Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > Top Gear UK - Episode Discussion

Old 02-12-2007, 03:15 AM   #31
acmarttin
Regular User

Well so far the sentiments of the Americans can be felt. I'm really embarrassed by the Alabama part. I swear to you European members of JW, there is actually a large population of intellectuals in this country, we're just unfortunately overshadowed by our black sheep cousin "the redneck"
Old 02-12-2007, 03:39 AM   #32
subhir
Regular User

Every single state/nation/country/continent has parts which would react like that.

Don't tell me, if you drive around Manchester with a big "Eat S#%$ ManU" on the side of your car that you won't get stones thrown at you (if you survive!?!?!?!?)?????
Or like driving around Ireland, Scotland and England with "Rugby Sux" in capital letters!!!

Thats what make "Top Gear" enjoyable, they grab hold of the extremes and wring every little bit of fun out of it!!! Its nothing to get personal about, or feel ashamed of.

They just (at least one of the producers/directors/presenters/whoever) have a grudge against America and they seem to fixate on that (quite often actually), but whatever.

I love the show and no matter what anyone on the show (or off the show) says, I will continue to watch it and probably enjoy it!!!!!!
subhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #33
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

I'd like to address some points made in the film:

1. Miami is NOT that bad. They just happened to go car shopping in Liberty City, which happens to be ridiculously rough.

2: Moroso motorsports track is NOT abandoned, it is only opened on the weekends. I would know, because i live 5 miles down the road from it, and get my gas from the track.

3. New Orleans is actually WORSE than you can imagine by seeing the video. It is truly a ghost town. My friend lost his home, and I went up there to help him recover, and I can honestly say I will never sleep well again seeing the desolation and destruction. It was as if a war had gone on.

4. America is not as bad as you would gather from the video. Like has been said before, there ARE intellectuals, and we are overshadowed by rednecks, which are out in force by where I live.

Other than that, I loved the episode, and I liked recognizing the places they drove by in south Florida.

@RC, those aren;t practice skid marks at the end of the drag strip at Moroso, those have always been there.

And the scuffle at the store was not staged. That kind of thing happens by where I live, and judging by personal expierience of driving through the part of Alabama they were in, that was totally authentic. I am in no way proud of this, its quite embarrassing watching that and just thinking of the thoughts going through the heads of viewers around the world who had never been to America.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #34
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

Awesome episode! I really loved that roadtrip, too bad for not really testing cars etc but this was great! Hilarious, I can't remember the last time I had such a great laugh watching TG
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #35
LEXION
Regular User

ah, GREAT EPISODE!!! Really good. I was amazed by the redneck riot at the gas station, and the fact that everyone has a gun in miami.....but i liked the highway and the scenery. I would really like to do a coast to coast trip of America

Great show guys

My Flickr Photo sets | My YouTube Videos | Mod edit: No linking to personal business in a sig
LEXION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #36
TopGearNL
Regular User

I was having such a good time watching it!

Alabama is a dangerous place :shock:

Was LMAO at the text that was written on the side of the cars and when they were attacked at the gasstation!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #37
ARMAN
Regular User

hahaha what an episode, i'd guess most of it was staged including gas station but as you say it is probably real... :shock: LOL signs on Hammonds car was the funnyest HAHAHAA

Jeremy bought my all favorit american car and my favorit generation of it - 3rd gen damn how bad i wanted one and still is one of my dream cars to have, drove once one in a used car dealership here with smallest engine 2,8 and didnt care about it having automatic gearbox 5l top model would be the choice

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #38
pitfield
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
It wasn't that funny.

The entire thing was so obviously setup - from the "cars bought on the street" - which were actually bought at auction.. not from some murderers on the street.. I am confident there are also bad neighbourhoods in the UK - JC just chooses not to talk about them.

The stopping of the pickup truck in the water (anyone could see the practice skid marks )

The setup with the folks at the store - another obvious one.

The sad part is how much they had to stage to get fit the stereotypes.

Typical Clarkson really. Seriously - if he dislikes the place so much, why does he keep coming back?
Typical RC45 reaction.

It was hardly a public information film recommending that no one go to the states.

I'm sure too that there are bad parts in the UK, that was not denied.

It was a joke, get a sense of humour.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #39
ARMAN
Regular User

ummm I am rewatching this(cant help ) and I have a feeling for 99% gas station is staged I mean "redneks in a pickup" coming etc it was just a coincedence someone came with pickup full of people.. the only "person" who was screaming was that gas station freak-a-"woman" watching theyr fases after they run away - pure fake LOL at least Hammond and James were looking fakely frightened 8)

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #40
pagani
Regular User

It's funny as hell those dumb rednecks.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #41
blinkmeat
Regular User

Does anyone know the name of the piano piece (song) playing near the end of the feature? Is it craig armstrong?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #42
jorge
Regular User

fantastic episode!!!

it seemed more like a comedy show :roflmao:
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #43
mevistox5
Regular User

Originally Posted by ferrarif1fan89
3. New Orleans is actually WORSE than you can imagine by seeing the video. It is truly a ghost town. My friend lost his home, and I went up there to help him recover, and I can honestly say I will never sleep well again seeing the desolation and destruction. It was as if a war had gone on.
New Orleans was the part that shocked me most. Not the devistation itself, but the fact that ONE YEAR after, it still lacks real rebuilding efforts.

Nico
mevistox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #44
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by ferrarif1fan89
I'd like to address some points made in the film:

1. Miami is NOT that bad. They just happened to go car shopping in Liberty City, which happens to be ridiculously rough.

2: Moroso motorsports track is NOT abandoned, it is only opened on the weekends. I would know, because i live 5 miles down the road from it, and get my gas from the track.

4. America is not as bad as you would gather from the video. Like has been said before, there ARE intellectuals, and we are overshadowed by rednecks, which are out in force by where I live.

Other than that, I loved the episode, and I liked recognizing the places they drove by in south Florida.

@RC, those aren;t practice skid marks at the end of the drag strip at Moroso, those have always been there.

And the scuffle at the store was not staged. That kind of thing happens by where I live, and judging by personal expierience of driving through the part of Alabama they were in, that was totally authentic. I am in no way proud of this, its quite embarrassing watching that and just thinking of the thoughts going through the heads of viewers around the world who had never been to America.
As another member in Florida I agree with that. The skidmarks at the end of the dragway have always been there. I have been to Moroso a few times to go racing and it is actually a fun track, it is not a ghost town like we are ment to believe.

Miami is a very nice city, as long as you stay out of the "downtown" area where they obvioulsy were.

I agree that the scuffle at the store was not staged, the rednecks in the pickup may have been a coincidence but it also might not have been. Rednecks really do react like that towards some people, especially when they insult NASCAR and country western music.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #45
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by pitfield
It was a joke, get a sense of humour.
It's funny how RC's always calling us 'eurocrats' a bunch of stuck up blokes with no sense of humor, and he's the one who's getting all uptight about this episode.

Personally, I found it funny as he11, be it staged or not. I still wouldn't mind going on a road trip across America with my boss, who GASP, happens to be AMERICAN! (and he's a damn fine bloke and very, very intelligent too!)

Lighten up RC, it's just a TV show, we 'eurocrats' can atleast see it as such :roll: