..

Which then led to :l augh:

Cold tires + 3/4 throttle in second =

That car has a lot of power, it was really impressive. Annoyingly loud at idle. Long gears, steering lacked a bit of feel, gearbox throws were longer than I expected with such a short and stiff shifter. Clutch was nice. Visibility was good. Suspension felt shot, I dont know what was up with that. Great brakes, this car had racing pads.

I think it would be a little unnerving to play around with it on the street, but on a track it would be a lot of fun. Definitely far from a daily driver.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
Im guessing you drove an 07.. go drive an 08... The C6.5 is like a completely different car in this respect.
No, I drove a spanking New 08.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Cold tires + 3/4 throttle in second =
This is true for any powerful car.

That car has a lot of power, it was really impressive. Annoyingly loud at idle.
Are you being serious? This is obviously why BMW appeals to so many people - all it seems is people want is some pussy sounding whoosh..

Long gears, steering lacked a bit of feel, gearbox throws were longer than I expected with such a short and stiff shifter. Clutch was nice. Visibility was good. Suspension felt shot, I dont know what was up with that.
All these things describe a competant super GT. The idea of a "shot" suspension seems a little odd, there is really not much to "wear out" - even with 100,000 miles on them. Perhaps it was just softer than you expected based on all the crap about it being hard and unusable being written out there.

Great brakes, this car had racing pads.
Hmm - sound more like street+ pads - race pads take a while to warm up and need heat to keep working

I think it would be a little unnerving to play around with it on the street, but on a track it would be a lot of fun. Definitely far from a daily driver.
Again - seems like an odd response from a "sports car" enthusiast. And this from a stock 500bhp unit?

I am sure there is a wimpy chicks M3 out there with your name on it - leave this car for the next man to come along and buy it

hehe
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
79TA
Regular User

Maybe a C6 Z51 would be a good compromise. I know you test drove one earlier, but I'm not sure that it wasn't just a non-Z51.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #24
04RCSTI
Regular User

This is true for any powerful car.
While this is somewhat true, its not necessarily always true. There are cars that have lower torque and power up top that dont do this, such as an F430. I'm not saying I'm a ferrari lover, but you cant sit there and tell me that the Z06 isn't tail happy.

Are you being serious? This is obviously why BMW appeals to so many people - all it seems is people want is some pussy sounding whoosh..

Not, my old car and even my current car are both louder than the Z06 at idle. It's just that it has a sort of annoying hum to it that you think will go away once warmed up but then never does. Be careful because you said you never make personal attacks and here you are calling me a pussy for liking BMW's.

All these things describe a competant super GT. The idea of a "shot" suspension seems a little odd, there is really not much to "wear out" - even with 100,000 miles on them. Perhaps it was just softer than you expected based on all the crap about it being hard and unusable being written out there.
No need to feel personally attacked, you didn't design the car RC. Don't be so reluctant to admit that the car isn't perfect. I didnt say it wasnt a competent GT (if thats what you want to call it). It was a little odd, maybe it was just how the bench-like seats creaked and moved around as I went over bumps.

It wasn't that it was soft. There's a difference between soft, hard and firm for me. A road car should be firm. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way the suspension is setup on the z06, but it did feel slightly old fashioned I dont know why.

And any competent car shouldnt have steering that lacks in feel.

Hmm - sound more like street+ pads - race pads take a while to warm up and need heat to keep working
Yes they were track pads, squeaking at every stop and useless when i first got the car moving. I had race pads before, I know what its like...

Again - seems like an odd response from a "sports car" enthusiast. And this from a stock 500bhp unit?

Again with the name calling.
Yes a stock 500bhp unit on a car I've never driven before and cant get traction for shit.
I know you have more track time and more experience with vettes than I do. I have no problem admitting to that.

Unnerving from the point of view that you have to be aware of your driving much more so than in other cars because of the size and power of the car. I'm sure anyone could get used to it and drive it like an everyday car. But for a first drive, thats what I felt. Sheesh I shoudlve just said that it was the god of all cars.

I am sure there is a wimpy chicks M3 out there with your name on it - leave this car for the next man to come along and buy it

hehe
Hehe, yeah. You know...that car was sitting in the back of that room for a long time, I think there was something up with the throttle because it would get stuck about a 5th of the way down and then jump out when it released. Felt like it anyway. I asked the guy why he moved it and he just said.. "We don't sell corvettes here.." and gave me a look.

Again, Im sure it would only be a matter of getting used to it RC. Remember that I come from AWD cars currently and I can get away with a lot more throttle inputs than you can on your z06. Even at 550hp, I could still mash on the gas on my old car in..spin first but then no drama ever again.

I could've been completely negative about everything, but rather I wanted to be a little more honest about it. Next time though, I'm going to talk about how much American cars suck. You know, back to the usual hahahaha.

Last edited by 04RCSTI; 03-12-2008 at 01:50 AM.
04RCSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 AM   #25
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Maybe a C6 Z51 would be a good compromise. I know you test drove one earlier, but I'm not sure that it wasn't just a non-Z51.
Hehe, I think that if I'm going to go with a high hp car its going to be something built from the ground up to my specs.

Like say a 4l Stroker Twin turbo 350z with 800rwhp.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #26
79TA
Regular User

nah, 350z's are a major pain to modify (so little space in the engine bay!). Just get something a bit older (and cheaper ) if you're going to go the mod route.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #27
styla21
Regular User

Your above post, RCSTI, is a post of perfect diplomacy.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #28
RC45
Regular User

While this is somewhat true, its not necessarily always true. There are cars that have lower torque and power up top that dont do this, such as an F430. I'm not saying I'm a ferrari lover, but you cant sit there and tell me that the Z06 isn't tail happy.
I never said the car wasnt tail happy - again, any high hp on cold tyres will lack grip at 3/4 throttle... even F430.. that is the nature of cold tyres.

Not, my old car and even my current car are both louder than the Z06 at idle. It's just that it has a sort of annoying hum to it that you think will go away once warmed up but then never does. Be careful because you said you never make personal attacks and here you are calling me a pussy for liking BMW's.
Well - that "annoying hum" is what some people like and pay for - that is who this push rod V8 is designed for... not to cater for the pussy whoosh brigade.

I never called anyone a pussy... I called the whoosh pussy sounding.

No need to feel personally attacked, you didn't design the car RC. Don't be so reluctant to admit that the car isn't perfect. I didnt say it wasnt a competent GT (if thats what you want to call it). It was a little odd, maybe it was just how the bench-like seats creaked and moved around as I went over bumps.
I never ever ever ever ever said any Corvette was perfect. Far from it - I have criticised and will continue to criticise all the "weak' points of the car... however many first time Vette drivers critique none of the actual weak points.

The bench like seats crak and groan? Did you salesman not show youhow to cinch the belts inplace so youwouldnt move about in the seat?

It wasn't that it was soft. There's a difference between soft, hard and firm for me. A road car should be firm. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way the suspension is setup on the z06, but it did feel slightly old fashioned I dont know why.
And I suppose a GT-R would feel slightly new fashioned? Hehe - again, it just seems that the things people critique are not the actual weaknesses of the cars

And any competent car shouldnt have steering that lacks in feel.
yet if the car had Exige like steering with those steamroller front tyres, I bet you would complain the steering was always hunting, tramlining and darty

Yes they were track pads, squeaking at every stop and useless when i first got the car moving. I had race pads before, I know what its like...
No need to get so defensive - most likely Hawk HP+'s - unless you had to do some some 110/10th's braking to heat them up

Again with the name calling.
Yes a stock 500bhp unit on a car I've never driven before and cant get traction for shit.
I know you have more track time and more experience with vettes than I do. I have no problem admitting to that.
What name calling? Are all the 4 banger guys this thin skinned?

BTW, did youturn of traciton control? Because unless you were just mashing the gas, the TC would have reigned in simple cold tyre wheelspin for you.

Unnerving from the point of view that you have to be aware of your driving much more so than in other cars because of the size and power of the car. I'm sure anyone could get used to it and drive it like an everyday car. But for a first drive, thats what I felt. Sheesh I shoudlve just said that it was the god of all cars.
You need to always be aware when piloting uber-horsepower cars on the public street - but you knew this.

You woul dbe the only one saying it was the god of cars if you did Remember, instaed of plonking down $70K for a new one, I kept my 8 year old car and put the $40K into it I would have had to pay to upgrade to the new one - it is not the perfect car, and even at $60K used, is not really the performance bargain it once was either.

Hehe, yeah. You know...that car was sitting in the back of that room for a long time, I think there was something up with the throttle because it would get stuck about a 5th of the way down and then jump out when it released. Felt like it anyway. I asked the guy why he moved it and he just said.. "We don't sell corvettes here.." and gave me a look.
Probably a severly track abused car that was hastily put up for sale

Although that throttle sounds like the spring on the pedal was sticking. The actual throttle mechanism is "fly by wire" so the sticking would need to be the actual pedal assembly.

Again, Im sure it would only be a matter of getting used to it RC. Remember that I come from AWD cars currently and I can get away with a lot more throttle inputs than you can on your z06. Even at 550hp, I could still mash on the gas on my old car in..spin first but then no drama ever again.
And I was just giving you a hard time... hopefully you never took any of it too seriously - because I sure don't.

Sounds like the traction (or lack there of) you were experiencing came from old tyres more than cold tyres... I can bury the throttle out of a 2nd gear corner on my track tyres... on the street with a set of Ferrari F50 rears, anything over 3000rpm in 1,2 or 3 just goes up in smoke.

I could've been completely negative about everything, but rather I wanted to be a little more honest about it. Next time though, I'm going to talk about how much American cars suck. You know, back to the usual hahahaha.

But on a serious note, glad you had the chance to try one out... now imagine what it would have been like if all the trashed bits had been working well
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #29
04RCSTI
Regular User

Hehe, yeah I definitely don't disagree that thats supercar performance for relatively cheap. Amazing bang for the buck. I'm glad I got to try it.

Now tomorrow I'm driving my friends 997 GT3 haha, he's letting me take it for a spin since we're going GT3 RS hunting here in Miami... He is about to dump 50k in mods into his GT3 to make it behave like an RS, he might as well spend the money on the RS. That should be interesting, I'll get shitty phone pics of it too.. maybe I'll post about my experience, but I dont know if I should since I'm so afraid of what you may say. ya right.. hehe.

Nice one with the GT-R comment too haha, I liked that one. Don't you have ridiculous cams to go buy for your car now? Oh, already in the car? Get some real seats.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #30
RC45
Regular User

Oh, already in the car? Get some real seats.