Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default Boost controlling

when you put a boost controller to a car, i know you can change the pressure level of the turbo, that means more Psi right? so this means you can change the boost of the turbo right? so if i change the boost, this means the HP will increase dramatically? or just a litle bit?

how many hp will a EVO8 have if a change the boost like 10%?
Old 09-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

normally when the booster work in everyday use cars(not all the turbo cars have the booster) when the throttle is pushed totally and the increase of the power of the car depends on the makes setting(normally the increase is a little between 10 and 20 bhp), however, there are some people who get a turbo car for everyday use car and for rallying, and they put a manual booster in order to get the amount of increase of power that they want, and whenever they want as well
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
gottacatchup
Regular User

Damn you guys beat me to it, they pretty much explained it all but BE WARNED!

increasing the boost can and probably will shorten the life of you engine, naturally the higher the increase the more dramatic the shortening. I've heard of many people who bought turbo cars and increased the boost a couple psi and the engine blew in 20,000 miles.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

We didnt talk about the disadvantages of the booster....but thats the point....the reliability worsens dramatically if we dont use the booster in gently and therefore we increase the pressure of the turbo engine into some critical limits....apart from worsening the reliability of the engine, the fuel consumption of the car increases dramatically as well, once we loose the good balance(performances/fuel consumption) that the stock car has.....thanks gottacatchup for your contribution
Old 09-09-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
corvette97
Regular User

insted of a boost controller, what can u add to get a lot of power? electronic stuff? (no chip)
Old 09-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
gottacatchup
Regular User

For an EVO you can do pretty much anything and get a decent amount of power just go to an EVO specific forum and browse around and see what other people have done.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
Evo
Regular User

Hey.. You already got an expert Evo guy over here.. ..

Well the stock Evo boost is about 1.0 bar but then drops at a higher RPM somehow..

If you installed a boost controller on a stock turbo you can take it up to 1.2bar safely and by adding the boost controller you car will now hold the boost oh higher rpm. Ofcource this will increase the power of the car by alot and you will feel the difference.

For the most gain in electrical stuff for the Evo or any car.. you have to change the ECU. aka Chip.. I recomend Motec.. I tried Link and it sucks..
Old 09-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

thanks Evo for this information about boosting a modern turbo engine, like the evos, the subarus, the Audi RS6, once i know a bit about how the power is increased in the R5 Gt Turbo, the sierra cosworth....here by car enthusiasts....but they increase the power in a simple way....just using a variable manual booster from the interior of the car according to the turbo pressure that the gauge shows
Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
corvette97
Regular User

hey guys, what do you think about this modifications?

Polished SS Ex. Manifold - EVO

OEM EVO Exhaust Manifold Gasket - EVO III (they recomned changing the manifold and housing gaskets)

OEM EVO 02 Housing Gasket - EVO VIII

G-Tech Performance Meter (to know accel and shit)

HKS Ti Exhaust -Lancer EVO 8

Helix Turbo 02 Housing - EVO

HKS Racing Suction Intake - EVO

Cusco 25mm Front Sway Bar -Evo 8

Cusco 23mm Rear Sway Bar -Evo 8

Tein S Lowering Springs -Evo 8

Apexi Auto Turbo Timer

here in guatemala theres this place called "Makan" they sell you a chip and the cost is 800usd$ in this litle paper they gave me it says that the chip increased the power up to a 15%, but they told me that the chip gave me 40hp in the leon. this is good stuff? i like it because they do all the work and i have nothing else to do, no programming done by me, but if i change the ecu on a car i think i might screw things up, so i was thinking to get like a "plug and play" electronic shit to get more power, is there something like this on the market? if you can, plz show me

NOTE: I do not have a evo8, i plan to get one, but still far from getting one, this is just like a pre-plan.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:37 PM   #10
CMonakar
Regular User

"when you put a boost controller to a car, i know you can change the pressure level of the turbo, that means more Psi right? so this means you can change the boost of the turbo right?"

Correct. The boost controller does not act on the turbo directly though. It regulates the operation of the wastegate, a valve in the exhaust manifold between the motor and the turbo. The more the valve is open the less exhaust pressure is forced through the turbo turbine, the slower the turbine spins, which in turn causes the compressor to spin slower and generate less boost.

"so if i change the boost, this means the HP will increase dramatically? or just a litle bit? how many hp will a EVO8 have if a change the boost like 10%?"

This depends primarily on the size of the turbo compressor. Larger turbos generally produce more hp per psi. Factory turbo systems are balanced to provide good low and top end. As you increase the boost above the factory peak you will move away from the efficiency sweet-spot that the turbo was designed to operate in. As a result, the turbo will begin generating more heat than it does at factory boost levels, reducing the density of the air, in turn reducing HP, and increasing the risk of knock. You will still make more power, but the increase per pound of boost will decrease the further you move from the peak efficiency range of the turbo.

Aside from increasing boost, you may be able to improve your car's performance by using an electronic boost controller to increase the rate that boost rises to the factory limit. This is typically referred to as GAIN. When you step on the gas the wastegate starts out completely closed. As the turbo starts spinning up to speed the wastegate will start regulating boost by progressively opening. Most aftermarket systems use larger solenoids than the oem units to control the wastegate. As a result, they are able to open later without overshooting the target boost value. The benefit of this is that the turbo spools up faster and throws you back in the seat with more force while not significantly increasing the strain on the motor.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:49 AM   #11
Evo
Regular User

Polished SS Ex. Manifold - EVO

OEM EVO Exhaust Manifold Gasket - EVO III (they recomned changing the manifold and housing gaskets)

OEM EVO 02 Housing Gasket - EVO VIII
Mine is still stock and they are very good.. I personally don't recomend it unless your going for a new turbo.

G-Tech Performance Meter (to know accel and shit)
That thing is stupid, unstable and not accurate.. My friend game me one to test on the Evo.. so we pluged it in .. first problem was the rpm was not what it was showing on the car. second the reading of the speed was a bit off too..

HKS Ti Exhaust -Lancer EVO 8

Helix Turbo 02 Housing - EVO

HKS Racing Suction Intake - EVO
Yep these upgrades are good although I still have the stock turbo housing, I'm thinking of replacing it soon..

Cusco 25mm Front Sway Bar -Evo 8

Cusco 23mm Rear Sway Bar -Evo 8

Tein S Lowering Springs -Evo 8
Well I would recomend you first go to a track and see if you really do need this stuff.. Because seriously the car is very capable of taking corners at high speed stock. So adding this stuff might not help a lot..

Apexi Auto Turbo Timer
That is a must get.. Get this before you even get the car..lol

I would also recomend you getting JDM rear lights.. the Evo8 stock rear light sucks.. ( Sorry to who ever got an Evo8, but that's the truth )

And as Brembo said if you want some serious tuning get a programable ECU.. I did not program mine my self.. I gave it to a pro who did it for me on a dyno and I could not be more happier with the result..

Ohh and get a new set of clutch as soon as you get the car from the dealer.. The stock won't last long
Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #12
corvette97
Regular User

Mine is still stock and they are very good.. I personally don't recomend it unless your going for a new turbo.
the manifold or the gaskets?
Old 09-10-2004, 05:16 PM   #13
Evo
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
the manifold or the gaskets?
Both
Old 09-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #14
corvette97
Regular User

i thought the manifold would allow more exhaust flow... but you say is not worthy due to the stock turbo?

can u provide me a list of your evo modifications? please?
Old 09-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #15
Evo
Regular User

HKS Hyper Exhaust with a straight pipe.. It's freaken loud..
Filter
Boost controller set at 1.6 bar
Motec M48 ECU
Turbo Timer..
Fuel Pump
OS Twin Plate Clutch
NJK park plugs.. <-- if you concider that a mod
The car was dynoed at 330 at the wheels

I use to have Link ECU before the Motec.. as I was told that the motec is just a high brand name nothing more.. But I think they are all wrong.. coz it really made a big difference .. with the link Ecu I can only get a high boost of 1.3 bar which is high but not high enough . And the car was very jerky sometimes . So if you got the money get a motec M48 nothing more nothing less.