Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-04-2004, 03:52 PM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default how good is the 2.0litre VW engine? **HELP me choose**

All my possibilities to get the seat 1.8t are gone :cry: , my father disagree because it was to dangerous for me, so i will have to buy a 2.0 jetta with 115hp :roll: , was just wondering how good is it? does it pull a litle bit?
thanxs!

EDIT:

well i have a week to decide: 2.0 golf or 2.0 jetta. the golf has a sunroof and then everything is the same. but the gauges of the jetta are better looking, altough at night they look the same.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

there is a big difference between buying a 1.8 20V and the 2.0 115bhp VW engine.......for instance the 2.0 isnt crispy at all....and it doesnt have the performances of the equivalent 2.0 115bhp opel engine....but in terms of reliability,.....the 2.0 VW is one of the most robust engine ever, and the fuel consumption of it is low.......anyway......at the end of the day the choice of the 2.0 engine depends o what you are looking for
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
antonioledesma
Regular User

Default Re: how good is the 2.0litre VW engine, for the Jetta?

Originally Posted by corvette97
All my possibilities to get the seat 1.8t are gone :cry: , my father disagree because it was to dangerous for me, so i will have to buy a 2.0 jetta with 115hp :roll: , was just wondering how good is it? does it pull a litle bit?
thanxs!
every car is dangerous no matter it's power. being 2 seconds faster with the turbo is...dumb...IMO.Be happy you'll get a nice car, comfy, good looking, trusty, etc. and not a very used car
and at your age a turbo is a bad idea, you would trash it (a good example of that...is me... i trashed the turbo of a car, now we have problems keeping good speed numbers)

the 2liter engine is... good, in the jetta is moreless because of the car's weight, and the gearbox doesn't helps at all. The gbox is good, nice, steady, smooth, but don't expect it to have short gear ratios for hardcore acceleration. That gbox is for fuel economy
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
666fast
Regular User

There is a reason people refer to them as 2.slo
Old 09-04-2004, 09:32 PM   #5
BADMIHAI
Regular User

It's a very good car/engine for you to start with. Get used to it first, and then maybe upgrade to a faster car.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

Yeah get a used Jetta cheap and wait till your insurance levels drop and then hop into something faster. The 2.0 is a slug BTW - slow as hell.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:51 PM   #7
BADMIHAI
Regular User

slow as hell.

I thought Hell was very active and crazy. How can something like that be slow?
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
snacky
Regular User

tell your dad the truth is you can get any car to go fast enough to kill or fock up you or someone else. traffic accidents happen everyday and it happens to cars usually with under 200 bhp. so in a strange way, the more bhp you have, the less likely you'll have an accident. see if he'll buy that
Old 09-04-2004, 10:29 PM   #9
crazidude
Regular User

I don't really see a reason why you would want a fast car. The odds you'll only go fast on a very long stretch of straight road. You'll basically end up going as fast as the 1.8T, but it'll just take a little longer to get there. It's probably better to get a 2L one if you have to pay for gas.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:00 AM   #10
DjPtsatsot
Regular User

the two point slow really isnt that bad of a car if you are over-seas. There the roads are truly different and the needs of a car are 100% different. My brother had a Bora TDi in Israel and the car really is above and beyond the needs and got good gas mileage. But here with all the big suv's and unefficient engines 16 million litre the car is a stinker. I think it will be suficcient and you will definetly have fun w/ it
DjPtsatsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:56 AM   #11
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

once i didnt get the personal opinion in the topic before, id get the 2.0 engine Jetta choice, once two of my good friends have got both VW Golf GTIs Mk III 2.0 engine,.... the car is fast enough to have some fun, the car doesnt give any minimal mechanical problem at all although we practice some racing driving in the car, and the fuel consuption of it is quite low although there is not a big difference of comsumption among the cars that have a similar ratio power/weight riding in a normal way...at the end of the day.....considering how reliable the 2.0 engine is....i think that a 2.0 8v VW engined car purchase is a very sensible purchase
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:23 AM   #12
AlienDB7
Regular User

You can always get a Jetta TDI Sport Edition, you get like 177lb-ft of torque right from 1800rpm!

In terms of safety, it probably has to do with the Driver more than the car. Most cars wrapping arounds trees are like civics or accords. Even a Toy Echo can do 150kph, just matter of whether the person can make the judgement on what's the appropriate speed under the road condition.

Since you're only 17, I would get a car that feels fast instead of one that is fast but doesn't feel fast. If you don't look at the speedo, you won't notice you're driving like a... normal driver
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:07 AM   #13
corvette97
Regular User

well, thanxs for the opinions, my father is totally happy unlike me, i wanted something a litle bit punchier, "crisper" just like capri said, but also like u guys mentioned, im only 17, maybe a turbo car is too much, so i'll keep my brand new car for almost a year, but like i have mentioned a couple of times, i have a bussines in progress, that would give me enough money to expand the bussines, to mantain myself, and also buy a very good car, maybe a evo or sti.

@brembo, yes, i used to drive one of my mom's car, a van :roll:, with was 140hp, it was decent enough to push it a litle bit, but then when i starded driving my friend's accord v6 with 210hp and considerably faster than the van, i drove even slower, i think you see that you have more power and that means you have to drive safe.

@crazidude, you are right, the place i live right now is a low-speed place, you have to go very slow to get there, too many turns and shit, but by the end of january 05 we'll move to a new place, and the road is full of open turns, high-speed turns, straights and stuff, (thats the main reason i wont get the 1.8t) and before betting to my house a 10kms straight, simple as that, my cousin who haves a sti, has taken the car up to 240km/h there.

in 2 or 4 days i'll post pics of my brand new Jetta, + i forgot to tell you guys, the car will have leather... 8)
Old 09-06-2004, 04:56 AM   #14
oldsnail
Regular User

my dad had an 2L golf h/b and now i drive a 1.6L civic h/b.
the golf cost alot in the long run..

initial cost more than the civic
driving the same, the golf is noticable of consuming more gas
the golf is noticeabley heavier than the civic and less agile.
little things break down, mainly electrical at the golf.

the only thing i like abt the golf is that it is more comfortable.. but i overal prefer a civic, even though i am not a honda fan
Old 09-06-2004, 08:11 AM   #15
TransAm
Regular User

the Jetta's a nice car, regardless of the engine size but yeah if I was inyour shoes and Dad didn't want me to have a turbo petrol then I'd try and convince him to go with a 130hp TDI, and then I'd get a chip

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote