Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Just_me
Regular User

Default Sweden's best/most fun vintercar (Type-R,R8, RS4, 135i, 335xi etc)

Driver: Sebastian Hohenthal (swedish racing driver)
Place: Alvdalen, Sweden
Tires: Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 (except for Alfa, using Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4)

Cars in part 1:
Alfa 147 Q2
Audi RS4
135i
335iX
Type-R
Mazda CX-7
Cooper S
350Z Roadster
Opel GT

Cars in part 2:
Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo
EVO 9 (Winner last year, can it win again?)
Impreza WRX STi

Cars from part 2 (next issue) will be added with the cars from part 1 to see if one of the new cars can beat the best car from part 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Opel GT
Not the best car here. Mostly for people that like design and an open powerful Roadster.

8. Nissan 350Z
Good chassi, good engine, not so good gearbox and steering on winter roads. Very easy to get the rear out.

7. Alfa 147 Q2
The ice was very slippery so you need to be careful with the throttle. Nice car, good gearbox and steering but in this gang its not the best car. Good diff.

6. Mazda CX-7
Same engine as Mazda 3 MPS. Nice chassi but ESP cant be turned off. Not good around track and slalom. Nice redline racer.

5. Cooper S
Biggest letdown, on dry roads its one of the best but on winterroads its disappointment. No diff (extra option). Difficult to drive fast on ice road. Still fun to drive though.

4. Honda Type-R
Best FWD car without diff I've driven says our driver Sebastian. But he is question if the car really is without diff(?). Super fun.

3. BMW 135i
Awesome chassi but 3 times more power than the car need on an icy road. Good steering and electronical diff makes it competent on ice road. But be careful with the throttle or the rear will disappear. As said before too much power on ice road, affect the acceleration in a bad way.
Very fun car to drive.

2. Audi RS4
You feel its a heavy car in the bends and the throttle react too fast on ice roads. Use the throttle with care. There is big difference to drive a RS4 on dry road compared to a ice road. If you arent careful with throttle, steering or brakes you will hit the snow wall. Correct driven its one of the most fun cars. Best sounding engine in this gang.

1. BMW 335xiA
Good chassi. Powerful engine and Xdrive is a perfect combination. The car is nice for the driver and every driver can be fast with this car. Of course you can hit the snow wall but then you have done a real driver screw up.
Combination of strong low revs, automatic and Xdrive make the car a great car on winterroads. Xdrive offer good traction on winter roads.

Acceleration 0-100km/h on ice:
RS4: 12,4 sec
135i: 32,6 sec
335xiA: 9.9 sec
Type-R: 19.0 sec
Alfa 147: 18,8 sec

Brakes 100-0km/h on ice, meter:
RS4: 121 m
135i: 144 m
335xiA: 116 m
Type-R: 116 m
Alfa 147: 101 m

Slalom on ice, km/h:
RS4: 85,3
135i: 83,5
335xiA: 86,6
Type-R: 80,6
Alfa 147: 75,8

Laptime on ice, minutes:
RS4: 3:01,4
135i: 3:00,2
335xiA: 2:50,8
Type-R: 2:56,6
Alfa 147: 3:02,4

Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

To bad there were no 4-Matic Benz but the BMW X-drive seems really impressive. Not the first time it beats Audis Quattro system.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Are those Nokia(n) tyres? hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
To bad there were no 4-Matic Benz but the BMW X-drive seems really impressive. Not the first time it beats Audis Quattro system.
ice performance, (and road performance) largely depends on the rubber attached to teh AWD system.... There are tires that can grip on ice nearly as good as all weather tires can grip on wet pavement...
Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
sti4_ver
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Are those Nokia(n) tyres? hehe
They used to be. Nokia manufactured rubber boots, cables, tyres etc. Nokian Renkaat Oyj was then later separated from the company Nokia Oyj. Nokia Oyj does cell phones and Nokian Renkaat Oyj does tyres.
sti4_ver is offline   Reply With Quote