Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 04-03-2005, 10:39 PM   #31
gobs3z
Regular User

Why not just do the 3.8 Supercharged GTP engine and tranny swap. The automatic is faster and more reliable anyways.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #32
T-Bird
Regular User

I don't think that would be an option in the Grand Am it would be too difficult.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:36 PM   #33
ZfrkS62
Regular User

yeah, but automatics are just sacreligous in a sports car. I'm sure there is a way to get a hold of one.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #34
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
yeah, but automatics are just sacreligous in a sports car. I'm sure there is a way to get a hold of one.
I dunno if i'de consider the Grand Am a sports car, but i did find out they made them in manuals.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #35
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by AlienDB7
Even if the getrag 5spd can fit, it probably won't be able to handle the extra torque from the V6. According to getrag's site, it's designed for upto 250Nm (278Nm for the 3.4).

The tranny on my car is having about 4% slipperage already...
I know all about that, well not the slipping, but my autobox can only take 250lbft and the ECU limits torque accordingly. If I had the 5 speed I'd be at 290lbft with my chip :x !

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #36
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by TransAm2001
Originally Posted by AlienDB7
Even if the getrag 5spd can fit, it probably won't be able to handle the extra torque from the V6. According to getrag's site, it's designed for upto 250Nm (278Nm for the 3.4).

The tranny on my car is having about 4% slipperage already...
I know all about that, well not the slipping, but my autobox can only take 250lbft and the ECU limits torque accordingly. If I had the 5 speed I'd be at 290lbft with my chip :x !
Ahh gotta love big overbuilt American Transmissions. Mine can take 100 lb/ft more than stock without any issues a fully built one for about $2500 USD can get me one capable of 1000lb/ft. Remember HP means little to nothing in a transmission.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #37
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z
I dunno if i'de consider the Grand Am a sports car, but i did find out they made them in manuals.
It's probably the most affordable sports car GM had above the Cavilier, and we all know THAT didn't come with a V6

Old 04-03-2005, 11:54 PM   #38
T-Bird
Regular User

actually the Cavalier was available with a V6 for a while until the new (last) style came out then they cancelled that engine choice. the Z24 had a V6 in it.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:00 AM   #39
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
actually the Cavalier was available with a V6 for a while until the new (last) style came out then they cancelled that engine choice. the Z24 had a V6 in it.
i don't suppose that it came with a manual if so than i could just get that one and stick it to the GA. looks like i may have to call the Pontiac dealer tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 AM   #40
T-Bird
Regular User

well the 1990-94 Z24 V6 Cavalier came standard with a 5-speed Manual transaxle.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #41
gobs3z
Regular User

i don't suppose that it came with a manual if so than i could just get that one and stick it to the GA. looks like i may have to call the Pontiac dealer tomorrow.
Why not just use the Getrag 5-speed manual transmission that came on the Grand Am.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #42
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z
Why not just use the Getrag 5-speed manual transmission that came on the Grand Am.
Because fom what i read, that one hooked up to the 2.4L 4 cylinder. if it will attatch to the V6 then that one will definetly be an option because i know first hand about Getrag's reliability.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:49 AM   #43
T-Bird
Regular User

I've actually done a trans job on a 3.1 V6 although it was an Automatic and I can tell you it isn't that difficult of a job if you have the proper equipment, in your home garage it may be difficult since you have to remove the sub frame/ Cross member and support the engine from the top then remove all the bell housing bolts, 2 of which reguire like a 14 inch extention to get too. lets just say Flex joint sockets are a godsend in such a job. Any how if you are good and have a lift and trans jack you can get the old one out in 45 minutes tops if it's your first one. (this guy bought a replacement junk yard tranny that shot out in a week so we had to do it again.) so with the conversion to manual i.e. cut out the firewall, install clutch master cylinder, Reflash ECU, then install transaxle then Allignment and your done.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:08 AM   #44
AlienDB7
Regular User

FAQ from the GA owners club forum about the swap (on the 2.4 anyway):
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...b&threadid=106
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #45
Aleighy
Regular User

Shoot, i just lost control on my own thread, not to mention my car. For some reason I think ZfrkS just became the new owner and decision maker for my baby. Anyhow, I like all the work you boys are doin on her, I'd love to see her with the manual. And as long as we're doin this, what do ya'll think is the best turbocharger for my car? Now, it sems as though ZfrkS has let my secret out (thanks a lot :cry: )...I dont know how to drive a stick. Sad and pathetic, aint it? So after we put this new tranny in, whos gunna teach me how to handle it? Any volunteers?

>BONK<
Aleighy is offline   Reply With Quote