Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 AM   #166
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I've finally gotten around to updating the list on page 1 with the changes for 2007. The section below is posted at the very bottom of the first post as well, but for you lazy people, here it is anyway:

With the 2007 MY, there has been a change in the engine designation. It finally makes sense!!

Keeping with the same format as before (N52B30) there has been some clarification and revision for what comes next. The TU designations have been dropped, and you may notice that the new suffix o1 or u1..pay attention now as it will all be explained

the first change comes in the numbered designation. The first number is the Engine Type. 4= 4cyl, 5= 6cyl, 6= 8 cyl, 7= 12cyl and 8= 10 cyl.
the second number is the engine system: 0= baisic engine; 1= SULEV/PZEV; 2= Valvetronic; 3= Gas w/ Direct Injection; 4=Gas w/DI + Turbo; 5= Dual Vanos + Valvetronic; 7= Diesel injection + Turbo

the Letter in the middle is still fuel type but there are some new additions to the possibilites here. Along with B and D, we now have E= Electric, G= Natural Gas and H= Hydrogen

next numbers are engine displacement in tenths of a liter (no change here)

and next is the engine's output rating: T= Top rating, O= High Output, M= Medium Output, U= Low output, K=Lowest output and 0= New Development

the final number is the version of the engine, numbered 1-9.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

You may notice in that list that there is a new engine listed, designated the N51. This is the SULEV replacement for the M56 motor. It is available in certain 328i's in AUTOMATIC trans only. I am not sure as to the complete designation because none of the literature mentions it.

All facelifts are now referred to as LCI, or Life Cycle Impulse. Why this is i have no idea. Personally, i think someone people in marketing were drinking at lunch and in a drunken stupor (since just about EVERYTHING is a good idea when you're drunk) decided to name the facelift LCI :roll:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #167
TNT
Regular User

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...pe-undisguised

Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #168
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I love how they have a clutch pedal on the SMG transmission setup

It does look like they are retaining the Power Dome hood. The black one is the Hard Top Cabrio, which i am interesting to see how it holds out. I'm really looking forward to how this is going to run

Near as i can tell, with the new engine designation format, the new engine code for the V8 will either be S60, 61 or 63 B40T0. I will post when i knwo more about it.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #169
inso
Regular User

wouldnt be too proud to say it were my photoshop
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #170
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^ nope, lol. I wouldn't want my fingerprints on that

Old 12-21-2006, 05:37 AM   #171
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Roundel
The new M3 will debut at next September's Frankfurt auto show. The Sydney Morning Herald reports that BMW M boss Ulrich Bruhnke confirmed the date while at the launch of the M6 convertible in southern France last September. "The Frankfurt International Motor Show is so important [to BMW] we must show it there," he said. The fourth-generation M3, based on the E90 3 Series Coupe, will be powered by a four-liter V8 producing about 400 horsepower.

BMW is already working on a facelift for the new 3 Series. Our spy photographer bagged two prototypes in the thick of rush-hour traffic in Munich. We decided not to run the photos because it's difficult to spot the differences that include a deeper spoiler, slightly revised front bumper, and redefined kidney grilles. Obervers say the subtle changes are necssary to compete with the Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, both of which will apparently debut at September's Frankfurt auto show. Typically, BMW introduces a design freshening of its models halfway through their life cycle, approximately four years after the original car is introduced. But the E90 3er has been out for just one year.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #172
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v

BMW is already working on a facelift for the new 3 Series. Our spy photographer bagged two prototypes in the thick of rush-hour traffic in Munich. We decided not to run the photos because it's difficult to spot the differences that include a deeper spoiler, slightly revised front bumper, and redefined kidney grilles. Obervers say the subtle changes are necssary to compete with the Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, both of which will apparently debut at September's Frankfurt auto show. Typically, BMW introduces a design freshening of its models halfway through their life cycle, approximately four years after the original car is introduced. But the E90 3er has been out for just one year.
Maybe that is the "Life Cycle Impluse" you talked about Z? Or it could just be the new Sports Packaged w/ M Aerokit?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #173
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I think they just finally decided to give the facelift an official name.

One of the things i think that will change with the E90 LCI is the fog lamps. Right now they are angled inward towards the center of the car instead of outward to flow with the contour of the bumper. But it doesn't surprise me that they are already working on the LCI changes. The car itself has probably been on the drawing boards at least 6 years

Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #174
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
I think they just finally decided to give the facelift an official name.

One of the things i think that will change with the E90 LCI is the fog lamps. Right now they are angled inward towards the center of the car instead of outward to flow with the contour of the bumper. But it doesn't surprise me that they are already working on the LCI changes. The car itself has probably been on the drawing boards at least 6 years
True, fog lamps are suppose to give you a "curtain" or light underneath the fog so you could see.

Yeah, but that article is saying that the E90 will see a facelift/LCI within the year or two. Damn that is fast!

Yeah, I remember reading something about BMW development cycles, and you are about right, car was probably designed over 6 years ago, and usually before the introduction of the facelift they are working on the next generation already.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:43 AM   #175
blue8
Regular User

not sure if this is legit though...

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #176
ZfrkS62
Regular User

that makes me nervous

Old 01-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #177
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by AutoBlog
The February issue of CAR Magazine based in the U.K. isn't set to go on newsstands until January 3rd. The cover, however, which reveals what appears to be an official shot of the new BMW E92 M3 rear end, is already up on the buff book's website, while pages of the accompanying article are being hosted on M3Post.com and GermanCarScene (we'll refrain from posting them here on account of the obvious illegality of scans).

In the issue, the BMW M3 is called The Most Exciting Car of the Year, no doubt due to the anticipation of its release, which has been fueled by a steady stream of spy shots and rumors of a 400+ hp V8 under the car's long hood. The article inside the issue states that the new M3 will cost £48,000 GBP, or about $94,000 USD (!) if you trust exchange rates. It goes on to reveal that the engine is indeed a 4.0-liter V8 producing 420bhp, but that the motor can only propel the M3 to 62mph in 4.9 seconds. The current M3 with "only" a 333-hp, 3.2-liter inline-six can manage that in skilled hands, which casts some doubt on the information provided (an over 100% price increase, seriously?). So take the info with a grain of salt, but the scans of CAR Magazine's February issue sure look like official shots from the manufacturuer to us.
Thanks for the tip, Disco Stu!
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/31/b...-issue-of-car/

Thanks for the link Goodduck. . .
Old 01-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #178
bmagni
Regular User

the current M3 is about £45,000 if I'm not wrong and is about USD 53,000 so exchange rates aren't worth much.
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:07 AM   #179
ZfrkS62
Regular User

53K seems a bit low considering the E46 M3 was going for about 55-58 IIRC.

I would be looking for the E92 to be going closer to 60K. But i think that REALLY depends on the V8 performance when compared to the 335ci.

the power out of the 335 could still be a good run for the V8's money. The 330i ZHP was a great car for it's money compared to the 3.2L of the S54.

If the 335 is too close to the M3 in terms of power, the demand for the M3 is going to drop sharply. I'm looking for the 335 to influence the price of the E46 M3 a little more before i start looking. It's already proven that it will out run the damn thing, so it shouldn't take long.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #180
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by BMW-NA

BMW FIRST AUTO MAKER TO OFFER HD RADIO THROUGHOUT IT'S ENTIRE PRODUCT RANGE
Announcement Extends BMW's Leadership Position Among Auto Makers in Rollout of Digital AM and FM Radio Technology

Woodcliff Lake, NJ-January 5,2007
BMW expands it's pioneering position in providing high quality audio systems by becoming the first automotive firm to offer a factory installed HD Radio receiver as an option across it's entire 2007 product line. This option, which now includes HD Radio multicast reception capabilities will be availible on all 2007 3,5,6,7, X3, X5 and Z4 models.

HD Radio is one of the most significant advances in radio broadcasting history, providing listeners with enhanced digital audio quality and clear, noise-free reception, as well as multicasting and on screen text information. The HD Radio ulticasting feature allows FM stations to transmit multiple channels of digital programming simultaneously in a single frequency.

Of the more than 1,100 stations broadcasting in HD across the country, more than 500 FM stations are offering a second (HD2) and in many cases a third (HD3) multicast channel. For example, WAMU in Washington, DC, offers 3 channels; 88.5-1 a simulcast of it's news/talk analog channel; 88.5-2 a simulcast of an innovative Baltimore music station not available in DC; and 88.5-3, bluegrass music. These channels are free but can only be found with HD Radio receivers. As with all HD Radio programming, there are no fees or additional costs associated with multicast channels.

The number of HD Radio stations is growing daily and is expected to clear 3,000 in a couple of years. A complete list of stations can be found at www.hdradio.com

Today's announcement continues BMW's history of groundbreaking premium audio offerings. In the fall of 2005, the company announced the first OEM availability of HD Radio technology in the 2006 7 and 6 series. In June of 2006, the company announced that HD Radio receivers would be available in the 2007 5 series models and last month announced the first factory-installed multicast capable HD Radio in the 2007 3 series convertible.

The HD Radio option will have a Suggested Retail Price of $500.