Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-16-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
godspeed06
Regular User

Default C6 vs. Z06

what do you guys think GM is going to do? will they make the first year C6 faster than the Z06, or will they hold it back to sell their remaining '04 Z06s. i've been at the corvetteforum.com forum for a long time and they've been debating this for a while. i think the C6 will come out with around 405 hp like the Z06 but will be lighter and have better brakes so it will most likely beat the Z06 around a track. i can't wait until i get to see it in person. I'll be at the Chicago show taking pictures of everything.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:26 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Progress is inevitable... but I feel everyone is incorrectling anticipating as large a leap forward from the C5 to C6 as there was from the C4 to C5.

If that was the case, then the C6 would jump way passed the likes of the Pagini Zonda and Enzo etc in terms of performance - which is not on the cards.

The C6 will probably sit right at a CAI modded Z06 in stock form.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #3
godspeed06
Regular User

If that was the case, then the C6 would jump way passed the likes of the Pagini Zonda and Enzo etc in terms of performance - which is not on the cards.
check this out...
http://autoweek.com/search/search_di...55975&record=2
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
check this out...
http://autoweek.com/search/search_di...55975&record=2
Pie in the sky BS from GM.

They can't even build reliable clutch/tranny/engines at regular power levels - besides, a lot can happen between now and when the "next Z06" is released.

You specifically asked C6-base vs current Z06, not "future-Z06"
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:51 PM   #5
godspeed06
Regular User

yea, i know what i asked about, that was just because he mentioned the other supercars. i'm really starting to get pissed about GM's BS, especially in the sport compact market. GM is just awful when it comes to that. they've been talking about superchargers for the new cav and sunfire for a while, and now they aren't going to make one. big surprise. i hope the new saturn ion red line is decent. thats about the only thing that can save them in the small to midsize car market. excluding cadillac.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
inso
Regular User

http://www.dozer.com/z06/

here´s one C5 that will help you get by until you get that C6. And no it´s not mine, there would be no use for it here in finland, -20C now..
inso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
Reznor
Regular User

I wouldn't understand why they would hold the c6 back. I wouldn't think that the current z06's would lose that much value just because the c6 is out. Plus I think that GM would want to make a showing by releasing the best and fastest car in its class. Why go sub-par?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:38 PM   #8
blah
Regular User

because the current Z06 owners would be pissed of that a base model vette has more HP. there is one way to make everyone happy, make the base C6 have same power as the Z06, yet make it alittle heavier. Anyways i highly doubt this blue devil will appear, if it did, its not very feasible. a 7.0 Litre Corvette? Can you imagine the gas mileage on that thing. why would they jump from a 5.7 Litre LS6, which they havent even really developed all the way out to a 7.0 Litre? There still so much more potential left in the LS6.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
Reznor
Regular User

So you are saying that they aren't going to release a new z06 when they release the new c6. I just don't see what the point in buying a new c6 would be if they are just going to release a more powerful version once all the current z06's are sold.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
hemi_fan
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
because the current Z06 owners would be pissed of that a base model vette has more HP. there is one way to make everyone happy, make the base C6 have same power as the Z06, yet make it alittle heavier. Anyways i highly doubt this blue devil will appear, if it did, its not very feasible. a 7.0 Litre Corvette? Can you imagine the gas mileage on that thing. why would they jump from a 5.7 Litre LS6, which they havent even really developed all the way out to a 7.0 Litre? There still so much more potential left in the LS6.
First off, I dont think people will be worried about the fuel economy of their car if they're buying a vette. I also doubt the 427 would use that much more gas than the LS6 anyway. I do think the C6 should be faster than the ZO6 because if they dont make it faster, they wont sell any. If they do, people will still want the last models of Z06 for collectors. I think they should build a fully decked out corvette like the blue devil because as soon as Ford builds their GT, Chevrolet will be the slowest of the big 3. The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars. Id personally love to see a new car with a 427, and I bet they could get the economy up to high teens maybe low 20mpg range if thats what you're worried about.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
Reznor
Regular User

The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars.
How do you figure? Maybe your abundance of vettes, quirky project ideas as in radios, spinners and so on give you an inside advantage?

Party hard.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #12
godspeed06
Regular User

the C6 Z06 is rumored to have 500hp, so it might be able to beat the viper, but we'll have to wait a while to see that. even if its not, it isn't the end of the world. i mean the vette is 30 grand cheaper than the viper and 100 grand cheaper than the GT. with lutz, i see no reason why they wouldn't make the blue devil. even if they only make 200 or 300, every single one would sell, and they would only appreciate in value. for comparison, they dropped a 500+ hp engine into a few '67 model vettes which is an insane amount of horsepower for the 60s. they are now selling for up to $650,000. i don't see why they can't do the same thing now.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:24 PM   #13
Grossi
Regular User

ive seen some pictures of the C6, it looks amazing!
Grossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #14
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by hemi_fan
Originally Posted by blah
First off, I dont think people will be worried about the fuel economy of their car if they're buying a vette. I also doubt the 427 would use that much more gas than the LS6 anyway. I do think the C6 should be faster than the ZO6 because if they dont make it faster, they wont sell any. If they do, people will still want the last models of Z06 for collectors. I think they should build a fully decked out corvette like the blue devil because as soon as Ford builds their GT, Chevrolet will be the slowest of the big 3. The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars. Id personally love to see a new car with a 427, and I bet they could get the economy up to high teens maybe low 20mpg range if thats what you're worried about.
People who buy vettes get some great gas mileage. It would be a step backwards for the vettes to get 13-17 MPG.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:51 PM   #15
godspeed06
Regular User

they could use the displacement on demand system or whatever it is called.