Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-06-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
Gnome
Regular User

Default When did BMW introduce VANOS on the 320i?

I wonder when the BMW 320i got the VANOS system. A friend of mine says that it was introduced on the 520i in -92. Since the 320i and the 520i both used the M50 engine around that time, I feel it would be natural to introduce it at the same time in both models.

I have just Googled around to find out. Several sites confirm that VANOS was introduced on the M50 engine in the -92 520i. The only site that mentions the first 320i with VANOS says it happened in -93. I trust the regulars here at Jabbas World more than a random web site... Does anyone know for sure?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
BADMIHAI
Regular User

How mind-numbingly boring is that?
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

They introduced a bit later than in 1992 as far as i know...once the firsts 320i and the 325i (the E-36) didnt have the VANOS system for around a year at least although the power of the car was the same.....but the power of the car was lower obviously in low revs......the best way to know the date of the VANOS implementation...its just going to technical characterists of the 320i or 325i E36 from different periods....and then compare the different torques and the revs where the maximum torque whas reached...and then get clear the date of the VANOS implementation of the 3 series
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

The only thing I could say is that my 1995 E36 320i already has it
Old 09-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #5
Gnome
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
How mind-numbingly boring is that?
Yes, I know... Or actually, it isn't! VANOS is BMWs system for variable valve timing system. It gives the engine more torque at lower revs. This means that even though the M50 engine has 150 hp max power both with and without VANOS, the one with VANOS is more powerful than the other at lower revs, which means more powerful for all practical purposes.

I am wondering if I should buy one when/if I get a job. If I do get one, it would be sad to buy a car that is one year too old...

I know that I could check the manual when looking at a car, but it's more fun to test the BMW-fans here
Old 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #6
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

I mean...there must be some difference between riding a 320i or the 325i (mostly in the 320I because it doesnt perform in an impressive way)..with or without VANOS....and if i have a choise between a car with the VANOS and the equivalent car without the VANOS in similar conditions id get the VANOS of course

But at the end of the day IMO, i dont see the VANOS as an essencial cause when deciding a second hand car(the car doesnt perform much more when driving in a sportive way, and it doesnt consume the fuel much less)....as a result....Id get the BMW which its in best conditions regardless the car has VANOS or not, once im very concerned about the car caring and driving manners of the previous owners of a second hand car)
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
topgeartom
Regular User

well, i think VANOS was intro.............

sorry. nodded off for a moment then ops:
Old 09-06-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
schnell318
Regular User

I think it was in 93 but I´m not sure if it was just the intake side at first and then both sides.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

it was on the exhaust side first. adjusting the exhaust cam allows the combustion temps to drop which lowers NOx emissions. These emissions were the original reason that the EGR system was introduced, but since introducing inert gasses into the cylinder reduces the volume, it robs power. Variable valve timing allows for the elimination of the EGR valve and, as a bonus, allows for more power.

The M50TU was the first engine to get the VANOS system.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote