Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 01-22-2004, 03:42 AM   #46
666fast
Regular User

So what happens if you take it out? Any repercussions if you were to get into an accident?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:31 AM   #47
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
So what happens if you take it out? Any repercussions if you were to get into an accident?
Well it is cunningly tied into the airbag deployment triggering circuitry - so apart from not being able to deploy your airbags - no negative effects, as removing the little silver "blackbox" under the radio in the center console is part of race prep for these and many other cars.

The car makers and insurance guys like to tout that if you are in an accident you could always use the data to prove you tried to brake/avoid the accident etc... but the truth is, in these car, just shifting into 3rd gear puts over the speed limit and into jail territory if you hit someone - so the chances of the data clearing you is a lot less likely than the data being used to crucify you...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #48
DanHenderson
Regular User

Car and Driver's first look came out on the C6 and these are their estimates:

C/D-ESTIMATED PERFORMANCE (6-speed):
Zero to 60 mph 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph 10.0 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 12.7 sec @ 113 mph
Top speed (drag limited) 180 mph

PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving 18-19 mpg
EPA highway driving 25-28 mpg

Still, it doesn't beat a Z06, but it's also $8,000 less at base MSRP. Added to which you also get a much better interior in the C6 than you will ever find in a C5 and it most likely handles better since it has a smaller exterior and a longer wheelbase, and doesn't weigh too much more.

Should be interesting to see the C6 Z06 next year.
DanHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:35 AM   #49
altezza
Regular User

click here for an article regarding the GM's Advanced Automatic Crash Notification system

diagram
Old 02-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #50
vegetoxx
Regular User

I think the new vette is going to rock, however, don't forget about the all new svt mustang cobra that should be out around the same time as the Z06. I know the cobra can't match the Z06 in handling.... but in raw power (straight-line) power the cobra should be competitive. There's more at the Blue Oval then the GT supercar. Who know's the Shelby Cobra could be in works to dominate both the vette and viper.
vegetoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #51
nthfinity
Regular User

i havent read the entire thread, and been out for a few weeks, so im a bit backed up. it was written earlier by greywolf that ford is in the bad in having a halo car in the GT; whilst, this isnt foriegn territory for GM in its limited edition corvettes... eg, ZR-1 in 1995, i believe they only made 368 examples. i know this is different in that there is no "base" model ford GT, but at least ford is making more cars that can go quickly, and are quite fun on track days, and easy to upgrade. Ford putting a supercharger on the 4.6 was way more intellegent then a supercharger on a v6.

the new C6 hands down is better then the C5 in every way, except to personal tastes, such as styling. the zo6 is better then the c6, and we will have to wait til perhaps the next NAIAS to see the replacement Z series vette. it is likely to be pushing 500 ponies, as well as be priced similar to the Viper SRT-10. because of this, i see further manufacturer backed tuning of the 5.4 GT motor.

any true high performance vehicle is also a high maintanence vehicle. im sorry i dont agree at all with the idea that a sports compact with FWD is sporty in the least. it is good that the opel speedster base in making the pontiac solstice. i hope ford follows tune with bringing a awd focus turbo... but in dont think thats going to happen...
i love the corvette, current, and future immensely.