Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #1
mindgam3
Regular User

Default AMV8 faster than GT3

According to Autocar, AMV8 prototypes have been lapping the nurburgring at 7 minutes 51 seconds, faster than the GT3. Looks like this new Aston's gonna be a stunner

thoughts?
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
Fleischmann
Regular User

This comes as a huge surprise to me.I heard that the AMV8 was a great sports car, but I find it hard to believe these news. Every car mag, TV programme always mentioned that the AMV8 was going to rival with the standard 911. But before I get my hopes up, I'll wait for results from official tests.

Any links ??
Old 08-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
gottacatchup
Regular User

Wow that's an amazing time, but I thought they were supposed to rival the 911 turbo so how does it compare to that time?
Old 08-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
1zippo1
Regular User

If that's not a prototype with a specific race setup... then I'm stunned. Aston Martins aren't famous for their track performance. Usually they're much too heavy for that. But if this is true, I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of the AMV8. But too be honest, for know, I'm a bit sceptic about your message.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
mindgam3
Regular User

Well they're offical AM times so....

To be honest i'm suprised as well, but considering AM's are supposed to be more luxury than sporty, even if it was a race specific setup (but why would they bother testing that?) the production version is going to be a very fast car by the looks of things.

Prototypes aren't usually as fast as production models though and even so, thats a whole 2 seconds (i think) faster than the GT3
Old 08-28-2004, 01:59 PM   #6
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by gottacatchup
Wow that's an amazing time, but I thought they were supposed to rival the 911 turbo so how does it compare to that time?
the GT3 is faster around a track than the turbo
Old 08-28-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Vansquish
Regular User

Amazing...finally a proper sports car from Aston hehe...the sound that those prototypes make is pretty amazing too:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/a...y.php?id=39112

click the link, then look for the two pictures of AM prototypes...beneath that there is alink to the video.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #8
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
Amazing...finally a proper sports car from Aston hehe...the sound that those prototypes make is pretty amazing too:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/a...y.php?id=39112

click the link, then look for the two pictures of AM prototypes...beneath that there is alink to the video.
thanks for the link

and at about £60,000.... this is going to be some car if all goes well
Old 08-28-2004, 02:03 PM   #9
Driftzwerg
Regular User

Same goes for me. I`m addicted to the beauty of that car, but I don`t believe that it can keep up with an 381 hp GT3, that is a race car. The Aston is a GT. And it gets probably the Jaguar R Engine. which produces 395 hp. The new 911 Turbo will get 480 hp according to Auto bild.
Even if they push the engine up to 450 bhp, it won`t outrun the Porsche brakes, or the turbos 4wd.

Still.. it is a beauty and would look teriffic in front of my house
Old 08-28-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
mindgam3
Regular User

Well the DB9 weighs 1700kg, so considering this is supposed to be a sports model rather than a GT, i wouldnt be suprised of a kerb weight of 1500kg or less, still not very light, but not too heavy either. AM says power output is going to be somewhere between 400 and 500bhp but nothings been confirmed yet.

True that the prototype won't entirely refelct the production model, but seeing as though theres a 2 second gap to play with, plus taking into consideration how well they got the big DB9 to handle, i wouldnt be suprised if it could lap in the same region as the GT3 or new carrera S which it is rivalling, not the turbo as this will probably be around 30k more.

And as u said, even if it doesen't lap as fast, the looks are way better than the porches and almost undoubtedly the sound will be too
Old 08-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #11
gottacatchup
Regular User

Hopefully it wont fall to the same fate as the DB9 which started with rave reviews and then as it was compared to other models in the same class slowly fell out of favor. Either way i'd rather have an aston then a porsche
Old 08-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
Vansquish
Regular User

I don't think the DB9 has really fallen out of favor...what I've read says that it's a bit more focussed than the Bentley Conti GT and the 575M is really not intended as a competitor, nor is the 612, as it's in an entirely different price range. The AM is just so much more beautiful and more unique than most of the other cars in its price bracket that it's taking a little time to realize that.

The AMV8 will no doubt be in a similar predicament, though it will also probably be a fair amount quicker than the DB9 around any given track and the Vantage version of it it will certainly outpace the standard DB9 in a straight line as well.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:30 PM   #13
mindgam3
Regular User

I don't think the DB9 has really fallen out of favor...what I've read says that it's a bit more focussed than the Bentley Conti GT and the 575M is really not intended as a competitor, nor is the 612, as it's in an entirely different price range. The AM is just so much more beautiful and more unique than most of the other cars in its price bracket that it's taking a little time to realize that.

The AMV8 will no doubt be in a similar predicament, though it will also probably be a fair amount quicker than the DB9 around any given track and the Vantage version of it it will certainly outpace the standard DB9 in a straight line as well.
yeah, i've never seen a bad review of the DB9, and there isn't any real competitor. Other GT's are either too soft or much more expensive, or people compare it to the 911 - which isn't a GT.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #14
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Once we needs some confirmation about the power and the weight of the car, for instance, 100kg more or less means a lot when getting a lap time even in powerful cars as these group(the 911 GT3, the 360 Modena), and doubt between between 400 and 500bhp (even between 400 and 450 bhp) makes more influence in a lap time....anyway....the certain thing is that the porsche 911s GT3 lap time is awesome in any racetrack(the car is light, and the suspension, brakes, gearbox...are very well combined , and its time in Nurbungring its not an exception...lets see who the car will be when well get the confirmation of the the weight and the number of horsepower of it...once the ratio power/weight is primordial to guess the performances of the car
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:22 PM   #15
gottacatchup
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3

yeah, i've never seen a bad review of the DB9, and there isn't any real competitor. Other GT's are either too soft or much more expensive, or people compare it to the 911 - which isn't a GT.
EVO rated the DB9 below the 911 Turbo and SL55 AMG while Car and Driver rated it below the CL600 and 612 Scaglietti. The magazines seem to absolutely love the car but when it comes down to it, it never ranks first in test.