Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 05-31-2005, 01:29 AM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by astonmartinandy
Originally Posted by RC45

Why? The current Z06 out handles the 360 and the 360CS - the new one ill do the same to the F430 and the CS..
On what basis does do you mean that the ZO6 out handles the 360 & 360CS?

I haven't driven any of them so I cannot offer any first hand experience, but from what I have read [fromt those who have] the 360CS is a far more engaging drive than a ZO6..
Simple - Nurburgring lap times - as well as pure specs on paper.

I am so sick and tired of the fact that all the people seem to think that Ferrari and Porsche are the only decent performing cars on earth.

The Z06 hands the 360 it's arse on a platter - this is obvious and well known - and it matches the 360CS toe to toe.

Why do you think the F430 was created? To offer the Ferrari buyer aacar that stands a chance against the Yank (the Z06 and the German (the P911 GT3 etc) - sadly the F430 is abotu to be eclipsed by the new Porsche and Z06 - yet again.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:50 AM   #17
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Why? The current Z06 out handles the 360 and the 360CS - the new one ill do the same to the F430 and the CS..
On what basis does do you mean that the ZO6 out handles the 360 & 360CS?

I haven't driven any of them so I cannot offer any first hand experience, but from what I have read [fromt those who have] the 360CS is a far more engaging drive than a ZO6..
Simple - Nurburgring lap times - as well as pure specs on paper.

I am so sick and tired of the fact that all the people seem to think that Ferrari and Porsche are the only decent performing cars on earth.

The Z06 hands the 360 it's arse on a platter - this is obvious and well known - and it matches the 360CS toe to toe.

Why do you think the F430 was created? To offer the Ferrari buyer aacar that stands a chance against the Yank (the Z06 and the German (the P911 GT3 etc) - sadly the F430 is abotu to be eclipsed by the new Porsche and Z06 - yet again.
First off, I don't think that the 'only decent' performing cars on earth are Ferraris or Porsches. Having said that, as much of an "American Legend" that the 'Vette is, Ferrari and Porsche have been building their racing heritages for just as long.. and the road cars that they produce are both awe inspiring in terms of design and performance, but also because of their racing pedigree.

To be honest I don't think the ZO6 was even considered when they were creating the F430 - the Gallardo and 911 were. The ZO6 is in a different market; yes it is still a sports car, but it lacks their exclusivity and dynamic polish. You just don't see a mass produced Ferrari the same way you would a Daewoo/Chevrolet, and that stains the appeal of a Corvette for me.

Granted you will always be able to argue the 'working class hero' card and talk about bang per buck, and how much cheaper it is.. but it shows. Both in terms of how many Corvettes on the road, and in terms of just the ambience inside the car.

I imagine you'll now go on about how much better the ZO6 in specs or lap times etc, but I don't think that the Corvette will ever have that spine tingling appeal that a Ferrari or Porsche does
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:59 AM   #18
RC45
Regular User

I imagine you'll now go on about how much better the ZO6 in specs or lap times etc, but I don't think that the Corvette will ever have that spine tingling appeal that a Ferrari or Porsche does
No need to - besides, in real terms, they produced almost the same number of 360's as Z06's... makes one think about which is the mass produced status symbol, and which is the true sports car.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #19
raven1822
Regular User

They had about 5 of the new ZO6's at this years Mid Ohio ALMS race. The car was very impressive in person. I would have to consider one on price vs. performance alone. Many of GM exec. were at the race since Mid Ohio is considered GM's home race for the C6R's, a lady in the audience asked them how the new Z06 would stack up against the Viper. The Exec said that for an overall package the the Viper was not the target . . . the Ford GT, 430, and 911GT2 were the targets.
raven1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #20
godspeed06
Regular User

the only way the viper would have been comparable was if the new coupe version got the bump to over 600 hp like most of the viper enthusiasts were hoping for weeks ago. it did not. the z06 will most likely not have a problem with the viper. though the car hasnt been tested yet, from what we know i dont think those target cars are out of its reach. people can talk about how spectacular and invigorating and all that bullshit driving a ferrari is... people talk about them like each car comes with its own soul :roll:. all i can tell you is this, you can bash the z06 for being a chevy, but im sure the grins on all the owners faces are just as big as the ones on the ferrari owners faces...
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #21
inso
Regular User

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...&highlight=z06 this is what you guys should read. Vette is back with a BANG. Well it is easy to get 500hp from the base 6liter model, just look at lingenfelterīs site. Think how much can be gained from the new 7liter, i guess easy 650hp. And since everything else has also been bettered from C6, this car will kick some major ass. Too bad it is not sold over here, I might know one owner for one, if it were.
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #22
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
..people can talk about how spectacular and invigorating and all that bullshit driving a ferrari is... people talk about them like each car comes with its own soul :roll:. all i can tell you is this, you can bash the z06 for being a chevy, but im sure the grins on all the owners faces are just as big as the ones on the ferrari owners faces...
Sorry but I for one would have a much larger smile on my face waking up to a Ferrari than a Chevrolet. :roll:

As for the soul of a car, "and all that bullshit" as you so eloquently phrase it, I believe that these marques do have something special that isn't there on mass produced machinery.. but hey, maybe i'm wrong.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
Old 06-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #23
inso
Regular User

astonmartinandy, check the numbers posted here previously, 360 is quite massproduced car. not so special. F430 is very stylish inside, but bang for a buck, you know where to turn. It is not wise to compare these cars anyway, price is so far apart. My mate traded his M3 cab for C6, and seems really happy for his choice. Says that the feel good factor is bigger. I would buy Chevy everytime if i were to choose, just because it would be so much easier to get parts and cheaper, and anyone can repair it. Everything is engine out -jobs, if Ferrari is broken.
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
..people can talk about how spectacular and invigorating and all that bullshit driving a ferrari is... people talk about them like each car comes with its own soul :roll:. all i can tell you is this, you can bash the z06 for being a chevy, but im sure the grins on all the owners faces are just as big as the ones on the ferrari owners faces...
Sorry but I for one would have a much larger smile on my face waking up to a Ferrari than a Chevrolet. :roll:

As for the soul of a car, "and all that bullshit" as you so eloquently phrase it, I believe that these marques do have something special that isn't there on mass produced machinery.. but hey, maybe i'm wrong.
Well- go buya new Ferrari then.

Oh wait - you can't afford it.

So the argument is a stupid one - because if you could drop the $200K for a new F360/F430 you would have got because yo ucan aford it - then if you were a true auto enthusiast go get a Z06 as well for when you want to "just go like fucking hell".

This is the reason there a quite a number of extremely wealthy members of the Z06 forum - some with F360CS's and 911TT's, Murci'sand SL55/65's etc etc as their "I have money worship me" cars - and a Z06 (in some cases 2) as their "go like fucking hell and smile a lot" car.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #25
astonmartinandy
Regular User

So the argument is a stupid one - because if you could drop the $200K for a new F360/F430 you would have got because yo ucan aford it - then if you were a true auto enthusiast go get a Z06 as well for when you want to "just go like fucking hell".

This is the reason there a quite a number of extremely wealthy members of the Z06 forum - some with F360CS's and 911TT's, Murci'sand SL55/65's etc etc as their "I have money worship me" cars - and a Z06 (in some cases 2) as their "go like fucking hell and smile a lot" car.
The fact that I cannot afford a Ferrari is irrelevant. I cannot afford a Ferrari, or a ZO6 or even a Lada at the moment (i'm currently an inpoverished student)

The point you have clearly missed is that I would much prefer to buy a Ferrari than a Chevrolet. Even with cost constraints, I could buy a decent 2nd hand 355 for ZO6 money, and while it may well be slower (by some margin I would imagine these days) The thought of driving a Ferrari would excite me much, much more.

I am not discrediting the abilities or performance of the ZO6 in any way, but I am saying that given the choice, I would far prefer a Ferrari to a Chevrolet!!
Old 06-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #26
RC45
Regular User

The fact that I cannot afford a Ferrari is irrelevant. I cannot afford a Ferrari, or a ZO6 or even a Lada at the moment (i'm currently an inpoverished student)

The point you have clearly missed is that I would much prefer to buy a Ferrari than a Chevrolet. Even with cost constraints, I could buy a decent 2nd hand 355 for ZO6 money, and while it may well be slower (by some margin I would imagine these days) The thought of driving a Ferrari would excite me much, much more.

I am not discrediting the abilities or performance of the ZO6 in any way, but I am saying that given the choice, I would far prefer a Ferrari to a Chevrolet!!
And if comprehended what I wrote you would realize that many times, once people have achieved the ability to afford, even a used F-Car, they STILL end up parking a Z06 alongside it.

You couldn't buy a F355 or C5Z06 prices - and I am imagining it would be a struggle to find a decent F355 in the states for under $80K - we don't know for sure of the C6Z06 will be in this price range.

Either way, if you had to lend money to buy a used $80K F355 you probably don't have the money to maintain it anyway so it would a financially suicidal purchase anyway.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #27
godspeed06
Regular User

why are you so obsessed with just a badge? saying you would by a certain car even though it is much older, slower, and more expensive just bc it says "Ferrari" on it is a little beyond my comprehension. but go ahead and have fun with your overpriced, old, slow, few thousand dollar break job and oil change prancing horse... and one last question, have you ever driven a ferrari? how do you know what it will feel like compared to a Z06? how do you know it will be such an invigorating experience? anyone can see that your dream is to own and drive a ferrari and many people are like that, but the whole problem with that is the whole dream is built on marketing. ferarris are no longer THE benchmark of performance or even style. there is nothing to back up the marketing and the dream any longer except for stubborn people such as yourself who simply wont let it go as a result of their ignorance.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #28
astonmartinandy
Regular User

RC: I don't doubt that many of those who can afford a Ferrari also have a ZO6, and rationally a Ferrari will be a much more expensive proposition in the long run.

But as I said before, I would prefer a Ferrari..

Godspeed06: I have never driven a Ferrari, nor have I ever proclaimed to. Who are you to assume that my choice to prefer Ferrari as a marque to Corvette is based, or even influenced, by marketing? How many Ferrari adverts do you see on a daily basis compared to Chevrolet's?

How on earth can you assume, yet alone criticise the fact that I prefer one marque, on ignorance and stubborness?

Unfortunately what you have to try and comprehend is that sometimes a choice of car is emotive, and not entirely based on facts and figures.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #29
666fast
Regular User

And if comprehended what I wrote you would realize that many times, once people have achieved the ability to afford, even a used F-Car, they STILL end up parking a Z06 alongside it.

You couldn't buy a F355 or C5Z06 prices - and I am imagining it would be a struggle to find a decent F355 in the states for under $80K - we don't know for sure of the C6Z06 will be in this price range.

Either way, if you had to lend money to buy a used $80K F355 you probably don't have the money to maintain it anyway so it would a financially suicidal purchase anyway.
I think you'd be hard pressed to own a Ferrari on $100k/year. 80% of a years income on a car, probably not the best idea ever. You could probably swing an old 308 or 400i, but no one really wants those!

I'd prefer a Ferrari over a Z06, provided I could afford it. I've always wanted a 355. There is no way in hell I'd go into debt or bankruptcy for it though. If I couldn't afford a Ferrari, I'd have no problem rocking a Z06.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #30
graywolf624
Regular User

You could probably swing an old 308 or 400i, but no one really wants those!
Hey now.. Nostalgia is an odd thing.. I plan to have a 308 or 328 as a classic car in the years to come.. though it wont be my performance toy.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote